"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #611
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm doing the low carb thing to try to lose the 30 pounds I gained since July, when I quit smoking (and another 10 that were excess in July). I have had very good success with low carb in the past and it doesn't adversely affect my cholesterol levels.

However, it's much harder when trying to keep sodium levels reasonable.

PrincessFiona, you soaked olives in plain water to leach out the salt. How many soakings? How long? How much of the salt do you think you got out?
I soaked them in filtered water, changed the water each day, until the soak of the day yielded clear water, no color. It was three days and I reduced the salt level considerably, probably about 75%. Then you can taste the olive, not the salt.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #612
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I soaked them in filtered water, changed the water each day, until the soak of the day yielded clear water, no color. It was three days and I reduced the salt level considerably, probably about 75%. Then you can taste the olive, not the salt.
Thank you. Gonna go soak some olives.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #613
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Good...I can head back to my vegetative state and off "High Alert."
I had three slices of a small pizza and a half Pepsi. But I left the crust. I hope you are feeling better. It is lousy when you don't feel better and don't know the reason.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #614
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I had three slices of a small pizza and a half Pepsi. But I left the crust. I hope you are feeling better. It is lousy when you don't feel better and don't know the reason.
I have actually pinned it down, intolerance to one of my medications. They had me on 2 Cholesterol medications, I stopped one about 4 days ago and I feel great! Also, my sodium levels were dropping, another thing that can mess you up. Blood sugars have been fine, 95-105.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #615
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I have actually pinned it down, intolerance to one of my medications. They had me on 2 Cholesterol medications, I stopped one about 4 days ago and I feel great! Also, my sodium levels were dropping, another thing that can mess you up. Blood sugars have been fine, 95-105.
I was living in Texas when I ws pregnant with my fifth child. The third trimester was during the hottest summer months. I was concerned about taking in too much salt. The doctor told me that I needed salt. There are chemicals in salt that the body needs. Glad you are feeling better. I had my cholesterol cut back also. Sometimes I think the doctors overdose the patient.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #616
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
see i told you those cholesterol meds. were bad. keep an eye on the one you are taking. any muscle aches, stop taking and see the doctor. glad you are feeling better. the muscle deterioration takes awhile.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #617
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
see i told you those cholesterol meds. were bad. keep an eye on the one you are taking. any muscle aches, stop taking and see the doctor. glad you are feeling better. the muscle deterioration takes awhile.
No muscle problems, but that icky stomach feeling is gone. I think I outgrew two meds, I'm seeing the PA on Monday.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #618
Senior Cook

Well, I'm down 3.8 pounds for the first three weeks. It's slow progress but at least the needle on the scale is going in the right direction.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #619
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Thank you. Gonna go soak some olives.
PF, I'm guessing you weren't soaking kalamata olives? Finally, today, they taste like they aren't too salty. I can see from this thread that I started soaking them on 4 Feb.

I think it's that shiny skin that repels the water.

I'm going to try some of the green ones with pimentos next. They should be easier.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #620
Master Chef

Quote:
PF, I'm guessing you weren't soaking kalamata olives? Finally, today, they taste like they aren't too salty. I can see from this thread that I started soaking them on 4 Feb.

I think it's that shiny skin that repels the water.

I'm going to try some of the green ones with pimentos next. They should be easier.
Try soaking the green ones in Gin!