Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, it's kinda funny. I seldom get a craving for vegis. But, if I haven't been eating my vegis, as soon as there are some on the plate I automatically start eating them first and eat more of them than when I have been eating my vegis.

I get cravings for veggies. Once we were in Las Vegas and had eaten so much rich food I was craving a salad. Just couldn't face another heavy meal.

Congratulations PF on the nice weight loss you have going on. And also to any others who are dieting successfully.

The link above lists some foods with Vitamin D:

• some kinds of mushrooms
  • fatty fish
  • beef liver
  • eggs
One of the best sources is milk which also contains calcium. Humans need calcium for bone development and strength and for the body to absorb and use calcium it needs vitamin D. Which is one of the reasons you shouldn't give babies and small children fat-free mlk.

Sunlight as a source is fine but not all countries have enough sunlight to provide sufficient vit D without a supplementary source. When people from India and Pakistan first came to Britain and bringing their wives and children in any number in the 1960s and '70s there was a rise in cases of rickets in their babies. Rickets, a condition caused by calcium and vit D deficiency, had been more or less wiped out in the indigenous population and it took the medical community quite a while to get to the bottom of the problem until it was pointed out that Asian babies spent a lot of their time in the sun with few clothes on whereas in Britain they had to be well wrapped up and didn't get a lot of sun on their bodies. The problem was solved by vit D supplements. There has been another growth in rickets in children again in recent years caused by over use of sunscreen.

When I was little in the early 1950s babies and children under school age were issued with free cod liver oil (a good source of vit D) and free orange juice and older children had free milk at primary school. I hated the milk but absolutely loved the cod liver oil. (I was a bit weird even then)

Last edited:
I didn't mention milk as a source of vitamin D, because, as the UK Dairy Council puts it, "There is very little vitamin D in milk and in fact only trace amounts and in the UK milk is not fortified with vitamin D."

This is an international forum, so I like to give info that is relevant to all of us or specify where it is applicable.

Vitamins in milk

It's amazing how fast the weight is coming off with just a change of medication and I can move again. Thanks SB!!
I swear there is no better feeling in the world than better flexibility after being limited for a time. I know as I speak from experience!:)

I didn't mention milk as a source of vitamin D, because, as the UK Dairy Council puts it, "There is very little vitamin D in milk and in fact only trace amounts and in the UK milk is not fortified with vitamin D."

This is an international forum, so I like to give info that is relevant to all of us or specify where it is applicable.

Vitamins in milk
I assume you are quoting the (British) Dairy Council's information which is only partly correct. The DC says milk is very low in Vit D and it is per se. However, they are referring to milk alone, ie skimmed/fat free milk, in order to comply with product description legislation. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin and is present in the fat in milk ie the cream. If the cream is removed, as with skimmed milk, the vitamin D is largely removed which is why I referred to the Govenment's advice that skimmed milk should not be fed to very young children. The NHS and the Department of Health make this quite clear and describe whole/full fat milk as a good source of vitamin D as well as other vitamins.

I assume you are quoting the (British) Dairy Council's information which is only partly correct. The DC says milk is very low in Vit D and it is per se. However, they are referring to milk alone, ie skimmed/fat free milk, in order to comply with product description legislation. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin and is present in the fat in milk ie the cream. If the cream is removed, as with skimmed milk, the vitamin D is largely removed which is why I referred to the Govenment's advice that skimmed milk should not be fed to very young children. The NHS and the Department of Health make this quite clear and describe whole/full fat milk as a good source of vitamin D as well as other vitamins.
Yes, I was quoting the (British) Dairy Council. I wrote that's how they put it and I put it in quotes.

We were discussing milk, not dairy products in general. And, North American milk is a pretty good source of vitamin D, because it has been fortified with vitamin D. They do that because, as you mentioned, it works well with calcium and there is a fair bit of calcium in milk.

My skim milk says "25% Vit D" and also says that it contains Vit D3. For a while, my Grandson had to be switched to fat free milk because whole milk was causing constipation. The doctor told them to switch. But now sometimes he gets 2% and sometimes skim depending on where he is.

Milk is said to be very good for weight loss, and of course, they are talking about skim milk.

