"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #721
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yea! Barbara!

Old 06-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #722
Senior Cook

Powerplantop, amazing transformation! What an incredible effort you must have put into your weight loss. My husband is on a similar path. He is 6' and 240 lbs. right now and wants to get down below 200.

Kudos to everyone whose been losing. It sure takes a lot of patience.

I'm just 6 pounds away from my goal now. So close!!!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #723
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebLynn View Post
Powerplantop, amazing transformation! What an incredible effort you must have put into your weight loss. My husband is on a similar path. He is 6' and 240 lbs. right now and wants to get down below 200.
Thank you. I do think about what I eat so there is some effort everyday. But over all it is more about a life style change more than a diet. I sleep better and enjoy life a lot more now.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #724
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
Thank you. I do think about what I eat so there is some effort everyday. But over all it is more about a life style change more than a diet. I sleep better and enjoy life a lot more now.
That's great!
Old 06-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #725
Sous Chef

Had a nice salad for lunch- I've been trying to convince myself I like vinegarettes instead of ranch dressing, and I was somewhat successful today. I made my own zesty Italian and used about 1/4 of the oil called for, red wine vinegar instead of plain white, and I used extra vinegar to make up for the lack of oil. The recipe says to use extra water instead of the oil, but I really like the extra kick. At first I was adding an extra splash of red wine vinegar to the salad, but it's too easy to over-do it that way lol. I ended up with vinegar and lettuce soup one time. Why does the dressing even need oil? I certainly can't taste it. Do you think it would be ok if I didn't add the oil? The vinegar and seasoning are where all the flavor is at, isn't it?
Old 06-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #726
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Had a nice salad for lunch- I've been trying to convince myself I like vinegarettes instead of ranch dressing, and I was somewhat successful today. I made my own zesty Italian and used about 1/4 of the oil called for, red wine vinegar instead of plain white, and I used extra vinegar to make up for the lack of oil. The recipe says to use extra water instead of the oil, but I really like the extra kick. At first I was adding an extra splash of red wine vinegar to the salad, but it's too easy to over-do it that way lol. I ended up with vinegar and lettuce soup one time. Why does the dressing even need oil? I certainly can't taste it. Do you think it would be ok if I didn't add the oil? The vinegar and seasoning are where all the flavor is at, isn't it?
Have you ever considered using rice vinegar? It is not as strong and has a nice flavor. Adding your own seasonings just enhances it.

You don't have to use oil if you don't want to. Some people just put lemon juice on their salads.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #727
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie

Have you ever considered using rice vinegar? It is not as strong and has a nice flavor. Adding your own seasonings just enhances it.

You don't have to use oil if you don't want to. Some people just put lemon juice on their salads.
I haven't tried rice vinegar, but I like the red wine vinegar because of the strong flavor. I certainly wouldn't be against trying it- love trying new things, and it's good to switch things up so you don't get bored.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #728
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

DH really likes plain balsamic vinegar on his salads. No oil.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #729
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver
DH really likes plain balsamic vinegar on his salads. No oil.
I have a balsamic glacÚ that I use. Again, I like it because it's concentrated and has stronger flavor lol. I bet THAT might be good mixed with a little oil and seasoning... Hmmmm It's also great for cooking. I use it with this bourbon brown sugar marinade. It calls for cider vinegar but I like my balsamic glacÚ in it
Old 06-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #730
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

In a well mixed/shaken vinaigrette, the oil helps the vinegar and spices stick to the salad and not just pool in the bottom of the bowl. That is it's main function.