Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, new here! Just joined today!

I've been trying to incorporate more fruits and smoothies into my diet, but is that healthy? I've been told that fruit has a lot of sugar and isn't always best for weight loss.
The problem isn't with smoothies, where you are getting whole fruit. It's with fruit juice, where the fibre has been removed. You don't get the beneficial fibre and you can drink a whole lot more of that sugar when it's just juice.

Congrats CWS. Two sizes! How wonderful! My doctor will be pleasantly suprized when I go in next week too I think. She told me in February that losing ten percent of my body weight would be a good place to start. While I am now past that so she should see that as good progress. I really like my doc too, and she is realistic. I love that you are an inspiration for your doctor. They are real people too. :)

Welcome socalchica. We are glad that you have joined us! Fruit is a good thing! I agree with taxlady on fruit. The whole fruit is great! I don't eat a lot of fruit, but when I do I eat it i have the whole fruit rather than the juice. I also agree with Addie on the eating of protein along with the fruit. If I eat any kind of carb at all including fruit, I eat protein along with it. I think I will have melon this morning with breakfast, but a small portion with eggs too. :yum:

It is a different kind of sugar. And like most fruit you are taking in much needed vitamins and nutrients. Just remember you also need protein in your diet.

Folks think and believe so many myths about certain foods. Not all carbs are bad. A baked potato is another veggie loaded with much needed vitamins and nutrients. The carb content is much lower than the need for all the good things. Most folks think watermelon is just water and sugar. Wrong! Again loaded with so many other good things. If you are looking to change your diet, you need to start educating yourself. The internet is a great place to start. Along with DC. :angel:

Addie, I cannot eat a baked potato. It spikes my blood sugar, and I love baked potatoes! If I have them at dinner, I can eat maybe 1 or 2 bites of it along with the rest of my meal without having a BS spike.

For some reason I never found out, my grandfather did not allow bread and potatoes to be served at the same meal. It had to be one or the other. It wasn't because of his knowledge of nutrition because this was back in the early 1900's when no one really knew much about nutrition. And it couldn't have been because of the cost, because bread and potatoes were both very cheap back then. My mother never knew the reason, but he continued that until he died.

For some reason I never found out, my grandfather did not allow bread and potatoes to be served at the same meal. It had to be one or the other. It wasn't because of his knowledge of nutrition because this was back in the early 1900's when no one really knew much about nutrition. And it couldn't have been because of the cost, because bread and potatoes were both very cheap back then. My mother never knew the reason, but he continued that until he died.

I wonder if he was familiar with Edgar Cayce. He supposedly had visions and gave readings on various topics, mostly medical, but he did discuss nutrition and he advocated not eating more than one starch at a meal. He died in 1945.
http://www.edgarcayce.org/

Addie, I cannot eat a baked potato. It spikes my blood sugar, and I love baked potatoes! If I have them at dinner, I can eat maybe 1 or 2 bites of it along with the rest of my meal without having a BS spike.

Try eating the baked potato with fat, butter or sour cream or try a few french fries. The fat slows the absorption of the carbs into your system and also tastes good. This works for me with potatoes but not with bread or baked goods. With them nothing helps anymore. My Mother believed in the one starch or sweet rule and she also would only eat those types of things at breakfast and lunch as part of a meal. Never after lunch. You really need to experiment and find out what works for your body.

I wish I came with an owners manual! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I had a great work out this afternoon. Slow day at work so I went right into the gym after work & got 35 mn on the elliptical & 30 mn on the stationary bike, by the time I got home it was time to go back to the pool to aqua chi class.

This weekend is our live in for the weekend, family re union. 40 people with alot of good food & drinks. Always a challenge to stay on track.

I had a great work out this afternoon. Slow day at work so I went right into the gym after work & got 35 mn on the elliptical & 30 mn on the stationary bike, by the time I got home it was time to go back to the pool to aqua chi class.

This weekend is our live in for the weekend, family re union. 40 people with alot of good food & drinks. Always a challenge to stay on track.

You certainly seem to be in the path of being tested. Folks hate to see other succeed where they have failed. So if someone tries to tell you, "Oh go ahead. One little mouthful isn't going to make any difference," the perfect line for you right now is, "I haven't fully recovered from my surgery and the doctor told me not to eat it. If I do eat it, it could send me right back into surgery."

One spoon of this, one spoon of that. You don't have to have a big helping of everything. Take one of the smaller plates. Make a sampler plate of foods you like. Eat slowly. The slower you eat, the less you will eat. And talk to someone while you are eating. It will cause you to eat slower, thus getting filled up with less food. I know sweets are your nemesis, so allow yourself one small helping of a sweet at the end of a meal. And if you show no weight gain in the next day of two, you can feel really proud. You are a success. But if you do, then so be it. Think of the positive side. You spent the weekend with family. And there is nothing more important than family. :angel:

I've been in denial and putting off doing anything about my weight, but it keeps creeping up each year. I would love to get some ideas for weight loss... I need help!

I've been in denial and putting off doing anything about my weight, but it keeps creeping up each year. I would love to get some ideas for weight loss... I need help!

This is an excellent thread to read from the beginning. Lots of good ideas and encouragement.

I wonder if he was familiar with Edgar Cayce. He supposedly had visions and gave readings on various topics, mostly medical, but he did discuss nutrition and he advocated not eating more than one starch at a meal. He died in 1945.
Edgar Cayce' s Association for Research and Enlightenment (A.R.E.) - Edgar Cayce readings: Spiritual Growth, Health, Ancient Mysteries

Got Garlic Although that sounds like a good explanation, I doubt that was the case. (no pun intended!) My grandfather was born in England in the 1800's. He came to America with his very poor family when he was 5 years old. He never went to even one day of school and worked as soon as he was able. He could not read or write, not even his name. It might have been a custom in his family, maybe from the part of England where they were from. Even when he was raising his family, they had 11 children and were very poor. You would think they would eat whatever was in abundance and would fill everyone up.

This thing with Edgar Cayce is the first time I have heard any reference to this. I will read up on it. Thanks!

Aunt Bea, I will check my BS the next time I eat a baked potato with lots of butter and sour cream. I have heard that fat is a key in helping keep blood sugar low. It would be wonderful if I could enjoy baked potatoes again, even half a potato!

I had to talk myself into going into the gym today. I just did a few weight machines & 35 mn on the elliptical. Aqua chi in the pool for 45 mn after that. The weekend starts tomorrow night with the big family, weekend, reunion.

I have been getting on the exercise bike every day for the last 3 weeks...I love it, feels good!

I dont really want to lose much weight, more about the cardio side of things, good for the heart etc

Good morning. I hope everyone is starting out Monday morning with a healthy breakfast. I weighed in this morning and I have lost three more pounds this week. I am at a total loss of 31 pounds, and still going strong. My DIL also lost three pounds this week, and she was on vacation. I think this morning I will have some eggs and veggies with a carb balance tortilla. I still have relatives visiting, and I am still staying on track. We made some really good mint-tactic bars and I did have a small piece, but didn't go overboard. :)

Well done Chops and to your DIL :)

I had to talk myself into going into the gym today. I just did a few weight machines & 35 mn on the elliptical. Aqua chi in the pool for 45 mn after that. The weekend starts tomorrow night with the big family, weekend, reunion.

Come Monday, you will feel more like being there. Your mind right now is elsewhere. :angel:

I have been getting on the exercise bike every day for the last 3 weeks...I love it, feels good!

I dont really want to lose much weight, more about the cardio side of things, good for the heart etc

Good for you Kylie! Many people don't realize that some daily exercise is essential for everyone, not just those looking to lose weight!

Thank you Carol :)

I too believe that even just 30 minutes of exercise a day is vital for a healthy body, mind and soul :)

We also go for a walk for about 30 minutes after dinner most nights

Thank you Carol :)

I too believe that even just 30 minutes of exercise a day is vital for a healthy body, mind and soul :)

We also go for a walk for about 30 minutes after dinner most nights

I had a quintuplet bypass surgery on my heart. Two of the bypasses failed shortly after the surgery. I miss taking long walks. I miss not be able to be as active as I used to be. I would love to take up bike riding again. But all that is to be no more. Not if I want to stay alive long enough to see my daughter beat her present health problem. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom