Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went & bought a snorkel for the pool, I love it, don't have to worry about taking a breath above water. I went swimming today & swam for 1 hour & 40 mn. Feeling woen out, but really good.

Now you have to snorkel in the ocean, and see all the beautiful fish!

I would love too! We do not get to the coast very often. I love to travel but there is never enough money or time to go. :angel:

Not a lot of ocean around SD, :LOL: Can you get to the Florida Keys, SB? Some nice snorkeling, but the water isn't nearly as clear as my fave, Cozumel, or my other fave, Kauai. There are some really good, cheap rates on cruise lines right now. We took my mom on a cruise many years ago, and got her out snorkeling every port stop, she loved it!

Not a lot of ocean around SD, :LOL: Can you get to the Florida Keys, SB? Some nice snorkeling, but the water isn't nearly as clear as my fave, Cozumel, or my other fave, Kauai. There are some really good, cheap rates on cruise lines right now. We took my mom on a cruise many years ago, and got her out snorkeling every port stop, she loved it!
We were in Fl a couple years ago but didn't get much further than Daytona. If I get a cahnce to run into some extra $ I would love to go, anytime! It's always been a wish to go to some island, here's hoping I win on a lottery ticket!:angel:

All of us Italian's called it gravy, all others call it sauce.:LOL:

I consider gravy to be something made from the drippings of meat, but then I am as far from being Italian as you can get......English and German.

From what I just read online, it depends on the part of the country (US) you're in.

Last edited:
All of us Italian's called it gravy, all others call it sauce.:LOL:

I consider gravy to be something made from the drippings of meat, but then I am as far from being Italian as you can get......English and German.

From what I just read online, it depends on the part of the country (US) you're in.
Yup, it seems to be a term used mostly in the North Eastern US. I never heard Italians use that term here in Canada.

This seems like a very likely explanation:

"The term gravy is used to describe any sauce made from meat and/or its drippings. When Italians came here from the old country, remember, they didn’t speak English, so they used a term that closest meant to what they were trying to say… for them, it was gravy. Now we call it sauce (which is what it is) but either term is fine."

from Sunday Gravy | SicilianCulture.com

And that is just it. The Sunday gravy is made with the meat drippings in the gravy. Meatballs, spare ribs, braciole, All those meats add their drippings to the gravy.

You pour gravy over food. And that is what you do with Sunday gravy. You put a small amount over the pasta that is in a big bowl. Then put the rest in a pitcher to be poured over each individual plate of pasta. :angel:

And that is just it. The Sunday gravy is made with the meat drippings in the gravy. Meatballs, spare ribs, braciole, All those meats add their drippings to the gravy.

You pour gravy over food. And that is what you do with Sunday gravy. You put a small amount over the pasta that is in a big bowl. Then put the rest in a pitcher to be poured over each individual plate of pasta. :angel:

Traditional gravy is a béchamel sauce that begins with the meat drippings as the fat. Sunday "gravy" is made from tomato sauce flavored with the meat drippings. So it's a sauce, not a gravy.

Last edited:
I weighed myself for the first time since my original gallbladder surgery almost two weeks ago and then the liver problems. I have lost 9 lbs. Not the way I would like to but I will take it!

I am assuming this means South Dakota. In football terms, it stands for San Diego.

I weighed myself for the first time since my original gallbladder surgery almost two weeks ago and then the liver problems. I have lost 9 lbs. Not the way I would like to but I will take it!

I would take it too, LP!!! Glad to hear your on the mend.

A friend of mine posted a pic on FB--she looked great (she probably weighed close to 350 lb before). I emailed her and asked her for her secret (she's hypothyroid and has been battling her weight for years). She switched her main meal to BREAKFAST, omitted sugar, white flour, rice, bread. It took her 10 months to drop the 75 lb, BUT she has not gained any of the weight back (she is stuck, has been for 5 or 6 months now) BUT she has not gained the weight back. She did add exercise to her routine, BUT she claims she is convinced eating her big meal in the morning. specifically her main meal with protein, was the key because she has always been active (does agility with her dogs and teaches agility classes, etc.) and eliminating sugar, pasta, and bread made the difference.

Just thought I'd share. She had lost weight in the past but always gained it back. Now that she has changed how she eats (not dieting, just a change in her habits), she has lost weight. And yes, she has a family so she has had to make adjustments there as well.

Last edited:
When I was single, I ate breakfast every day and lunch, but rarely dinner. I didn't like preparing a meal for just me and I always seemed to make too much. I would just have a healthy snack in the evening. I stayed thin. Then along comes DH, whose main meal is dinner. Screwed me all up!

As you all may recall, I don't weigh myself. However, today after my mammo I figured I deserved some retail therapy. My summer clothes all are too big, so I thought I might pick up something at Value Village since it was 50% off day. I got a very nice pair of white capri pants, size SIX, and another pair of G. Beene floral capri pants size 8. I haven't worn a size 5/6 since I was 21. They both make me look thin and washed up nicely. I have my annual physical on April 9th. I'll find out how much weight I've lost then (although, I face backwards and don't look at the scale, but since dieting, er, modifying eating habits is a topic my doc and I discuss, I'm sure it will come up, or, more accurately, down).

Last edited:
I spendt another 2 hours in the gym today. I have been exercising 5-6 days a week foir the past 2.5 weeks. I feel like my eating hasn't been real bad. I have lost NO weight! It's getting frustrating!!!

Back
Top Bottom