Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a little bit of good medical news. I had my annual doctor visit yesterday and discovered that not only did I lose 15 lbs. but more importantly all my blood sugar levels have returned to the normal / healthy range. It's a start in the right direction.

I'm thinking of picking up some ankle weights to wear while at work. I think you would use more calories just going about your normal routines with those. Any thoughts on that?

Congratulations! :clap: :cool:

I have a little bit of good medical news. I had my annual doctor visit yesterday and discovered that not only did I lose 15 lbs. but more importantly all my blood sugar levels have returned to the normal / healthy range. It's a start in the right direction.

I'm thinking of picking up some ankle weights to wear while at work. I think you would use more calories just going about your normal routines with those. Any thoughts on that?

Great news, Mmyap!

Yay!!! That's excellent news!

Nothing stopping you from going up and down the stairs before or after your appointments! ;)

Unfortunately, the upper floor's stairwells are not traveled as heavily as the lower floors...I wouldn't want to pitch over up there.:ROFLMAO: I do walk the stairs from the lower Parking level to the 3rd floor where the Heart Institute is...that's 5 flights.:)

I dropped the "brat dog" off with the friend who will be "doggy sitting" the brat dog while I'm away (half the time at her house, half the time at mine). She said, "OMG, you are so skinny!" I haven't been called "skinny" since I was 21 years old. I loved it! Of course, she was walking behind me--and I never have had a butt...and maybe the rain was blurring her vision...

Last edited:
I thought I would post this video as inspiration. George Takei was born in 1937, he's 73 years old!

The George Takei Happy Dance - YouTube

a great big thanks, taxy, for the best feelgood video i've seen in ages!!:) so much going on here: a big YaY for physical fitness and sex appeal at any age, gay relationship recognition--a nod and smile to our growing inclusiveness as a people, a reminder of wwII internment of american-japanese in the u.s., and our need to appreciate and celebrate our shared human heritage....

i replayed this clip several times, and haven't stopped smiling yet.:):)

Last edited:
I have not been gaining or losing weight, just staying the same. Not much of an appetite. Especially meat has no appeal to me at all. For some reason it seems to make dh angry that I do not care to eat meat, I figure it's his problem, not mine, but makes for some tense meals at times.

I have not been gaining or losing weight, just staying the same. Not much of an appetite. Especially meat has no appeal to me at all. For some reason it seems to make dh angry that I do not care to eat meat, I figure it's his problem, not mine, but makes for some tense meals at times.

Staying the same can be a good thing !

As for the meat ... I wouldn't worry about that much at all.

In time you will re-acquire a taste for it .. in the meantime just be sure you are getting all the vitamins and minerals you need.

Tell DH that just means there is more for him !

Now, SB, you just concentrate on healing! Losing weight will come. Tell DH to take a hike. Eat what makes you feel good, if he wants to make you some comfort food like mac and cheese, let him do it. {{{hugs}}}

I think this is probably his way of expressing his worry about you and your recovery. He wants you to be back to normal, just as you do. It will take time for both of you to adjust. Take care.

I have not been gaining or losing weight, just staying the same. Not much of an appetite. Especially meat has no appeal to me at all. For some reason it seems to make DH angry that I do not care to eat meat, I figure it's his problem, not mine, but makes for some tense meals at times.

You need that protein to speed the healing process. Try just one bite at each meal. In the meantime don't worry about the weight. That problem will take care of itself in time. Your appetite will return when it is ready to. Don't try to rush it. For one thing, you are not as active as you were when you were working. So you don't work up an appetite. Also your system got used to small amounts of food before the surgery. It hasn't gotten the message yet that right now you should be eating more. Keep in mind that pain medication will kill your appetite along with making you sleepy just when you don't want to sleep. It will also constipate you. And if you are full of waste, then of course you are not going to have an appetite.

Be patient with yourself. We are all pulling and praying for you. :angel:

I think this is probably his way of expressing his worry about you and your recovery. He wants you to be back to normal, just as you do. It will take time for both of you to adjust. Take care.

yes, sb, what gg said. oftentimes, men are not very good at expressing their loving concern in a loving way....

yes, sb, what gg said. oftentimes, men are not very good at expressing their loving concern in a loving way....

His whole world has been turned upside down. He not only hasn't got his working partner at his side, the woman he has known as his wife has changed also. Men do not like change. He wants you back the way you were. It will happen in time. :angel:

Thank you all very much for your kind words & support, I really do appreciate it from all of you. I have never been known as a real patient person. It feels that I have been going through the ultimate test during this time of my life. Even though I know this shall pass it does not seem fast enough for me. Been trying to do a little more walking outside daily. Sometimes it's hard to figure out if the pain is from the surgery or just a bad gut ache? I eat the blandest food that that I can come up with, in small amounts. Taking stool softners to keep things moving through, just want to get things back to normal. Thanks again to all for your support. I really do appreciate it!

Thank you all very much for your kind words & support, I really do appreciate it from all of you. I have never been known as a real patient person. It feels that I have been going through the ultimate test during this time of my life. Even though I know this shall pass it does not seem fast enough for me. Been trying to do a little more walking outside daily. Sometimes it's hard to figure out if the pain is from the surgery or just a bad gut ache? I eat the blandest food that that I can come up with, in small amounts. Taking stool softners to keep things moving through, just want to get things back to normal. Thanks again to all for your support. I really do appreciate it!

I had a doctor who went fishing so he wouldn't even be in town for at least 48 hours after my surgery. He didn't want the harassing phone calls to let me go home before I was ready. I'm a horrible patient.:rolleyes:

I had a doctor who went fishing so he wouldn't even be in town for at least 48 hours after my surgery. He didn't want the harassing phone calls to let me go home before I was ready. I'm a horrible patient.:rolleyes:

The first question I ask before they can even tell me what is wrong, "when can I go home?" :angel:

Did they tell you about the BRAT diet? Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast are recommended for allowing the gut to rest after surgery. Nothing with high fiber. Take care :)

Did they tell you about the BRAT diet? Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast are recommended for allowing the gut to rest after surgery. Nothing with high fiber. Take care :)
A friend of mine used to use the BRAT diet a lot. She seemed to have a "delicate stomach" and it was her doctor's recommendation.

Do you know if you are allowed brown rice and whole grain toast with the BRAT diet? My friend was told that the A was for apple, not necessarily apple sauce. Though I can imagine that apple peel isn't so good for this diet.

A friend of mine used to use the BRAT diet a lot. She seemed to have a "delicate stomach" and it was her doctor's recommendation.

Do you know if you are allowed brown rice and whole grain toast with the BRAT diet? My friend was told that the A was for apple, not necessarily apple sauce. Though I can imagine that apple peel isn't so good for this diet.

BRAT is supposed to be a low residue diet, the brown rice and whole grain are not good for the BRAT diet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom