Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks FM. ;)

It's a little tougher for the DW, and I try to accomodate that as much as possible.

Yes, we both quit smoking. For me it was Nov. 07, for the DW it was late Dec. I smoked a pack a day since I was 15 or 16 years old. I am totaly over the cigs. 110%! Yes, the bad knees are from the bikes. I have to wear high tech knee braces whenever I ride, or jog, or do any kind of activity where there's lateral movement on my legs.

The hard part for me is that I love to cook and try different flavors. Trying to balance the joy of cooking/experience and counting calories is frickin tough! I'm pretty much happy physically with myself now (all things considered) but I could easily slip off track because of my tastes for foods.:angel:
You know, it is harder for women. I think it's the "survival of the race" thing that kicks in. Nature wants us to have lots of fat reserves so we can reproduce and breastfeed - whether we want to or not! You get a big pat on the back for being accommodating and understanding. I'll bet she's a very happy wife.

Would you mind sharing how you and DW managed to quit smoking? I have to quit. I smoke about half a pack a day but the thought of quitting gives me cold sweats.

It's probably a blessing I've never been a good cook so the few things I can make really well now aren't too bad to cut out. And the diet seems like a cinch compared to the exercise regime. But if you can do it with bad knees, I can do it with a big butt!:)

We've managed to lose a couple of pounds by going to the pool every day since Monday. Woohoo! I'm glad the love handles are diminishing slowly. Better yet, the kids are having so much fun playing in the water everyday. The tanning contest is on with them! LOL

Would you mind sharing how you and DW managed to quit smoking? I have to quit. I smoke about half a pack a day but the thought of quitting gives me cold sweats.

My attempt at cold turkey was a complete disaster.:wacko: So, I decided to try the Nicoderm patch. My first go with the patch I was still smoking. I smoked less, but still did not quit. So now I was loaded up with nicotine from the patch and cigs. I layed off the patch for about a month with the intent on quitting at some point. One day, I got so P.O.'d at myself for being a wimp and letting that thing control my life. I really got mad. I chucked the smokes, put on the patch, and never looked back.

You really have to WANT to quit. Which I did. And DO NOT promise anyone else that you are quitting, it only makes it harder. Promise yourself, then when you fail, you really feel stupid.

Since you smoke a 1/2 pack, you would start off with Step 2.

If you want some real trippy dreams, leave the patch on overnight. It's kinda fun sometimes. :angel:

We've managed to lose a couple of pounds by going to the pool every day since Monday. Woohoo! I'm glad the love handles are diminishing slowly. Better yet, the kids are having so much fun playing in the water everyday. The tanning contest is on with them! LOL

Swimming is excellent excersize.

Last edited:
Jeekinz is right Fisher's Mom. You really have to want to quit. I smoked about a pack a day for 20 years. My kids kept nagging me about quitting for years but I couldn't until one day when we went out for lunch at Ryan's (this was about 10 years ago when you could still smoke in restaurants). We requested the smoking section which was a room all by itself. The room was empty and apparently the ventilation system wasn't working. The smell of stale cigarette smoke was overwhelming and really disgusted me. That was what made me want to quit. I couldn't bear the thought of people coming into my home and it smelling like that. I haven't picked up a cigarette since.

The key is that YOU really have to want to quit. No one can make you want to quit. You can use all the patches in the world or even try hypnosis but unless you really want to quit, you won't be able to.

Good Luck with it!

Just wanted to add...

Don't worry about gaining weight after quitting. You can deal with that later. It's been since November 07 and I still feel the affects from smoking. It's a long healing process.

I would get, and sometimes still do, urges. Not really urges for a cigarette, just simply some sort of palate satisfaction. I found that spicy food works best. It gave me that burning sensation cigarettes would.

Even now I'll need to have something spicy. And I hated spicy food when I smoked. I also lost the taste for coffee. I drink Vitamin Water like theres no tomorrow.

Like I said before, to loose those few pounds we gained from quitting, we aer eating healthier and less. We actually split a steak between the two of us. We eat alot of grilled chicken breasts but use different marinades for that flavor punch. BTW - most marinades have super low calories.

Last edited:
Jeekinz is right Fisher's Mom. You really have to want to quit. I smoked about a pack a day for 20 years. My kids kept nagging me about quitting for years but I couldn't until one day when we went out for lunch at Ryan's (this was about 10 years ago when you could still smoke in restaurants). We requested the smoking section which was a room all by itself. The room was empty and apparently the ventilation system wasn't working. The smell of stale cigarette smoke was overwhelming and really disgusted me. That was what made me want to quit. I couldn't bear the thought of people coming into my home and it smelling like that. I haven't picked up a cigarette since.

The key is that YOU really have to want to quit. No one can make you want to quit. You can use all the patches in the world or even try hypnosis but unless you really want to quit, you won't be able to.

Good Luck with it!
Thanks Mama. I used to smoke a lot but I quit about 11 years ago and was quit for 5 years. That's when I became aware of the smell, too. It's gross. The whole time I was quit, I dreamed of cigarettes. Really. I would wake up dreaming I was smoking and then it was h**l the rest of the day. I don't know what possessed me to start again except I met my good Russian friend and man, Russians know how to smoke. It's like a sacrament for them. Watching him was just too much and I fell from grace. I only smoke outside because of the smell and also to keep me from smoking so much. It's so hot down here that it keeps me from going outside for one as much as I might otherwise. That's why I can stick to 1/2 a pack per day. But now I need to cut it out completely. And I'm sure you are exactly right - I have to really want to quit. I'm working on that. Thanks for the pep talk - I need it.

Just wanted to add...

Don't worry about gaining weight after quitting. You can deal with that later. It's been since November 07 and I still feel the affects from smoking. It's a long healing process.

I would get, and sometimes still do, urges. Not really urges for a cigarette, just simply some sort of palate satisfaction. I found that spicy food works best. It gave me that burning sensation cigarettes would.

Even now I'll need to have something spicy. And I hated spicy food when I smoked. I also lost the taste for coffee. I drink Vitamin Water like theres no tomorrow.

Like I said before, to loose those few pounds we gained from quitting, we aer eating healthier and less. We actually split a steak between the two of us. We eat alot of grilled chicken breasts but use different marinades for that flavor punch. BTW - most marinades have super low calories.
LOL! You know women, Jeekinz! I would be really nervous about quitting except that I'm on this freakin' cardio-protective diet. I don't think anybody could gain weight on this diet. I'm not even calorie restricted and I've lost 3 pounds in a week.

I will have to give up coffee to quit smoking. It's a trigger for me. If I have a cup of coffee, I crave a cig with it. Also, talking on the phone. When I quit before, I had to quit having chats on the phone because smoking was always a part of it.

Thanks for helping with your suggestions. I feel stupid because this is a self-inflicted, nasty habit that I should be able to just drop because it's so gross. Thanks for knowing what it's like - you're a good friend.

Hey, I quit smoking 9 years ago (tomorrow matter of fact!) and mostly the smell makes me want to gag, so there's hope, but honestly sometimes I STILL want to go buy some, it's very difficult not to some days.
I can't attest to the gaining weight after quitting so well, because I got pregnant. So, I gained 30 lbs, but I can't blame it on smoking!!! :)
Almost back to before 1st baby weight!!!!! I'm so excited. It's one thing to be back to before the last baby.... but the 1st after 3...... YAY!!!! I've looked at pics of me right before I got pregnant, when like any idiot 24 year old I THOUGHT I was fat.....
I WAS A TWIG AND I"M ALMOST A TWIG AGAIN!!!
The weight is just..... ummmmm... resettled to areas not yet identified to most 24 year old women with no children. :)

lost another pound this week. that makes seven pounds. only portion control is what i am doing. so i don't feel deprived at all.

also eating when hungry , even off the three meal a day thing. so far it is working. course choice of food should be reasonable.

babe:pig::pig:

Hey, I quit smoking 9 years ago (tomorrow matter of fact!) and mostly the smell makes me want to gag, so there's hope, but honestly sometimes I STILL want to go buy some, it's very difficult not to some days.
I can't attest to the gaining weight after quitting so well, because I got pregnant. So, I gained 30 lbs, but I can't blame it on smoking!!! :)
Almost back to before 1st baby weight!!!!! I'm so excited. It's one thing to be back to before the last baby.... but the 1st after 3...... YAY!!!! I've looked at pics of me right before I got pregnant, when like any idiot 24 year old I THOUGHT I was fat.....
I WAS A TWIG AND I"M ALMOST A TWIG AGAIN!!!
The weight is just..... ummmmm... resettled to areas not yet identified to most 24 year old women with no children. :)
Now I am seriously impressed, Suzie!!! And hey, the resettling isn't that big a deal in dim lighting!

Almost there with ya Red, almost. :)
Thanks FM. I'll just lose all my lighbulbs.....

Good job suzi- I went back up 3 lbs, oh well DD came home with her summer varsity soccer work out and I (stupid me) said I'd do it with her before I saw it. The first day she's suppose to run 2 miles starting on a monday and by sunday run 5 miles, I don't know if I'll ever be able to do 5 miles, but i'm going to do as much as I can to keep her motivatedas she hates running.

The weather has finally warmed!!
We were outside from 930 this morning til baseball was done at 815 tonight, except for coming in to make dinner and put a kid down for a nap.
I moved all day and didn't even think about food.... ok except for the food I'm attempting to grow out there..... but that's all good for me food!
Now I probably shouldn't have congratulated myself for all that being good with a root beer float.... but hey, tomorrow will be even warmer!

I'm usually 165-167. Everytime I try to loose a few pounds, I do just that and can only go as low as 160. Which is still a little much for my frame.

FINALLY! All the grilled chicken and salads paid off! 158 this morning!

I can has cheeseburger now! (nom, nom, nom)

I'm fitting into my size 6's again!!!!!!!

I haven't been a size 6 since I was in Jr. High School. At 6ft, a size six would look silly though. I'll be happy with a 16...I'm down 6lbs in 3 weeks. Although, I only maintained this week, so I could have been at 8 or 10lbs... guess that's what i get for not exercising. Only have 74 to go.....

down eight pounds since i started really watching the size of portions. not the hardship of leaving out any food group. my body has adjusted to the smaller amount of food and it fills me up.

give it a try, it works

babe:ohmy::ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom