Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you tried sugar free candies to satisfy your sweet tooth?

I love these and sugar free old fashioned candies but I can't find a pic of those.
There is a big variety of sugar free and low carb candies available.

lifesaversugarfree.jpg

russell_stover_sugar_free_toffee_squares.jpg

Thanks for the tip. I will check them out. Ido enjoy the sugar free werther originals. Sugar free chocolate is not so good.

Thanks for the tip. I will check them out. Ido enjoy the sugar free werther originals. Sugar free chocolate is not so good.

Sugar free chocolate is getting so much better. Russel Stover makes some good stuff and they have Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, York Peppermint Patties and others in sugar free now too. My Dad loved them. There were some bars I got that you couldn't tell the difference, but I can't remember the name. You just can't eat a lot because the malitol can have a not too great side-affect. ;)

I had a horrible day yesterday. I ate quesadillas which had cheese, tortillas, sour cream that I shouldn't have, not to mention the mexi-fries (tator tots) and the Bavarian cream empanada I shared with TB. Then for dinner it was a mushroom Swiss burger and onion rings followed by a Peanut Buster Parfait at DQ for a late (9 pm) dinner.

The worst part of it is that I actually feel better today than I did before eating all that food that is supposed to be bad for my allergy and food intolerances. I say the worst part because I am hoping that doesn't make it easier to stray again.

Mostly I think I just needed to get some food in me, and my flu-like symptoms are gone, I just have a cold. I weighed in this morning and I am still holding at 200 which is good. Health is my first goal here, weight-loss the second!

Sugar free chocolate is getting so much better. Russel Stover makes some good stuff and they have Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, York Peppermint Patties and others in sugar free now too. My Dad loved them. There were some bars I got that you couldn't tell the difference, but I can't remember the name. You just can't eat a lot because the malitol can have a not too great side-affect. ;)
I have had Russel Stover stuff made with alcohol sugar (can't remember which one) that was very good. I have had other chocolate made with maltitol that was good. That was about six or seven years ago when I was doing Atkins. The alcohol sugars are low carb.

I had to stop posting calories, I was getting too anxious about it all. I'm doing much better mind-set wise not being a slave to reporting.

I had to stop posting calories, I was getting too anxious about it all. I'm doing much better mind-set wise not being a slave to reporting.

Yes, I totally agree. The fact that mine is a "life-style" more than a "diet" is helping me to a) stay on it and b) (like confessed below) be able to forgive myself and move on if I slip.

You will do great, Princess! We are here to cheer you on! :clap::clap:

I had a horrible day yesterday. I ate quesadillas which had cheese, tortillas, sour cream that I shouldn't have, not to mention the mexi-fries (tator tots) and the Bavarian cream empanada I shared with TB. Then for dinner it was a mushroom Swiss burger and onion rings followed by a Peanut Buster Parfait at DQ for a late (9 pm) dinner.

The worst part of it is that I actually feel better today than I did before eating all that food that is supposed to be bad for my allergy and food intolerances. I say the worst part because I am hoping that doesn't make it easier to stray again.

Mostly I think I just needed to get some food in me, and my flu-like symptoms are gone, I just have a cold. I weighed in this morning and I am still holding at 200 which is good. Health is my first goal here, weight-loss the second!

You know what .. sometimes we NEED to take a different path for our mental health so we can work better on the physical ! We do that periodically and we got over the guilt thing.

Sticking to a strict diet can be very taxing and sometimes you just have to do something a bit naughty .. then it's done.

So acknowledge that food you ate, recognize that you enjoyed it and put yourself back on track .. it's going to be okay !! :)

Last edited:
I enjoy tracking my food on line. I use sparkpeople. Its a free site that lays out a calorie plan for you. It helps broaden my horizons as far as going out to eatn portion contoll & just knowning when to say enough for the day. I slack off on it sometimes but its a good guide for my long term lifestyle change.

I weighed myself near christmas and not again until yesterday. I was afraid that my sugar binge over Christmas had caused some weight gain. Well the good news is, I am at the SAME weight as I was before Christmas! Maybe I should try an all cookie diet? :LOL:

My eating habits over Christmas were really terrible, my sugar addiction reared its ugly head, luckily I seem to have it under control once again. For the first time in my life I seem to be able to get back on track fairly easily after holidays or vacation. At the beginning of this latest weight loss journey, the thought of the holidays or vacation caused me so much anxiety. Now I just enjoy them, eat what I want, and get back on track when it's over. I may have finally found my balance with food. Since it has been 3 years since I started, I'm encouraged. I never maintained weight for more than a couple of months before gaining again.

Bakechef and simonbaker, and all others who are trying to lose weight, when I was first diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in the late 90's, I was in a panic. Give up BBQ sauce? It has sugar in it. Give up coffee? I can't drink it without sugar. Cookies and milk? My favorite snack. Hot cocoa? Anything better on a cold winter's day? Pasta? I grew up on pasta. As the months flew by, I calmed down. I had been seeing all foods as carbs or had sugar in them. Common sense took over. I did cut way back on foods that had sugar in them. My sugar levels were some days too low. A quick glass of orange juice or a very large spoonful of sugar brought my sugar right back up. And I didn't die from having that sugar. As time went by, I slowly adjusted my diet so that those episodes happened less and less frequently. And when they did, I was finding that the sugar trick was just too much. I had been going without sugar so long, that I now couldn't tolerate the sweetness. I also discovered that there are good and bad carbs. Potatoes are a good carb. (What a relief. I love baked potatoes.)

Today, the only sugar in my diet at all is in my coffee. I promised myself, after trying all the chemical sweeteners, if I could have sugar in just my coffee, then I would gladly give up sugar in every other form. As time went by, I started to cut back on the amount of sugar. I now put less sugar in my coffee and do not stir it. As a result, I get a mouthful at the bottom of the cup. BIG YUK! So I never drink that last mouthful.

Today, I will on occasion eat a small chocolate chip cookie. I never finish it. Too sweet. I would rather have a big bowl of broccoli than peas, carrots, or other veggie that is high in natural sugar. I love most veggies. but have developed a strong fondness for the veggies that are best for me.

It is all a matter of changing your life style. And it happens over time very slowly. You learn new eating habits and they become a natural part of your life. With portion control, you find that if you go into a restaurant and they bring you an enormous plate full to the brim of food, you are lucky if you eat a quarter of it. And if you take a doggie bag home, it really goes to the doggie.

Don't be so hard on yourselves. All of you will get a handle on this thing called "sensible eating." You will run into folks who all have an aunt or uncle who is on insulin. They cheat all the time and it didn't do them any harm. That's them, not you. For some, counting calories works. Others, it is keeping track of sugar and carbs. Keeping a food diary works for others. The only right system is the one that works for you.

Picture your heart doing a 'happy dance' every time you eat right. Think of your blood just rushing though your arteries and veins when you eat foods low in cholesterol. You know how you feel when you have eaten way too much? Well that is how your arteries feel when you eat a big fat grease laden burger. Sluggish.

You will hit plateaus, your body's shape will change. Just remember you put the weight on over a long period of time. It will take time to lose it. It doesn't happen over night.

A.A. has an acronym of H.A.L.T. When a member feels like they are going to fall off the wagon, remember H.A.L.T. Don't allow yourself to get Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired. When any one of those feelings creep up on you, that is when you are most likely to fall off your diet wagon. :angel:

Thanks for the encouragement Addie!

I really don't have a restrictive diet, I still eat everything. Sugar is what seems to be a problem for me at times, but luckily I am able to control those cravings like never before. All it takes is a couple of weeks of restricting my sugar intake to curb the cravings. But to be honest after a vacation or holiday, my body is ready for more healthy foods and the sugar cravings start to subside a bit. It's still a bit of a struggle, but not like it used to be.

My only added sugar is the Natural Bliss vanilla creamer, and a teaspoon of raw sugar on my oatmeal. Yeah, here and there I'll eat sweets, but I'm not having crazy cravings for it anymore. I still eat pasta, rice, bread etc.. but not in large quantities anymore.

Over the last 3 years I've lost 80 pounds, with the last 30 coming off in the last year and a half, and I am totally OK with the slow weight loss. I will have months of a plateau, but it no longer bothers me, I see it as maintaining, and since I am not really dieting, I see that as a huge success!

I guess I am the lucky one...gaining weight is SO hard for me...maybe that's because of my steak diet :D

My husband's primary care physician is astonished. He is no longer even considered borderline diabetic. In his case it was regulating carbs, not necessarily even limiting them. Just spreading them out over the day. Every body is different. He hasn't lost weight (although that would help) and lately has fallen down on aerobic exercise. the latter can be difficult (It was 10 degrees this morning, and he has asthma). We bought an exercise bike a few years ago, but face it, they are incredibly boring. I think my husband might be the first man his doctor had "cure himself' with diet alone. I know that all the men I've known who hit that diabetes wall left it to their wives to deal with it, then bitched and moaned about their "diet", and cheated whenever possible. Hidden caches of sweets and chips. I took out two measuring cups (1/2 c and 1 c) and told him, you're on. Just as I did when he was diagnosed with gout. I took out a 2 quart pitcher, filled it with water, and said, you're on your own. Drink it or not. he's a big boy. I just told him, you have to decide how much pain you're willing to live with. My hands are shaky (always have been) ... do you want ME giving you a shot?

My husband's primary care physician is astonished. He is no longer even considered borderline diabetic. In his case it was regulating carbs, not necessarily even limiting them. Just spreading them out over the day. Every body is different. He hasn't lost weight (although that would help) and lately has fallen down on aerobic exercise. the latter can be difficult (It was 10 degrees this morning, and he has asthma). We bought an exercise bike a few years ago, but face it, they are incredibly boring. I think my husband might be the first man his doctor had "cure himself' with diet alone. I know that all the men I've known who hit that diabetes wall left it to their wives to deal with it, then bitched and moaned about their "diet", and cheated whenever possible. Hidden caches of sweets and chips. I took out two measuring cups (1/2 c and 1 c) and told him, you're on. Just as I did when he was diagnosed with gout. I took out a 2 quart pitcher, filled it with water, and said, you're on your own. Drink it or not. he's a big boy. I just told him, you have to decide how much pain you're willing to live with. My hands are shaky (always have been) ... do you want ME giving you a shot?

Smart man you have there. Wise wife he has. :angel:

I was also diagnosed a little while ago as "pre diabetic" and a lot of people said I will get diabetes. My tests are clear now and my sugar level is normal. I asked my Dr about it and he said that even though only a few people don't become diabetic after pre-diabetes, some are lucky. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones!
All I did was change my diet and only used the meds he gave me for a week or so.
I couldn't face more medication, I already rattle after taking my meds :LOL:

Folks, please remember you are not dieting, you are changing your eating habits. I have lost 20-30 lb because I switched up when I ate my biggest meal (breakfast), cut bread out of my diet almost completely, only eat whole grains, and eliminated white sugar. The problem is that now I don't have any jeans that fit. And, my "sweet tooth" doesn't bother me, but the tooth I broke eating popped wild rice does...

Back
Top Bottom