Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Addie, I am so glad you received good news about your daughter! That's wonderful!

My bypass surgery was quadruple with one failing afterward. I still do my exercising, but at my pace. People who don't know my story would say I am not exercising, but it is what I can do at the speed at which I can do it. That's why I prefer to exercise in my own home. No one judging me. One time when I was still working I was walking up the stairs and a man said "If you walk up the stairs any slower you will be going backwards." Within a week I was in the hospital. Sometimes people just don't realize what they're saying when they don't know the circumstances.

I had to have surgery on my leg six years ago. Today I am afraid of losing my balance when I have one foot off the floor. The surgery was a success and I still have my leg today. But stairs have become my nemesis. I have to make sure there is a railing so I can pull myself up. Or I can crawl up on all fours. But coming down is another story. I can run down going backwards. If I go down facing forward, it jolts my hip and I almost go down the flight faster then I intended. Weird, I know. But my whole life has been lived as weird. :angel:

I am medication that makes me nauseous. Interesting way to lose weight. I can still eat eggsm grains, greens, oh, and cheese. Other than that, everything else makes me gag. What is most interesting is I do crave carbs (which I rarely eat) when the nausea passes in the late afternoon. Hopefully, the nausea will go away by the end of next week. Not the way one wants to lose weight and I'm not counting this--I'll probably gain the weight (7 lb) back. I want the nausea to go away.

Last edited:
I am medication that makes me nauseous. Interesting way to lose weight. I can still eat eggsm grains, greens, oh, and cheese. Other than that, everything else makes me gag. What is most interesting is I do crave carbs (which I rarely eat) when the nausea passes in the late afternoon. Hopefully, the nausea will go away by the end of next week. Not the way one wants to lose weight and I'm not counting this--I'll probably gain the weight (7 lb) back. I want the nausea to go away.

:wacko: I know the feeling. I have very severe vertigo. When the medication doesn't work, the only thing to bring it under control, is the dry heaves. I am afraid to eat for a couple of days as that seems to set off another round of the vertigo. Can't win for losing. Pun intended! :angel:

Went to the doctor today. She was pleased with my weight loss. My blood pressure has always been good, but now it was 100/60. Doesn't get much better than that. Not bad for someone who will soon be 53 years old. :ROFLMAO:

Great BP Chopper! I have a cardiologist appt on the 14th and need to get mine down a bit before then.

Addie Please be careful. With the stairs combined with the vertigo, it can be very dangerous.

CWS4322 My Metformin causes some nausea, especially since he upped my dose, but it's not enough to cause any weight loss. Right after my heart surgery I was diagnosed with diabetes so they started me on Metformin. That and the surgery caused some nausea and I ended up losing 25 lbs. I had an appetite and could eat most everything, but after a few bites I got nauseated and had to stop. I was disappointed that it eventually went away....I still have about 50 more pounds to lose.

I have about 40 more pounds that I could lose. I will just keep going the way I am and see if I can do that. The big thing is to not let it creep back up. :)

Great BP Chopper! I have a cardiologist appt on the 14th and need to get mine down a bit before then.

Addie Please be careful. With the stairs combined with the vertigo, it can be very dangerous.

CWS4322 My Metformin causes some nausea, especially since he upped my dose, but it's not enough to cause any weight loss. Right after my heart surgery I was diagnosed with diabetes so they started me on Metformin. That and the surgery caused some nausea and I ended up losing 25 lbs. I had an appetite and could eat most everything, but after a few bites I got nauseated and had to stop. I was disappointed that it eventually went away....I still have about 50 more pounds to lose.

I also became nauseous on Metformin after taking it for several months. My doctor is still trying to get me to agree to go back on it. Nope. Not for me. At the beginning it just about saved my life. I was waking up in the middle of the night with sugar spikes as high as 360. The Metformin brought it under control immediately. I am so glad to hear I am not the only one who get nauseous from Metformin. At first the doctor thought I wasn't telling him everything. Then I delayed taking my morning dose until I took it in front of him and within ten minutes was heaving very hard. A strain on my heart. That was more than a year ago. Vomiting is the hard way to lose weight. :angel:

I am very sensitive to medication. This is an anti-anxiety medication (2nd one we've tried--first one made me so nauseated there were days all I could do was lie on the couch and remain very, very still with my eyes closed). This one isn't quite as bad, but I really don't have much of an appetite and some foods taste funny. I have a very "trigger happy" gag reflex, so if nauseated, I can't swallow.

I got back on the scale this afternoon after deep water aerobics, it's down 5 lbs from Monday but it's still 4 lbs heavier than before the weekend, I will need to pay serious attention to my eating habits when vacation starts Friday night.

Thanks to all for the positive encouragement!

I got back on the scale this afternoon after deep water aerobics, it's down 5 lbs from Monday but it's still 4 lbs heavier than before the weekend, I will need to pay serious attention to my eating habits when vacation starts Friday night.

The vacation is from work, not the diet. (Unfortunately!) You had your free days when you had the family reunion. :angel:

The vacation is from work, not the diet. (Unfortunately!) You had your free days when you had the family reunion. :angel:
You are absolutely right! Now I just have to keep reminding myself of that all week long. I'm looking forward to vacation but a little apprehensive at the same time. Our hotel will have wii fii so it will help keep me on track recording what I eat.
Thank you so very much for the support!:angel::angel:

Okay, a year ago I did want to lose weight. I lost the weight, was happy to "fit" into size 10 again. I'm 5'6". I like being this size--this is the size I was from the time I graduated high school four-five years ago. I'm not liking that my size 10 jeans are hanging off me (I can pull them down without having to unbutton/unzip them). I don't have any more clothes that fit me! I can't afford new clothes. Hopefully, once I get this drug switched so I can take it at night, the nausea will pass and I'll be able to eat every day. There have been days when all I can stomach is a piece of cheese or a kiwi. Other days, I'm fine, but the number of those days/week is fewer than the days I don't eat all or only eat enough to sustain a chicken (or maybe not even). Done ranting. I know many are struggling to lose weight. It took me 6 months to shrink 2 sizes (I think?). What happened was I changed how I eat. My friends took me out for breakfast this morning. I had a poached egg, a pile of fresh fruit, cottage cheese, and my splurge was three fried sausages. I wasn't even tempted by the pancakes, waffles, fried potatoes, etc. A year ago, I would have never have ordered the breakfast I ordered. I guess I have succeeded in acquiring new eating habits.

I know the feeling CWS. I don't know what the name of what my problem is, but I do know it is not anorexia. I went shopping this morning and bought a lot of the foods I enjoy. I will even make the effort to cook them, and then eat only one or two mouthfuls. Then I start to gag or heave. I can't get the food to go down my throat. Knowing I am going to be able to eat just a few mouthfuls, I bought somewhat healthy snack foods, like one of each fruit. Here's hoping I can finish a whole pear or peach in one sitting.

In the meantime like you, I can't afford a whole new wardrobe. I bought a pair of shorts that could now fit a grown man. They just fall down around my ankles. Tops are sliding off my shoulders. Dresses just hang straight down on me.

I bought some green grapes. I have been known to sit and eat the whole bag in one sitting. So I grabbed about five or six of them when I was putting them away. I ate two and the rest went back into the bag. Animal Crackers. Who doesn't love them? Ate three of them, closed the package and put it away. My dislike of bread started this all. Two pieces of artisan bread with a pile of cold cuts and cheese along with a slice of tomato and a mayo spread . Even now it sound so good. But I know if I took two bites, I would start gagging and heaving.

I am not trying to lose the weight. I don't want to end up looking like a matchstick. I don't know what the problem is, but I wish it would go away. :angel:

I don't own a scale. I have no idea how much I weigh. I gauge my weight by how my clothes fit. I find the worrying about whether I've lost or gained weight too stressful. For me, shrinking a size works. A size roughly = 20 lb for me.

I know the feeling CWS. I don't know what the name of what my problem is, but I do know it is not anorexia. I went shopping this morning and bought a lot of the foods I enjoy. I will even make the effort to cook them, and then eat only one or two mouthfuls. Then I start to gag or heave. I can't get the food to go down my throat. Knowing I am going to be able to eat just a few mouthfuls, I bought somewhat healthy snack foods, like one of each fruit. Here's hoping I can finish a whole pear or peach in one sitting.

In the meantime like you, I can't afford a whole new wardrobe. I bought a pair of shorts that could now fit a grown man. They just fall down around my ankles. Tops are sliding off my shoulders. Dresses just hang straight down on me.

I bought some green grapes. I have been known to sit and eat the whole bag in one sitting. So I grabbed about five or six of them when I was putting them away. I ate two and the rest went back into the bag. Animal Crackers. Who doesn't love them? Ate three of them, closed the package and put it away. My dislike of bread started this all. Two pieces of artisan bread with a pile of cold cuts and cheese along with a slice of tomato and a mayo spread . Even now it sound so good. But I know if I took two bites, I would start gagging and heaving.

I am not trying to lose the weight. I don't want to end up looking like a matchstick. I don't know what the problem is, but I wish it would go away. :angel:
I hear you, Addie. I have fed the chickens a lot of fruit and veggies since mid-June. I've invited a friend to drop by this evening to eat some of the food left from when my house guests were here. Otherwise, it will go to the chickens. I wonder if they like baba ganoughj - they are not particularly fond of raw egg plant.

I have shorts I bought last summer. I have to wear those with a big safety pin to hold them up--if I don't, the waist slides down and is around my knees if I'm not quick enough to hike them up--hard to do if you have both hands full. And, I probably look like I'm wearing s/one else's shorts. I am so annoyed that I didn't think about this when buying things--they all have French seams on the sides and rear pockets so altering them would take a lot of time and effort (can't take the sides in, have to take the waistband and pockets off to take darts in the back).

Addie, I don't know what could be causing your eating problem but it sounds terrible and possibly dangerous. It's hard to get your nutrients when you only eat a couple bites. I would like to have whatever it is, just for a few months, until I lose the weight I would like to lose, That's the way I was for a few months after my heart bypass surgery, but it didn't last long enough to get rid of all the excess weight, and now I'm gaining it back. Yikes!

Addie, I don't know what could be causing your eating problem but it sounds terrible and possibly dangerous. It's hard to get your nutrients when you only eat a couple bites. I would like to have whatever it is, just for a few months, until I lose the weight I would like to lose, That's the way I was for a few months after my heart bypass surgery, but it didn't last long enough to get rid of all the excess weight, and now I'm gaining it back. Yikes!

I have been picking at grapes all day. And yes, I do lose weight with this problem. Part of the problem is that I had the bottom of my stomach removed. I had ulcers eating my ulcers and was just an nth away from my stomach perforating. During the surgery, they severed my vagus nerve (that's the one that creates the acid in the stomach) and the nerve that tells you when you are hungry. As a result, I don't get hunger pains like most folks do. The only reason I eat is because I actually miss the act of chewing. When I get involved in a project, I have gone as long as five days with just liquids simply because I forget to eat. I always have a cup of coffee, water or tea in my hand. I even take a cup of coffee to bed with me. Sometimes in the winter I keep a cup of chicken broth going. Part of my present problem is I simply do not feel like cooking. I need to get a checkup for my thyroid again. It is that time. I am showing all the signs of my thyroid slowing me down and I have no energy. I hope it is just my thyroid and not all old age. The thyroid problem can be fixed. Not much to do about old age. Just doing the dishes can leave me exhausted. And I use paper plates and bowls. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom