"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-04-2012, 02:54 AM   #601
Assistant Cook

The most important part of losing weight is to not beat yourself up, ever! We've lost almost 200 pounds as a middle aged couple and it's taken time and persistence, but as we've cut out almost all processed foods from our diet and are now eating mostly real food that we cook at home, we feel better than we can believe.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:18 AM   #602
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCorinna View Post
The most important part of losing weight is to not beat yourself up, ever! We've lost almost 200 pounds as a middle aged couple and it's taken time and persistence, but as we've cut out almost all processed foods from our diet and are now eating mostly real food that we cook at home, we feel better than we can believe.
Congratulations that is a fantastic team effort!

What are the basics of your plan/routine?

Old 02-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #603
Chef Extraordinaire

Since I have been sick with this cold I have lost ten pounds. I have only eaten two bowls of chicken soup. I have absolutely no appetite and am not hungry. This is not good for a diabetic. My son bought me a package of striped shortbread cookies. And they sit unopened. These are my very favorite cookies. I am drinking plenty of fluids. And that is my only intake. I think next Thursday I am going in to see the doctor. It is time for my six month checkup. I don't want to lose too much weight. I would have to buy all new clothes.

I am feeling much better and am putting around the house. Right now I am doing laundry. Have the kitchen half cleaned. Did the bathroom earlier. So I should have my appetite back.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #604
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Since I have been sick with this cold I have lost ten pounds. I have only eaten two bowls of chicken soup. I have absolutely no appetite and am not hungry. This is not good for a diabetic. My son bought me a package of striped shortbread cookies. And they sit unopened. These are my very favorite cookies. I am drinking plenty of fluids. And that is my only intake. I think next Thursday I am going in to see the doctor. It is time for my six month checkup. I don't want to lose too much weight. I would have to buy all new clothes.

I am feeling much better and am putting around the house. Right now I am doing laundry. Have the kitchen half cleaned. Did the bathroom earlier. So I should have my appetite back.
Eat!!! It's tough for me to do the nursey thing from so far away!!!
Old 02-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #605
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Eat!!! It's tough for me to do the nursey thing from so far away!!!
My daughter is taking me out to lunch for pizza. I will have to eat or she will get suspicious. I will have a Pepsi with it. She asked me if I wanted an eggplant parm. No, I feel like pizza. It has been a long time since I had any. I will try to get something down. This being Saturday and your day off, I don't want you to have to do the nursey thing. After we eat, we are both going to get our hair cut. She knew I had a cold, but not how bad it was or how sick I was with it.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #606
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCorinna View Post
The most important part of losing weight is to not beat yourself up, ever!.
Hmm, I would have thought beating yourself up would burn a lot of calories, with all of that punching and rolling around.. (sorry for the groaner)
Old 02-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #607
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My daughter is taking me out to lunch for pizza. I will have to eat or she will get suspicious. I will have a Pepsi with it. She asked me if I wanted an eggplant parm. No, I feel like pizza. It has been a long time since I had any. I will try to get something down. This being Saturday and your day off, I don't want you to have to do the nursey thing. After we eat, we are both going to get our hair cut. She knew I had a cold, but not how bad it was or how sick I was with it.
Good...I can head back to my vegetative state and off "High Alert."
Old 02-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #608
Senior Cook

I too am slimming. (Though you'd never know based on my Superbowl menu.) taking a day off tomorrow, but I will go to the gym and get my run in. I am 3 pounds into a 25 pound weigh loss goal.

Good luck to everyone!
Old 02-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #609
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebLynn View Post
I too am slimming. (Though you'd never know based on my Superbowl menu.) taking a day off tomorrow, but I will go to the gym and get my run in. I am 3 pounds into a 25 pound weigh loss goal.

Good luck to everyone!

way to go, deb! i like your super bowl pardon clause....
Old 02-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #610
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm doing the low carb thing to try to lose the 30 pounds I gained since July, when I quit smoking (and another 10 that were excess in July). I have had very good success with low carb in the past and it doesn't adversely affect my cholesterol levels.

However, it's much harder when trying to keep sodium levels reasonable.

PrincessFiona, you soaked olives in plain water to leach out the salt. How many soakings? How long? How much of the salt do you think you got out?