Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shrek manages to eat his dinner about 30 minutes before I get off work...I quit worrying about his dinner and just take care of mine. I too eat lunch around 2 or 3...

I forgot to weigh in today so will have to do it in the morning. I have been walking about 20 minutes a day around our complex at my own speed with my cane. I am trying to set my rides up for the pool but it is not going well. They have cut several of the busses for that route and it is a busy time with getting people to work, appointments and dialysis. Those are all priorities over social rides (which they classify exercise as). I am only driving to the grocery store these days and the pool is in the next Municipality. So, the walking is my next best choice.

I have a breathing test tomorrow (routine every 6 months regarding my asthma) so I will probably not walk again until Thursday. I don't want to be out of breath for the test. I will be taking our rapid transit there and back so that trip will take enough out of me without adding an extra walk.

But I am getting a lot of encouragement from reading about all of you. I am going through a pain flare at the moment and have realized I just can't expect too much of myself but also can't let it go completely. I have been using my pedal exerciser while sitting at the desk and doing my arm weights while watching TV. Every little bit helps.

Congratulations to all of you. You are doing great! :clap:

Thanks for the tips, I 'll give that a try. I enjoy breakfast as long as it's not a busy day of catering breakfasts, I love to eat in the morning. It's tough to stop for lunch as it's a busy time so lunch is usually around 3:00 for me. At suppertime I would much rather just snack my night away rather than eat a meal. There are so many people (family) in & out of the house, with different meal schedules, it's making it a challenge to stay on track.

If you are going to snack, then keep crunchy foods on hand. They make you chew, and the act of chewing tells your brain that you are eating a meal. Snack on a really crunchy apple. celery, carrots. Foods that make a sound. I used to keep a jar of carrot and celery sticks in salted water in the fridge for the kids. I kept it right in front of the fridge so it was the first thing the saw. they may not have been fond of cooked veggies, but always ate them raw. :angel:

If you are going to snack, then keep crunchy foods on hand. They make you chew, and the act of chewing tells your brain that you are eating a meal. Snack on a really crunchy apple. celery, carrots. Foods that make a sound. I used to keep a jar of carrot and celery sticks in salted water in the fridge for the kids. I kept it right in front of the fridge so it was the first thing the saw. they may not have been fond of cooked veggies, but always ate them raw. :angel:

Caitlin eats everything I put infront of her but Daniel is fussy with veggies. He does love raw celery, green beans, carrots, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, baby spinach and baby cos lettuce and raw peas!

The only cooked veggies he will eat are broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, all squash, beetroot and sweet potatoes. He eats baked beans but I have to add fried onion, mayo, chutney and hotsauce.
He likes brown lentils in brown rice with chopped tomatoes and onion.
If I make soup he'll eat any veggies!
Strange child lol!

Up five pounds, but I am not surprised or upset. I blew the diet a few times and while it is not a weight-loss diet, it does affect it. It is pick myself up, dust myself off and take another run at it! :)

Up five pounds, but I am not surprised or upset. I blew the diet a few times and while it is not a weight-loss diet, it does affect it. It is pick myself up, dust myself off and take another run at it! :)

Just the fact that you have found a diet that does work for you, makes you a winner. Keep hanging in there. Those five pounds will drop off when you least expect them to. Won't you be happily surprised? :angel:

Thanks, Addie! :) You are so right - when I first lost the 15 pounds so easily I was so surprised. And it will happen again when I can get myself to stay on track again.

This isn't a diet I would choose to go on, but all the health benefits (less pain, depression; more movement, energy) far outweigh the strict boundaries of the diet. And if I don't follow it I know that gaining weight is probably the least of my worries - I don't feel good and that is the most important factor for me.

Like all of you with your diabetes, if I cheat, I am putting myself at risk. It isn't quite the same risk, but I "get sick" and have been there way too often in my life.

You'll get there, slow and steady wins the race :) Just think in kilograms, you're only up 2.2 kgs!

I gain that much once a month for 5 - 7 days lol!

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It's funny because when they weigh Joie at the vet's office and say he lost a kilo, I say "no he lost 2.2 pounds - it sounds better than one kilo!"

Odette, I really enjoyed our little pact we made yesterday about our "health diets". You inspired me and I was a good girl today.

Only problem is I am still really down and in pain - not to do with the diet, but very little sleep last night thanks to Joie being sick again and then having to drive and take transit to go to my breathing test today (which I did really well - he said I have lost weight since six months ago and my breathing, pre-inhalers was better than post-inhalers then). I am going to take some time to myself and try and get rested. I may have to go see about my pain as well but hopefully sleep with solve it.

So ,Miss Snip, just take one day or even one meal or snack at a time and you will feel better soon. You can PM me if you need to "talk". :)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It's funny because when they weigh Joie at the vet's office and say he lost a kilo, I say "no he lost 2.2 pounds - it sounds better than one kilo!"

Odette, I really enjoyed our little pact we made yesterday about our "health diets". You inspired me and I was a good girl today.

Only problem is I am still really down and in pain - not to do with the diet, but very little sleep last night thanks to Joie being sick again and then having to drive and take transit to go to my breathing test today (which I did really well - he said I have lost weight since six months ago and my breathing, pre-inhalers was better than post-inhalers then). I am going to take some time to myself and try and get rested. I may have to go see about my pain as well but hopefully sleep with solve it.

So ,Miss Snip, just take one day or even one meal or snack at a time and you will feel better soon. You can PM me if you need to "talk". :)

I've been good too :) Thank you for inspiring me! It does take time to feel better after misbehaving with diet etc. for so long.
I promise I'll be patient and take things easy and you must do the same! We can do this!
Think I'll go PM the rest of what I want to say :LOL:

OMGosh! I gained 4 pounds this winter! Not from overheating but because I cut down on my running drastically due to weather. Better get my but on the treadmill before Spring training season. My first race is April 27. Hope to be down 6 pounds by then.

OMGosh! I gained 4 pounds this winter! Not from overheating but because I cut down on my running drastically due to weather. Better get my but on the treadmill before Spring training season. My first race is April 27. Hope to be down 6 pounds by then.

Where are you running? :angel:

Major Breakthrough!!!!

I finally have gotten past the biggest hurdle in my allergy diet. My body is telling me what to and what NOT to eat! I went off dairy because it was affecting my kidney problems and that was just too much for me to handle because my yogurt is such a big part of the candida "killing" treatment. I have it morning and night.

So what happened was I was eating everything I shouldn't - chocolate, ice cream (yes, dairy), hot dogs, and so on trying to find what I needed. I am back on the yogurt and I had ONE raisin (TB's Mom brings them fresh from California and they are delicious) and I felt instantly yucky. I had my yogurt and I could feel the goodness it was doing.

Yes!!! This, the fact I am getting better sleeps and the wet weather has subsided at least for now, and my pain, emotions and outlook are getting back on track. :)

Snip, thanks for the encouragement (will PM you soon)

I have been missing the pool terribly. I have been using my elliptical at home, weight is still staying about the same. Mom is still in hospital, but now in rehab, maybe only another week. Dh & the daughter said they would go have a long lunch with her tomorrow. I am so looking forward to the pool.

Major Breakthrough!!!!

I finally have gotten past the biggest hurdle in my allergy diet. My body is telling me what to and what NOT to eat! I went off dairy because it was affecting my kidney problems and that was just too much for me to handle because my yogurt is such a big part of the candida "killing" treatment. I have it morning and night.

So what happened was I was eating everything I shouldn't - chocolate, ice cream (yes, dairy), hot dogs, and so on trying to find what I needed. I am back on the yogurt and I had ONE raisin (TB's Mom brings them fresh from California and they are delicious) and I felt instantly yucky. I had my yogurt and I could feel the goodness it was doing.

Yes!!! This, the fact I am getting better sleeps and the wet weather has subsided at least for now, and my pain, emotions and outlook are getting back on track. :)

Snip, thanks for the encouragement (will PM you soon)

So glad it's finally paying off for you :w00t2:

A friend of mine called me yesterday. She's been trying to lose 35 lb for ages. Back in November, she asked me how I "shrunk." So I told her. She was doubtful she could give up sugar, but started drinking water with lemon juice/vinegar 15 minutes before eating and throughout the day. She also did the "switch up" (eating her big meal in the morning, with veggies, the grains were hard for her, but she finally was able to add those in in January). She's lost 15 lb without doing ANYTHING else. She's so thrilled and, she isn't craving sugar or hungry between meals. We've known each other for 30 years. She has always been trying to lose 25-35 lb. Sometimes has lost it, but has gained it back. She said that eating this way has been an epiphany for her. It isn't just me--eating a breakfast that includes veggies, proteins, and a bit of carbs WORKS (or maybe it is the water with lemon/vinegar). I'm so happy for her. Oh, and her blood pressure has gone down so that it is at the high-end of normal. No, she hasn't added exercise, but she has lost weight and feels better.

Congrats to your friend (and to you)! That is an inspiring story. :)

I was actually just thinking about this thread. Thanks (sarcastically) to the fact I have been having a major pain flare, I have (enthusiastically) re-lost my weight and am back to 200 pounds where I was at Christmas.

We are at a cross-roads. It seems that the anti-candida diet is helping many things but is playing havoc with my sugar levels, moods and the biggest... my pain levels. To a point it helps all of these, but the diet (along with my other food allergies) so limits what I can eat that I am not getting the nutrition I need and am living on a whole pile of supplements. I take enough medication already thanks to my pain and other conditions and while the prescriptions are paid for, the supplements are not.

So, I am trying to find the close-to-perfect balance of food, exercise, rest and medication to manage my weight, pain levels and general health. I have been having a lot of problems sleeping lately so if I can get that under control I think it will help everything else!

I am encouraged by all of your stories.

CWS, I HAVE to stay away from all forms of sugar so to hear of two people who can do it to lose weight is very positive! :)

Back
Top Bottom