Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm awaiting a date to have a gut biopsy :mad:

So the only thing I'm cutting out atm is sugar, though I'm slowly adding the items I can eat, if I have to switch to gluten-free. Otherwise I can see me eating only a handful of things.

So bread & pasta is still on the table for the time being, I'm just thinking ahead, about the food items I don't really eat on a day to day basis, just bring them into my diet, just so that I get used to them,

Don't start cutting out too much until the doctor has verified whether or not you have celiac. I seem to remember reading that if you start cutting out gluten and stuff, it can confuse the diagnostic tests.

I'm awaiting a date to have a gut biopsy :mad:

So the only thing I'm cutting out atm is sugar, though I'm slowly adding the items I can eat, if I have to switch to gluten-free. Otherwise I can see me eating only a handful of things.

So bread & pasta is still on the table for the time being, I'm just thinking ahead, about the food items I don't really eat on a day to day basis, just bring them into my diet, just so that I get used to them,

Oh dear, hope everything goes well, CW!

It should a gut biopsy is the only way to correctly diagnose celiac's, unless a doctor is confident enough with the blood test results.

Gut, meaning stomach, or intestine? Have you been able to pin them down to a date for your appointment?

Sounds scary! {{{hugs}}}

I think a gluten intolerance would be tough to deal with, especially if your diet normally contains wheat products, and whose doesn't to some point? I checked online for the symptoms and as soon as I saw "weight loss" I knew I didn't have it. LOL It's that way with a lot of diseases.

Crystal Writer, I am in no way trying to humorize your problem. It can be serious. Maybe they will find out that it's not celiac, but something else. Good luck to you.

Actually gluten intolerance and Coeliac's is two different things, or so I'm told. An intolerance is an allergy, and coeliac is an auto-immune disease. You'd be surprized how many people get that wrong.

I don't have weight loss so, but I know you weren't trying to humerize it. :) Sadly the doc's have counted most other things out. So they are trying this.

I think a gluten intolerance would be tough to deal with, especially if your diet normally contains wheat products, and whose doesn't to some point? I checked online for the symptoms and as soon as I saw "weight loss" I knew I didn't have it. LOL It's that way with a lot of diseases.

Crystal Writer, I am in no way trying to humorize your problem. It can be serious. Maybe they will find out that it's not celiac, but something else. Good luck to you.

I've had Crohn's disease for over 20 years and didn't lose weight till relatively recently. Not everyone has all the same symptoms of a disease. I think a doctor is really the only one who can diagnose problems like these, since there are many things that can cause similar symptoms.

Good morning. I hope everyone is starting out Monday morning with a healthy breakfast. I weighed in this morning and I have lost three more pounds this week. I am at a total loss of 31 pounds, and still going strong. My DIL also lost three pounds this week, and she was on vacation. I think this morning I will have some eggs and veggies with a carb balance tortilla. I still have relatives visiting, and I am still staying on track. We made some really good mint-tactic bars and I did have a small piece, but didn't go overboard. :)

Good for you, Chopper! I had a doctor's appt. today...at the end, she asked me if I was aware of how much weight I'd lost since last year...I told her I knew I'd shrunk two sizes...but I don't weigh myself (I stand on the scale backwards when weighed at the doctor's). So we had a rather long discussion about how I switched how I eat. She said she goes on a diet every 3-4 months, but always gains the weight back...I see her again in two weeks. She's promised to report back on her progress eating the way I eat!

Good for you, Chopper! I had a doctor's appt. today...at the end, she asked me if I was aware of how much weight I'd lost since last year...I told her I knew I'd shrunk two sizes...but I don't weigh myself (I stand on the scale backwards when weighed at the doctor's). So we had a rather long discussion about how I switched how I eat. She said she goes on a diet every 3-4 months, but always gains the weight back...I see her again in two weeks. She's promised to report back on her progress eating the way I eat!
Sounds like you have a very sensible doctor. Hang on to her.

Hi, new here! Just joined today!

I've been trying to incorporate more fruits and smoothies into my diet, but is that healthy? I've been told that fruit has a lot of sugar and isn't always best for weight loss.

Hi, new here! Just joined today!

I've been trying to incorporate more fruits and smoothies into my diet, but is that healthy? I've been told that fruit has a lot of sugar and isn't always best for weight loss.

Hi and welcome to DC :) Fruit has sugar but is mostly water so it's low-calorie. The fiber fills you up before you overdo the sugar. I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:
It is a different kind of sugar. And like most fruit you are taking in much needed vitamins and nutrients. Just remember you also need protein in your diet.

Folks think and believe so many myths about certain foods. Not all carbs are bad. A baked potato is another veggie loaded with much needed vitamins and nutrients. The carb content is much lower than the need for all the good things. Most folks think watermelon is just water and sugar. Wrong! Again loaded with so many other good things. If you are looking to change your diet, you need to start educating yourself. The internet is a great place to start. Along with DC. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom