"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 10-08-2012, 04:57 AM   #801
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Got my results, had more test done and I'm Pre- Diabetic whatever that may be. Apparently very high risk for developing diabetes. The Doc put me on Metformin and I must eat a diabetic friendly diet.

At least I don't have to inject myself, thank Goodness for that!!!!

Thank you Addie for the advise and everyone else that gave support and advise.
Metformin is the best medication you could be on. During the field trials, they had great success. I am so glad you followed through. Your family needs you.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:02 AM   #802
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Metformin is the best medication you could be on. During the field trials, they had great success. I am so glad you followed through. Your family needs you.
Thanks Addie, I'm not going anywhere! Only the good die young lol!
I think it will work out just fine. I look after myself as best I can and won't do anything to harm my health on purpose.
Might need some diabetic recipes but luckily there are many on DC :)

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 AM   #803
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks Addie, I'm not going anywhere! Only the good die young lol!
I think it will work out just fine. I look after myself as best I can and won't do anything to harm my health on purpose.
Might need some diabetic recipes but luckily there are many on DC :)
A low carb diet with plenty of protein. Fresh veggies. Lots of salads. Be careful of fresh fruit. Most of them are loaded with natural sugar. Eat them in moderation. Grains for breakfast. Cooked is better than dry. If your doctor doesn't have you come in for blood work in six months, then make an appointment for a checkup.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #804
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
A low carb diet with plenty of protein. Fresh veggies. Lots of salads. Be careful of fresh fruit. Most of them are loaded with natural sugar. Eat them in moderation. Grains for breakfast. Cooked is better than dry. If your doctor doesn't have you come in for blood work in six months, then make an appointment for a checkup.
Going back in 3 months. He told me to make the appointment so long.

I eat mainly sweet potatoes, brown rice, rye bread, oats, weetabix, branflakes, rice noodles, barley, lentils, beans and homemade muesli (sugar free, I add stevia) when I eat carbs. I do eat macaroni once a month when I make mac 'n cheese though, don't like wholegrain pasta :(

As far as fruit goes I only really eat lemons, papaya and Grapefruit. Not very often since fruit is expensive and I tend to save it for the kids. I love fruits but I prefer veggies. Don't have a big sweet tooth.

Protein wise I eat mainly lean beef, pork and fish (plus all the pulses I eat) and I love egg.
I must do some research to find out what to avoid. I don't like processed food so that's a start. They usually contain loads of hidden sugars.
Gosh I hope I know what I'm doing lol!

Old 10-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #805
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Going back in 3 months. He told me to make the appointment so long.

I eat mainly sweet potatoes, brown rice, rye bread, oats, weetabix, branflakes, rice noodles, barley, lentils, beans and homemade muesli (sugar free, I add stevia) when I eat carbs. I do eat macaroni once a month when I make mac 'n cheese though, don't like wholegrain pasta :(

As far as fruit goes I only really eat lemons, papaya and Grapefruit. Not very often since fruit is expensive and I tend to save it for the kids. I love fruits but I prefer veggies. Don't have a big sweet tooth.

Protein wise I eat mainly lean beef, pork and fish (plus all the pulses I eat) and I love egg.
I must do some research to find out what to avoid. I don't like processed food so that's a start. They usually contain loads of hidden sugars.
Gosh I hope I know what I'm doing lol!
I'm thinking it's the sweet potatoes and the dry cereals that are doing it for you. The rest of your diet sounds good.

Just holler if you need help! Did they set you up with a glucometer for daily checks? If not I would ask them for one.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #806
Assistant Cook

I've come to realise that what works for someone, may not work for others. I have tried the no carbs, no dairy...tried everything. What works for me is just cutting down on quantity - depending on how much exercise I am doing. Obviously eating sensibly and not binging on sweets and chocolate - which I love - also helps. It's an ongoing thing trying to keep weight down!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #807
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm thinking it's the sweet potatoes and the dry cereals that are doing it for you. The rest of your diet sounds good.

Just holler if you need help! Did they set you up with a glucometer for daily checks? If not I would ask them for one.
Believe it or not Wheetabix has added sugar.

Actual fruit is much better for you than fruit juice (even unsweetened). I'm not sure if that counts with lemon.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #808
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Believe it or not Wheetabix has added sugar.

Actual fruit is much better for you than fruit juice (even unsweetened). I'm not sure if that counts with lemon.

I was counting Wheetabix as a dry cereal. Any cereal that is processed so you can pour milk on it to eat. They always have added sugar and those that don't often are high in carbs, low in nutrition for what you are eating. Better breakfast choices include protein with wholegrain toast.

I am also leaning towards veggies for breakfast via frittatas.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #809
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I was counting Wheetabix as a dry cereal. Any cereal that is processed so you can pour milk on it to eat. They always have added sugar and those that don't often are high in carbs, low in nutrition for what you are eating. Better breakfast choices include protein with wholegrain toast.

I am also leaning towards veggies for breakfast via frittatas.
Our Wheetabix or shall I say Weetbix as it's called here comes in a sugar and salt free variety. The bran flakes I buy are also sugar free and I don't eat them with sugar, just low fat milk.

I eat my fruit and drink only freshly squeezed orange juice when I go out sometimes.
I eat oats often and rye bread with poached eggs. The rye bread comes from a health shop and it's low GI and sugar free.
I think lemons might be my problem since they still contain lots of natural sugar and I add the juice to my water.
The sweet potatoes I always thought were fine since I bake mine and don't add sugar.
Darn it I'm confused, thanks for the advise!

Old 10-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #810
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Our Wheetabix or shall I say Weetbix as it's called here comes in a sugar and salt free variety. The bran flakes I buy are also sugar free and I don't eat them with sugar, just low fat milk.

I eat my fruit and drink only freshly squeezed orange juice when I go out sometimes.
I eat oats often and rye bread with poached eggs. The rye bread comes from a health shop and it's low GI and sugar free.
I think lemons might be my problem since they still contain lots of natural sugar and I add the juice to my water.
The sweet potatoes I always thought were fine since I bake mine and don't add sugar.
Darn it I'm confused, thanks for the advise!
Sweet potatoes have a starch component AND a sugar component. You need to start looking at grams of carbs per serving.