"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #661
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingBuddy101 View Post
Not only am I trying to lose weight but overall change the way I eat. I do portion control and cut most fried foods out. I love my french fries so i will just portion them. When I make homemade sweet and sour chicken I either grill the chicken breast or pan fry it. No deep frying with batter. Got to start somewhere.
That is a great way to start ! It's much less stressful and shocking to your mind and body than doing a diet.

I found that portion control is really easy. You get results and don't feel deprived.

Small alterations in the way you cook will become a welcome habit that will also give great results.

There will be a time or 2 when you stray from all of that and indulge .. don't worry about that .. acknowledge that you enjoyed it and then get back at it.

The problem with diets is that sooner or later you will go off the diet and fall back into the old routine.

Small changes will bring about a much better and long lasting result.

Good luck and much success !!

Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #662
Chef Extraordinaire

i agree with all that, however at the moment i am stuck. that depresses me and make it hard to hang in.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #663
Assistant Cook

I lost 20 pounds in in January 2011 and kept it off. I fell off the wagon a couple times... lol! I rather dip my food rather then smoother it in sauce or portion out sauce on my food. Portion control is my key. I eat my big meal at lunch time.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #664
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Weight is stalled, but I'm losing inches...so I am happy. I went and bought a big package of safety pins for alterations until I can start buying new clothes.
My weight loss has stalled for the last 6 months! I'm really not trying too hard though. I have had more than one person ask me if I had lost more weight, which makes me feel great!

I just need to incorporate more exercise, I am not motivated since I am on my feet 9 hours at work and come home and cook for an hour, but one day I'm just going to do it, I swear that I will

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #665
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
My weight is finally going down. I've lost 10 pounds. My "fat" jeans are too big. Still have 30 or so to go.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #666
Executive Chef

bravo, tl! now get rid of the too-big jeans so there is no possible path of return.... :)
Old 03-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #667
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
bravo, tl! now get rid of the too-big jeans so there is no possible path of return.... :)
Thanks Vit.

It doesn't work that way for me. If I get rid of the "fat" jeans, I'll just need them again in a week or so. Sort of a Murphy's Law kinda thing. So, I will just have to keep the danged things, even though I'm trying to get rid of stuff.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #668
Executive Chef

but tl, don't you see that so long as those too-big jeans have a place in your home they will assume proprietary residence there? disposing of them immediately would be a positive of untold layers of inspiration going forward....
Old 03-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #669
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
but tl, don't you see that so long as those too-big jeans have a place in your home they will assume proprietary residence there? disposing of them immediately would be a positive of untold layers of inspiration going forward....
Sorry, I know this from personal experience. If I get rid of them, I will likely gain weight so I can curse getting rid of them.

If I keep them, they simply annoy me by taking up space. I can live with that better than I can live with regaining weight. There is also something inspiring about a pair of jeans that I can't wear because they are too big.

Your logic seems sound and I'm sure it works well for some people.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #670
Cook

I'm trying! My problem is not with "fast food" or sugar or fried foods. More with portions, bread, work schedules etc... We for the most part eat home cooked meals from scratch. I just eat too much:( Also I generally work from 1pm-midnight, eat dinner between 5 & 6 then work for another 6-7 hours and it's time for another meal. Usually a couple pieces of toast.
My plan is replace 1 meal every day with a salad, no more after work snacks. If need be I always have carrot & celery sticks in the fridge for snacking. No more second helpings at dinner.
Here's hoping it helps!