"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #681
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Eight days into the Sugar Blockers Diet and loving it! I have lost 9 pounds so far, and James has lost 10 or 11. We are not going hungry, and that is a good thing! Also, my blood glucose levels are really good.
That is great news!

I was watching a piece about chia seeds on TV earlier and I think I need to pick some up. It seems that a tablespoon of them has the same amount of fiber that is contained in a cup of oat bran. That should go along way toward insuring a full feeling.

Keep up the good work!

Old 05-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #682
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
That is great news!

I was watching a piece about chia seeds on TV earlier and I think I need to pick some up. It seems that a tablespoon of them has the same amount of fiber that is contained in a cup of oat bran. That should go along way toward insuring a full feeling.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks! I found chia seeds on ebay for $24 for 3 pounds (free shipping). We love them in things, and I even like them plain.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #683
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Congratulations on your weight loss!! Good for you, it has to feel great!

Aqua chi for me tonight I need to get more conscience what I am putting in my mouth, I have alot to lose.
About having more conscience about what you are putting in your mouth, I saw an idea that might help. Rather than writing down what you have already eaten, keep a food journal and write down what you are about to eat. That way you have time to ask yourself, do I really want to eat all of that?

Good luck! I know I have a lot to lose too, and so does James.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #684
Chef Extraordinaire

Iwent to the pool early & got 50 minutes of water walking in at the pool before aqua chi class. My knee is still a little sore but I know that it will feel better in the morning.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #685
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Iwent to the pool early & got 50 minutes of water walking in at the pool before aqua chi class. My knee is still a little sore but I know that it will feel better in the morning.
I was hoping to be able to join the water excercise program, But it has been nixed by my health plan. Because of my heart condition, they would require for me to sign a disclaimer. I was so looking forward to it as a means to get some much needed excercise and to help with losing weight. Although at the doctor's this morning, I have lost another pound. And not from trying. It is this stupid eating thing I have been going through. But I am still plugging away. Today I ate more of the watermelon and opened a can of cold beans that I had in the fridge. It was a small can, and it took me more than an hour to get it all down. The day I gain a pound instead of losing one, I will know I am on the road to recovery.

Now my clothes and shoes are starting to get too big. I have gone down one cup size in my bra, and my shoes which I usually buy 5.5 EEE are way too wide and falling off my feet. I have a smaller pair and I thinki it is time to get them out of the shoe box. Some of my tops are just falling off me. The shoulder seams are halfway down my arms. Right now I cannot afford a whole new wardrobe.

For my height I should weigh 105 pounds. Instead I am at 146. So I do need to lose more, but not this way. I have lost more than ten pounds since March. If I can conquer this eating problem, then I can lose the weight by just eating sensibly.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #686
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie

I was hoping to be able to join the water excercise program, But it has been nixed by my health plan. Because of my heart condition, they would require for me to sign a disclaimer. I was so looking forward to it as a means to get some much needed excercise and to help with losing weight. Although at the doctor's this morning, I have lost another pound. And not from trying. It is this stupid eating thing I have been going through. But I am still plugging away. Today I ate more of the watermelon and opened a can of cold beans that I had in the fridge. It was a small can, and it took me more than an hour to get it all down. The day I gain a pound instead of losing one, I will know I am on the road to recovery.

Now my clothes and shoes are starting to get too big. I have gone down one cup size in my bra, and my shoes which I usually buy 5.5 EEE are way too wide and falling off my feet. I have a smaller pair and I thinki it is time to get them out of the shoe box. Some of my tops are just falling off me. The shoulder seams are halfway down my arms. Right now I cannot afford a whole new wardrobe.

For my height I should weigh 105 pounds. Instead I am at 146. So I do need to lose more, but not this way. I have lost more than ten pounds since March. If I can conquer this eating problem, then I can lose the weight by just eating sensibly.
What's the problem with signing the disclaimer? As long as you sign it knowing you are going to be careful, take it easy, wouldn't a little very light exercise be good?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #687
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
What's the problem with signing the disclaimer? As long as you sign it knowing you are going to be careful, take it easy, wouldn't a little very light exercise be good?
It would. But even though the lifeguard knows CPR, there is no medical personnel there. That is the problem. They want to know that should I start to have chest pains, that there is oxygen available immediately. Nobody there is qualified to administer oxygen. This is a public pool and run by the Parks Department. It involves more responsibility than they are qualified to administer or willinig to take on.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #688
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It would. But even though the lifeguard knows CPR, there is no medical personnel there. That is the problem. They want to know that should I start to have chest pains, that there is oxygen available immediately. Nobody there is qualified to administer oxygen. This is a public pool and run by the Parks Department. It involves more responsibility than they are qualified to administer or willinig to take on.
Is there a senior health center or something similar that has a pool you could use? What about the Y? I hope you can find something. That would be great for you. We are hoping to join a local (15 miles away) aquatic center soon.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:39 AM   #689
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
About having more conscience about what you are putting in your mouth, I saw an idea that might help. Rather than writing down what you have already eaten, keep a food journal and write down what you are about to eat. That way you have time to ask yourself, do I really want to eat all of that?

I find that it helps me to use smaller plates and glasses. I also keep measuring cups in various foods to help me with portion control. One example is that I am supposed to limit myself to 1/2 cup of my homemade granola so I put a 1/3 cup measure in the storage container. I use the 1/3 because I tend to heap it up when I take a scoop, I figure using the 1/3 cup gets me about where I am supposed to be without thinking. The whole idea of dieting seems to be a series of small sustained changes and not just one big miracle. I guess all we can do is to keep taking small steps toward our individual goals.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #690
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L

I really like that idea. I use livestrong, but I'm really bad about being consistent with it. I drop weight when I use it because it makes me think about what I'm eating. Seeing the calories on a big Mac makes me decide to order a salad (with grilled chicken, no cheese, and I only use a little bit of the dressing). But when I go back to not using it., after a couple months my jeans are tight again.