Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not only am I trying to lose weight but overall change the way I eat. I do portion control and cut most fried foods out. I love my french fries so i will just portion them. When I make homemade sweet and sour chicken I either grill the chicken breast or pan fry it. No deep frying with batter. Got to start somewhere.

That is a great way to start ! It's much less stressful and shocking to your mind and body than doing a diet.

I found that portion control is really easy. You get results and don't feel deprived.

Small alterations in the way you cook will become a welcome habit that will also give great results.

There will be a time or 2 when you stray from all of that and indulge .. don't worry about that .. acknowledge that you enjoyed it and then get back at it.

The problem with diets is that sooner or later you will go off the diet and fall back into the old routine.

Small changes will bring about a much better and long lasting result.

Good luck and much success !!

I lost 20 pounds in in January 2011 and kept it off. I fell off the wagon a couple times... lol! I rather dip my food rather then smoother it in sauce or portion out sauce on my food. Portion control is my key. I eat my big meal at lunch time.

Weight is stalled, but I'm losing inches...so I am happy. I went and bought a big package of safety pins for alterations until I can start buying new clothes.:w00t2:

My weight loss has stalled for the last 6 months! I'm really not trying too hard though. I have had more than one person ask me if I had lost more weight, which makes me feel great!

I just need to incorporate more exercise, I am not motivated since I am on my feet 9 hours at work and come home and cook for an hour, but one day I'm just going to do it, I swear that I will :LOL:

bravo, tl! now get rid of the too-big jeans so there is no possible path of return.... :)

Thanks Vit.

It doesn't work that way for me. If I get rid of the "fat" jeans, I'll just need them again in a week or so. Sort of a Murphy's Law kinda thing. So, I will just have to keep the danged things, even though I'm trying to get rid of stuff.

but tl, don't you see that so long as those too-big jeans have a place in your home they will assume proprietary residence there? disposing of them immediately would be a positive of untold layers of inspiration going forward....

but tl, don't you see that so long as those too-big jeans have a place in your home they will assume proprietary residence there? disposing of them immediately would be a positive of untold layers of inspiration going forward....

Sorry, I know this from personal experience. If I get rid of them, I will likely gain weight so I can curse getting rid of them.

If I keep them, they simply annoy me by taking up space. I can live with that better than I can live with regaining weight. There is also something inspiring about a pair of jeans that I can't wear because they are too big. :)

Your logic seems sound and I'm sure it works well for some people.

I'm trying! My problem is not with "fast food" or sugar or fried foods. More with portions, bread, work schedules etc... We for the most part eat home cooked meals from scratch. I just eat too much:( Also I generally work from 1pm-midnight, eat dinner between 5 & 6 then work for another 6-7 hours and it's time for another meal. Usually a couple pieces of toast.
My plan is replace 1 meal every day with a salad, no more after work snacks. If need be I always have carrot & celery sticks in the fridge for snacking. No more second helpings at dinner.
Here's hoping it helps!

I'm trying! My problem is not with "fast food" or sugar or fried foods. More with portions, bread, work schedules etc... We for the most part eat home cooked meals from scratch. I just eat too much:( Also I generally work from 1pm-midnight, eat dinner between 5 & 6 then work for another 6-7 hours and it's time for another meal. Usually a couple pieces of toast.
My plan is replace 1 meal every day with a salad, no more after work snacks. If need be I always have carrot & celery sticks in the fridge for snacking. No more second helpings at dinner.
Here's hoping it helps!

I used to keep carrot sticks and celery sticks in a glass of salt water for my kids to grab until their meal was ready. Also keep fruit handy for a snack. And remember it takes 20 minutes for your stomach to realize that you just gave it food. Eat a snack food or a salad 20 minutes before you eat your meal. You will be less inclined to want those second helpings. Good luck. :chef:

This time of year is girl scout cookie time too, so we have several boxes in our pantry right now. I allow myself two a day. It's enough to give me a treat without going overboard.

I don't think two boxes a day is going overboard provided you space em out through the day... :ROFLMAO:

My sister is 17, last 5 yers she was underweight, but fortunatly, her doctor advised her a special diet. The thing is that when you are a teen it's very important to get all vitamins and nutritions. Now my sister lost more than 15 pounds!!! We are so happy fo her. Besides losing weight,she inproved her health. People!Be more careful with diets and have a consultatiom with you doctor. Just Be more patient and everything will be alright!

Just checking in here. Since January 20 I'm down 17 pounds, have 8 more to go. The last 10 are the toughest right? Thankfully I haven't gone through any plateaus. I think it's because I'm not making very drastic calorie reductions, just enough to lose a pound a week- slow and steady. And keeping my energy up with running.

I did cut down on soda. I love Pepsi but I try to avoid it as much as possible. I do give in to one can a week though. So glad tomato season will be soon, can't wait for Summer ripe tomato sandwiches and tomato salads and fresh tomato basil pizza!

Hope everyone is doing well.

I have just read and reread "The Sugar Blockers Diet" by Rob Thompson, MD and we started the Sugar Blockers eating plan today. This is not the Sugar Busters diet that was out a few years ago. It is similar, but not as restrictive. The main point Dr. Thompson made was that research shows that it is starches that are the main culprit in making us gain weight. However we don't have to totally give us starches if we cut way back on them (1 full serving a day) and we eat foods that are known "sugar blockers" (many vegetables, many fruits, nuts, vinegar, etc.) before eating the starchy food. I would definitely recommend this book. The science behind it all is fascinating (and written in a way that we can all understand it). Dr. Thompson is a cardiologist who became interested in this when he was diagnosed with diabetes.

By using sugar blockers, the sugar from starch in our foods is supposed to go into our system slower. For instance, he said that most foods take the whole 22 feet of our small intestines to be digested, but high starch foods are absorbed in the first few inches. I loved the example he gave about why it is important to have these sugars go into our system slowly. Imagine a fort being protected by a battalion of soldiers. If the enemy attacks one at a time, it will take fewer soldiers to hold them off. But if the enemy attacks all at once, it may take the whole battalion.

I'd better stop now, or I will rewrite the whole book here. :LOL: I have NEVER been so excited or so optimistic about a diet in my life! And before you ask, yes it does include exercise. Mainly to take a 20 minute walk after eating, but it includes some strength exercises as well.

I will let you know how things progress (or don't progress, but I hope that is not the case!). :cool:

Last edited:
Wow, you guys are good dieters! Congrats on the 17lbs, DebLynn! :)

My best dieting tip is to watch Paula Deen cook. Hearing butter and mayonnaise in every single sentence makes me feel real fat and horrible! :p

Dieting too. Was down to my ideal weight a few months ago, but I'm up 7lbs now. Starvation is hard..

I have the perfect scale for dieters. It is digital. If you don't like what it is showing, move it a couple of inches and it will be five to ten pounds less. I should get a new scale, but I kind of like this quirky thing. :)

Eight days into the Sugar Blockers Diet and loving it! I have lost 9 pounds so far, and James has lost 10 or 11. We are not going hungry, and that is a good thing! Also, my blood glucose levels are really good. :cool::cool:

Eight days into the Sugar Blockers Diet and loving it! I have lost 9 pounds so far, and James has lost 10 or 11. We are not going hungry, and that is a good thing! Also, my blood glucose levels are really good. :cool::cool:
Congratulations on your weight loss!! Good for you, it has to feel great!

Aqua chi for me tonight I need to get more conscience what I am putting in my mouth, I have alot to lose.:pig:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom