"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 10-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #821
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I'll try it thanks :) I love cider vinegar so it should taste fine. I was out today so I just added a pinch of citric acid. The water tastes really bad here even when boiled.
Have you thought of getting a Britta filter or similar?

Old 10-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #822
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
LOL! Taxlady gave you the link to what I would use for finding serving sizes and nutritional information, I have it installed on my computer.. You are looking for foods that are low in carbs. The typical Low-Carb diet suggests between 20-60 grams of carbs per day. If you are busy chasing kids all day, I would only go between 50-60 grams per day, your body needs the carbs.

Leafy green, red, yellow veggies are the best. If something tastes sweet, check the carbs. I hope this helps.
Thanks PF, still can't understand why I have a problem. I eat healthier that most and I've been doing so my whole life. Sure I eat the odd bad meal but don't we all?
I eat low fat foods most of the time too and yet I end up with high cholesterol and heart disease.
My biggest weakness is salt and my blood preasure is fine, go figure lol!

I think a big part of the problem may be that I've started skipping meals more often. I have no appetite lately. I eat breakfast when I'm up to it and only at about 10 pm, skip lunch most days and eat the same amount of food at night as my 5 yr old.
I snack on celery and frozen iced tea to beat the heat. I'm never hungry in summer.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #823
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Have you thought of getting a Britta filter or similar?
I've been looking for water filters on sale since we moved here but money is really tight. There always seems to be something more important that comes up like clothes for my kids, medication etc.
Our fuel prices went up 3 times in the past month because of transport strikes. Supermarkets have increased their prices so much that my groceries cost 1/3 more this month than last and I bought the same goods.
This country is going nowhere slowly. Wish we could just go back to Botswana.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #824
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I've been looking for water filters on sale since we moved here but money is really tight. There always seems to be something more important that comes up like clothes for my kids, medication etc.
Our fuel prices went up 3 times in the past month because of transport strikes. Supermarkets have increased their prices so much that my groceries cost 1/3 more this month than last and I bought the same goods.
This country is going nowhere slowly. Wish we could just go back to Botswana.
I hear ya. Have you looked in 2nd hand stores? I usually find several perfectly good ones. The real cost is the actual filters that only last 2 months each. But, I think it's worth it.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #825
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I hear ya. Have you looked in 2nd hand stores? I usually find several perfectly good ones. The real cost is the actual filters that only last 2 months each. But, I think it's worth it.
I have looked but I haven't found any yet. If I don't find one I'll just go and buy a filter jug. I saw one for R100 About $12. Not too bad but still too much right now but I can buy it in November. My daughter is going on her first school tour so I had to pay for that, couldn't say no she was so excited.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #826
Chef Extraordinaire

Snip--I add all kinds of vinegar to water or Seltzer--red or white wine vinegar in the evening, balsamic vinegar, cider vinegar, coconut vinegar. I find it very refreshing when it is hot out. During our unbelievably hot summer here, I drank many glasses of water or Seltzer with apple cider vinegar added every day. I brought a bottle of Seltzer with cider vinegar added every time I had to drive somewhere.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #827
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Thanks Addie, orange juice gives me heartburn anyway. Won't lose sleep over it.
Most days I just drink my cup of coffee in the morning. Water with a bit of lemon, iced rooibos tea flavoured with fresh mint or lemon verbena (no sugar added) make it myself, green tea, oolong tea, jasmine tea and sometimes a cup of tea at night with lemon. I could use citric acid instead of lemon in my tea I suppose.
Use the lemon, the few calories that it adds completely overtake for freshness what using just citric acid would give. The plan is real, fresh foods, not replacing it with chemicals. And you would lose that lemon zip.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #828
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Thanks PF, still can't understand why I have a problem. I eat healthier that most and I've been doing so my whole life. Sure I eat the odd bad meal but don't we all?
I eat low fat foods most of the time too and yet I end up with high cholesterol and heart disease.
My biggest weakness is salt and my blood preasure is fine, go figure lol!

I think a big part of the problem may be that I've started skipping meals more often. I have no appetite lately. I eat breakfast when I'm up to it and only at about 10 pm, skip lunch most days and eat the same amount of food at night as my 5 yr old.
I snack on celery and frozen iced tea to beat the heat. I'm never hungry in summer.
I don't know, either! I spent many years as a pre/borderline diabetic. Then one heart attack and I went over that hill and became a diabetic. I can't eat any better than I have for the last 15 years. I make a joke about only being able to eat cardboard, but I'm not far off from that considering my diabetes and heart disease, to top it off the difficulty I have with eating because of bone loss in my jaws.

Stay enthusiastic about trying different foods. Check out the app from the USDA, it is a great online resource. Ask questions, you know we are all "know-it-alls" and are happier than heck helping you out. Diabetes is not the end of the world, it's the start of a new you. Lot's o hugs!
Old 10-09-2012, 01:22 AM   #829
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I don't know, either! I spent many years as a pre/borderline diabetic. Then one heart attack and I went over that hill and became a diabetic. I can't eat any better than I have for the last 15 years. I make a joke about only being able to eat cardboard, but I'm not far off from that considering my diabetes and heart disease, to top it off the difficulty I have with eating because of bone loss in my jaws.

Stay enthusiastic about trying different foods. Check out the app from the USDA, it is a great online resource. Ask questions, you know we are all "know-it-alls" and are happier than heck helping you out. Diabetes is not the end of the world, it's the start of a new you. Lot's o hugs!
Thanks PF, you're input means a lot and it helps to know I'm not alone.
Think I'll stick to my dash of real fresh lemon in my water. Lemon is not bad in moderation. I hardly have any sugar anyway, not even much in natural form. I had my heart attack when I was in my 20's and my health has just gotten worse since then. I'm 2 cm's shorter because of losing bone mass, my teeth are translucent and I get pains in my legs at night. Sometimes they get really swollen.
I can't think that depriving my body of the good nutrients that fresh foods provide will do any good.
I just hate feeling like an old lady. I love being active and running after the kids but my body and mind seem to belong to 2 different people lol!
Even posting on DC has started feeling a bit fake. I mostly add the recipes and foods I prepare for my family since what I eat won't even excite a rabbit Cooking is not as much fun since I can't eat most of the things I love to make anymore.
Maybe I killed a puppy in my past life and this is payback

Old 10-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #830
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Snip--I add all kinds of vinegar to water or Seltzer--red or white wine vinegar in the evening, balsamic vinegar, cider vinegar, coconut vinegar. I find it very refreshing when it is hot out. During our unbelievably hot summer here, I drank many glasses of water or Seltzer with apple cider vinegar added every day. I brought a bottle of Seltzer with cider vinegar added every time I had to drive somewhere.
Thanks CW, I tried adding just a dash to my water last night. White wine vinegar since I was out of Cider vinegar. I'll try the Cider vinegar but the wine vinegar made sick as a dog. Haven't slept much, spent half the night chucking up what felt like battery acid
I only had 2 glasses with about a tsp of vinegar so I think it might not agree with me.