"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 10-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #861
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Check into adult swim classes, they will really help with technique, SB. The key is to make yourself as aerodynamic as possible, which means keeping kicks underwater and pointing your toes, keeping legs flexible, turning rather than lifting your head, and overall reducing drag.

If you want to lift your head, I would recommend learning the breast stroke or side stroke. Very easy and relaxing.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #862
Chef Extraordinaire

I will try it , Thanks!

Old 10-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #863
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Check into adult swim classes, they will really help with technique, SB. The key is to make yourself as aerodynamic as possible, which means keeping kicks underwater and pointing your toes, keeping legs flexible, turning rather than lifting your head, and overall reducing drag.

If you want to lift your head, I would recommend learning the breast stroke or side stroke. Very easy and relaxing.
I was going to suggest breast stroke or crawl. I find them more relaxing when I'm not in a hurry.

When I lived in Denmark, I went swimming almost every day. Danes do mostly breast stroke, but are aware of the crawl. I taught the lifeguards how to do sidestroke and showed them how to hold a person while doing breast stroke. They thought it was brilliant.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #864
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I was going to suggest breast stroke or crawl. I find them more relaxing when I'm not in a hurry.

When I lived in Denmark, I went swimming almost every day. Danes do mostly breast stroke, but are aware of the crawl. I taught the lifeguards how to do sidestroke and showed them how to hold a person while doing breast stroke. They thought it was brilliant.
when you do the breast stroke is it underwater?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #865
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Sometimes, but more often it is on the surface. It's easy to swim head out of the water or to lift your head for a breath.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #866
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
There are a couple of ways to do the breast stroke. One has your head above water (the recreational method--doing a frog-kick), the other has you doing the frog kick and "bobbing" your head every 2-3 strokes (what you see competitive swimmers do). You can also do the dolphin kick with the breast stroke. I also find the side-stroke very relaxing--switching sides for each lane change. I like to do some breast stroke, side stroke, crawl, butterfly (the stroke I did competitively--not the easiest stroke to do), backstroke, and then back to the crawl, some skulling, some dolphin kicking holding a kickboard. I can spend 40 minutes in the pool flipping which stroke I do. I'm sure there are Youtube videos on how to do each of these strokes. I love to be in the water. The most important thing is to ENJOY it.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #867
Chef Extraordinaire

Mock Sour Cream

1 c cottage cheese (I use no fat or 2%)
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 T skim milk (or skim milk powder)
1/4 tsp salt

Run everything through the FP. One tablespoon has about 10 calories and 60 mg sodium. This makes about 18 1T servings. Add some chopped fresh chives or herbs, garlic. Great on bake potatoes or perogies when you realize you don't have any sour cream in the house.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #868
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Mock Sour Cream

1 c cottage cheese (I use no fat or 2%)
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 T skim milk (or skim milk powder)
1/4 tsp salt

Run everything through the FP. One tablespoon has about 10 calories and 60 mg sodium. This makes about 18 1T servings. Add some chopped fresh chives or herbs, garlic. Great on bake potatoes or perogies when you realize you don't have any sour cream in the house.

That's a good one the have, thanks CWS!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #869
Chef Extraordinaire

After the daughter's piano recital today there was a small reception with goodies & punch. I took a peanut butter crispy bar. I have not eaten anything sweet or baked like that in the last 23 days. After 1 bite I just could not eat it. I was suprised that I did not care for it. That is a first! I got 45 minutes in on the elliptical at home in the garage, sure glad it was a beautiful day outside today.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #870
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker
After the daughter's piano recital today there was a small reception with goodies & punch. I took a peanut butter crispy bar. I have not eaten anything sweet or baked like that in the last 23 days. After 1 bite I just could not eat it. I was suprised that I did not care for it. That is a first! I got 45 minutes in on the elliptical at home in the garage, sure glad it was a beautiful day outside today.
Good for you, SB!

And 45 minutes, wow! I usually do 30. At this rate you will be where you want to be much sooner than you think!