Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really have to do something about the weight. I wanted to lose about 10 lbs and then I quit smoking in July. I gained over 25 pounds. :ohmy:

Maybe I'll do low carb in the new year. I gained weight the last time I quit and I lost 50 lbs with the Atkins diet. It took over a year, but that's okay, it took five years to gain back the 10 lbs that were excess prior to quitting this time.

DH wants to try a diet with low glycemic load.

powerplantop said:
I have started to really watch what I eat. If I want something I will eat some but I no longer stuff myself. I do eat a lot more real food and mostly stay away from fast and processed foods. Its hard since I travel for work but the results are worth it.

Now it is harder to drop the pounds but the fat is still coming off.

Before I my pants waist size was 38 now I wear 34's and they are loose.

Me March 2010 in Pakistan @ 265lbs.

Me about two weeks ago in Cali, Colombia @ 200lbs.
Congrats!

I too have taken on a similar way of eating, more natural, less processed, and I have found that losing the weight and keeping it off has been pretty easy. I just need to get a bit more focused and get rid of the last 20. I have found maintaining the 70 LB. weight loss pretty easy just by putting better quality foods in and keeping portions reasonable.

I really have to do something about the weight. I wanted to lose about 10 lbs and then I quit smoking in July. I gained over 25 pounds. :ohmy:

Maybe I'll do low carb in the new year. I gained weight the last time I quit and I lost 50 lbs with the Atkins diet. It took over a year, but that's okay, it took five years to gain back the 10 lbs that were excess prior to quitting this time.

DH wants to try a diet with low glycemic load.
I feel your pain. Quit smoking 6/7/11, and as of last week checkup, gained 40 lbs. Plus I retired 10/10, and thats not helping. The MD told me to quit smoking, but he didnt say to quit eating. Sal.:pig::(

I feel your pain. Quit smoking 6/7/11, and as of last week checkup, gained 40 lbs. Plus I retired 10/10, and thats not helping. The MD told me to quit smoking, but he didnt say to quit eating. Sal.:pig::(

Before I quit, my doctor said not to worry about the weight gain with the quitting smoking. I could deal with that later.

For me this is a constant battle!

I have been focusing on eating the calories for what should be my normal weight.

Only eating small amounts of carbs that have, for me, a high WOW factor.

Eating only until I am not hungry instead of until I am full.

Walking daily for exercise. I set the timer on my phone for 15 minutes and see how far I can get then head home when it rings.

I am losing slowly and am very pleased that so far this eating season I am still losing.

It gets boring and tedious but, for me it is better than the very strict diets I went on when I was younger. I still am annoyed that I have gotten to the point in my life where I can finally afford to buy a decent automobile and most any food but now I have to walk and restrict my eating. Life does not seem fair! :LOL:

I've lost 20 pounds in the last two months. Shrek has lost about 40 pounds since July. We have cut portions and restricted sugars. It's working well for us.

I'm in the "should be losing weight" category. I've dieted successfully more than once including losing 43 pounds after a heart attack almost 9 years ago. My Dr. pushes me and threatens that diabetes is around the corner.

I just can't get motivated to make the effort. Food just tastes too good. I have never been a regular exerciser. Any exercise I do is related to dieting. I even have an exercise machine I bought so I would have no excuse for not exercising. I know exactly where it is too.

I see this as an addiction. I'm addicted to eating. Some laugh when I say this but I'm convinced it's as much of an addiction as smoking or illegal drugs.

How's the quit smoking going? When was it you quit?

1/8/10...first heart attack 1/9/10. I'm doing well, don't even think about cigarettes. Chocolate on the other hand...:pig: I got up to 183 from 173 in about 2 months when I went off the Chantix. My yesterday weigh-in...162.

I'm in the "should be losing weight" category. I've dieted successfully more than once including losing 43 pounds after a heart attack almost 9 years ago. My Dr. pushes me and threatens that diabetes is around the corner.

I just can't get motivated to make the effort. Food just tastes too good. I have never been a regular exerciser. Any exercise I do is related to dieting. I even have an exercise machine I bought so I would have no excuse for not exercising. I know exactly where it is too.

I see this as an addiction. I'm addicted to eating. Some laugh when I say this but I'm convinced it's as much of an addiction as smoking or illegal drugs.

Most of our food "addictions" are started when we are babies. Depends on what our mothers gave us when we were little. They are finding in some studies that babies fed with a low salt solution in water have a preference for salty foods when they are toddler age. The studies are still in their infancy (pun intended) but are showing promise in dictating sweet or salt preferences.

Maybe you should think about driving your grandson to the prom!

It seems that in order to be successful we all need a reason outside of ourselves.

I don't try to lose weight--I just try not to gain weight. I have a pair of jeans from 1987. If they still fit, I'm okay. Otherwise, no pasta, bread, alcohol, or ice cream for a week. I don't own a scale--I own a pair of jeans that tell me if I'm gaining weight.

I don't try to lose weight--I just try not to gain weight. I have a pair of jeans from 1987. If they still fit, I'm okay. Otherwise, no pasta, bread, alcohol, or ice cream for a week. I don't own a scale--I own a pair of jeans that tell me if I'm gaining weight.
You forgot no life.Sal.

You forgot no life.Sal.
What do you mean? I eat very well--including FRESH eggs several times / week. I just don't eat a lot of carbs or processed foods. I cook with butter, whole milk, cream. I juice my own fruit juices. I don't eat snacks--except for pretzels or popcorn once in awhile. I don't eat sweets (don't really like sweets since I cut sugar from my diet more or less). I also make my own bread, but don't make bread that often. I probably eat more protein than anything. I love protein--eggs, roast beef, and steak. I also don't eat out--can't afford to do so. Everything in moderation.

Last edited:
spent about 2 hours on line today. ordered my groceries for jan. lots of healthy veggies, and fish, chicken. no sugar jam, lots of fruits, fresh and juice. getting set for the big start diet on the third. i have to do this this time. i have no energy, forty extra pounds wears me out, just carrying it around.

spent about 2 hours on line today. ordered my groceries for jan. lots of healthy veggies, and fish, chicken. no sugar jam, lots of fruits, fresh and juice. getting set for the big start diet on the third. i have to do this this time. i have no energy, forty extra pounds wears me out, just carrying it around.
Good luck! And, I've heard that turning on the radio and dancing helps--haven't tried it, the local radio stations are talk shows, but it makes sense.

Good luck! And, I've heard that turning on the radio and dancing helps--haven't tried it, the local radio stations are talk shows, but it makes sense.

thank you for the luck. i have a recumbent bike. just have to get back on it. :rolleyes:
You go, girl. One of the machines my mom used at PT in August/September while I was there was a recumbent bike. She's now able to walk 1/4 mile/day thanks to the strength building exercises. These were paid for by MediCare because they were ordered by her doctor. For her, it was fun. Maybe your doctor could order you to go to PT for a bit to help?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom