"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 10-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #851
Chef Extraordinaire

I am still working on learning lap swimming, I just cannot seem to get the breathing thing right. It feels like I have drank a good portion of the pool lately.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #852
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker
I am still working on learning lap swimming, I just cannot seem to get the breathing thing right. It feels like I have drank a good portion of the pool lately.
SB, try using a kickboard. Hold it straight out and practice face in the water, turn your head to the side and breathe, face back in the water. Keep kicking . Or use it closer and keep your face out of the water. You can hold it behind your head while you swim on your back too.

Front crawl just takes a rhythm. You don't need to take a breath every time, if you feel comfortable, take one every three or so strokes. Important to not bury your head too far underwater, and make your strokes smooth, reach with your cupped hands, don't flail or kick so much that you make a big splash. Try to keep it underwater with minimal splash. Good luck! Do they have adult swim classes?

Old 10-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #853
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
SB, try using a kickboard. Hold it straight out and practice face in the water, turn your head to the side and breathe, face back in the water. Keep kicking . Or use it closer and keep your face out of the water. You can hold it behind your head while you swim on your back too.

Front crawl just takes a rhythm. You don't need to take a breath every time, if you feel comfortable, take one every three or so strokes. Important to not bury your head too far underwater, and make your strokes smooth, reach with your cupped hands, don't flail or kick so much that you make a big splash. Try to keep it underwater with minimal splash. Good luck! Do they have adult swim classes?
Were you a swimming instructor or life guard?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #854
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
Were you a swimming instructor or life guard?
Yup, both! For years, in Canada during our summers.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #855
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I once drank a good portion of a lake trying to learn how to water ski. I'm pretty sure skiing is supposed to happen on top of the water.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #856
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Thanks! I have tried a kickboard but I feel like a fool as I don't seem to move very fast for some reason. I tried flippers but that did not end well. I am just pretty much self taught. The lifegaurd in the pool has given me some good tips. I know what you mean about the rhythm. My problem is after I take a breath learning to EXHALE in the water, & I learned tonight about keeping my face flat, or my ear in the water when I turn my head. I tend to want to lift my head to take a breath. It's like I understand how to do it & it gets frustrating that I just can't quite get it yet. I am determined to learn it as I love the pool. I appreciate your input.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #857
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef

I once drank a good portion of a lake trying to learn how to water ski. I'm pretty sure skiing is supposed to happen on top of the water.
My first time I forgot to let go of the ski rope when I fell. "BLUB BLUB, Dad, BLUB, stop the boat! BLUB!"
Old 10-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #858
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
My first time I forgot to let go of the ski rope when I fell. "BLUB BLUB, Dad, BLUB, stop the boat! BLUB!"
lol. I'm afraid I would be drowned if I even tried that!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #859
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I bet your innards are nice and clean.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #860
Chef Extraordinaire

Very well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I bet your innards are nice and clean.