I just read a study about Vit D3 being effective for reducing ear infections in children. Supplementation is good for kids, too!

I just read a study about Vit D3 being effective for reducing ear infections in children. Supplementation is good for kids, too!

I've read also that rickets is making a reappearance in children because they often drink more soda than milk and using sunscreen prevents their bodies from absorbing vitamin D from the sun.

I've read also that rickets is making a reappearance in children because they often drink more soda than milk and using sunscreen prevents their bodies from absorbing vitamin D from the sun.

Remember running loose in the summer...Mom had to take the grill brush to you the day before school started. Our hair bleached out by the sun and we had tans that were gorgeous!

Now kids aren't allowed in the sun:(

My skim milk says "25% Vit D" and also says that it contains Vit D3. For a while, my Grandson had to be switched to fat free milk because whole milk was causing constipation. The doctor told them to switch. But now sometimes he gets 2% and sometimes skim depending on where he is.

Milk is said to be very good for weight loss, and of course, they are talking about skim milk.
That skim milk has that much Vitamin D because it was fortified, which I think is a good thing.

I just read that thinking skim milk is better for weight loss is just what seems obvious.It isn't based on research. One study of children showed that the ones who drank skim milk were chubbier than the ones who drank whole milk. They think that this is because the full fat milk is probably more filling. Of course, the chubbier kids may be drinking the skim milk because their parents are trying to help them lose weight, so there could be a bias here. More research needs to be done on this.

Back in the 90's this country went on a "cut out the cholesterol" madness. Even for young children. So mothers were giving their children as young as one year old skim milk. They were putting their very young children of fat free diets. Wisely, pediatricians were telling these mothers that unless they were registered dieticians to stop messing with their young charges and start feeding them properly. They were seeing a lot of health problems in the children even before they started school. This madness didn't last too long. :angel:

The pediatrician originally told my DIL that my gs needed whole milk. When he starting having constipation she told her to switch him to skim milk. Now that the issue has been resolved he gets 2% at home and skim at our house. He eats full fat cheese and full fat yogurt. If I was going to worry about his diet, it would be the junk food...donuts etc that they give him. They say it's not a lot, but to me, it seems like a lot. Not my child, not my business, I guess.

He is neither overweight or underweight. He eats healthy food at meals but junk food in between.

The pediatrician originally told my DIL that my gs needed whole milk. When he starting having constipation she told her to switch him to skim milk. Now that the issue has been resolved he gets 2% at home and skim at our house. He eats full fat cheese and full fat yogurt. If I was going to worry about his diet, it would be the junk food...donuts etc that they give him. They say it's not a lot, but to me, it seems like a lot. Not my child, not my business, I guess.

He is neither overweight or underweight. He eats healthy food at meals but junk food in between.

Unfortunately constipation in children is the result of 'too much of a good thing.' Too much milk. I had the same problem with all of my kids. And I have to agree with you. "Not my child, not my business'. Only once have I ever interfered with anything my kids do with raising their children.

My SIL was battling Non Hodgkin's Cancer. Money was scarce and my G'daughter was crying because she didn't get all the electronic toys her friends got for Christmas. She was making the Christmas Dinner for everyone miserable. I finally jumped in and went after her with a vengeance. Her parents never said a word. I said all the things to her that they were unable to get the courage to say. And I understood that. They were trying to protect her from knowing how seriously ill her father was. When you go from a $3K paycheck a week to surviving on disability pay, and the bills still keep coming in, it is a shock to everyone. And to be fighting an imminent possible death also did not make for a happy holiday for anyone. She was 14 at the time and she needed to grow up fast. But once again we are in the same battle with her mother. She is just a little better with this crisis. She doesn't whine as much, but is not as much help as she could be. Maybe it is time for me to jump in again. She is 21 now and needs to do some more growing fast. :angel:

My parents came over for lunch Friday. It is such a rare occasion, that every time it happens I go out of m way to prepare something they will like. I made so many and so much of yummy foods, we could not stop eating. I over ate for the whole 3 weeks I've been trying to eat less. And been pigging out today too. Everything taste so good. :(

Back in the pool today for water aerobics, aqua chi & practicing what I have learned in swimming lessons. All is going well. Looking forward to going back tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom