Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Addie - I think a man at work had that same problem, had part of his stomach removed. Afterwards he lost a lot of weight, but he was overweight to begin with so it was good for him to lose. He never said that he didn't get hungry, but he could only eat small amounts and had to eat very often.

I hope you can get some energy back and feel better.

... then eat only one or two mouthfuls. Then I start to gag or heave. I can't get the food to go down my throat. :angel:
Addie, I know you are not a dog, but I had a dog that had a condition where the esophagus narrowed. He would gag and heave when fed. We started giving him an anti-nausea/gag pill about 30 minutes before feeding. I won't say it was perfect, but it helped. He also was a heart dog and on a number of heart meds. When I remember, I take an OTC motion-sickness pill with my medication and that seems to help (but might be why I'm so sleepy). Have you explored such options with your doctor? Might be worth asking about. Also, have they checked to make sure there is no helio bacter still present from the ulcers? This particular dog also had helio bacter present when younger and would gag and heave immediately after he started eating. I mean no offense using an experience I had with a dog and what you are experiencing. I am just trying to think out of the box.

Addie, I know you are not a dog, but I had a dog that had a condition where the esophagus narrowed. He would gag and heave when fed. We started giving him an anti-nausea/gag pill about 30 minutes before feeding. I won't say it was perfect, but it helped. He also was a heart dog and on a number of heart meds. When I remember, I take an OTC motion-sickness pill with my medication and that seems to help (but might be why I'm so sleepy). Have you explored such options with your doctor? Might be worth asking about. Also, have they checked to make sure there is no helio bacter still present from the ulcers? This particular dog also had helio bacter present when younger and would gag and heave immediately after he started eating. I mean no offense using an experience I had with a dog and what you are experiencing. I am just trying to think out of the box.

No offense taken.

I can't eat long spaghetti. It just hangs down my throat. It seem my swallowing muscles have gotten weaker with age. My doctor said this is common in the elderly.

I have been on anti nausea pills for ages. Since the early 70's But there are things I have learned not to do. Like turning too fast, don't tilt my head up to look at tall buildings, look at them from a distance, don't look at the bow of a boat cutting through the water on TV, etc. All those things bring on the vertigo plus others. That I have under control through trial and error.

Part of my eating problem is that I am no longer as active as I used to be. I am not chasing after a plethora of kids, washing windows and woodwork, scrubbing floors, etc. That too is common in the elderly. So I don't need as much food. I personally think it is mostly mental. I used to love making cakes and other foods for my kids. I seem to have lost my love of cooking even for myself. So I tend to eat quick foods that I can throw together. But I am finding if I buy foods that require cooking, I eat better and make the effort to cook. No choice since the only food I have all has to be cooked. Nibbling on a raw chicken leg is not very appetizing. A raw potato taste better when it is baked. And I am not to keen of munching of raw onions for a snack.

I have been eating for the past two days. I bought and cooked a smoked shoulder. I can get a lot of meals out of that. I have the tomato and pickle all cut up. Spike will pick up a small sub roll for me on his way here tonight. So I am going to make a smoked shoulder with tomato and chopped pickle. I am also going to use the sandwich spread I bought that is made by Hidden Valley. It has Parm cheese along with buttermilk in it and has a nice bite. I am actually looking forward to eating it. :angel:

Addie, I have gagging problems but not to the extent you do. I am sending hugs and prayers.

Thank you LP. Getting old is hard work. I think I am going to stop the process right now. I don't like it. All anyone ever told me was how much fun I could have now that the kids have left home. They lied to me. :angel:

I did it!!!!!

Well it took me awhile, but I finally rejoined the YMCA last Wednesday. I haven't been around to be able to tell you.

I have yet to go there and work out, but that will happen tomorrow. It was a long weekend in BC and I was out walking for long periods all three days. So, today I am just doing gentle stretches to keep things moving and lower my pain levels. If I tried doing pool or treadmill walking, I know I would be in big trouble pain wise.

But it was a big step in the right direction. I really felt comfortable being back there so there is some motivation.

As for my weight, I am back to 220, my heaviest recorded weight. The weekend was hard on me diet-wise as well because we spent a day with TB's parents and they insisted on buying ice cream (even when we said we really can't eat it), then burgers and taking us back to their place for desserts, that, again, we can't have. TB's mom just can't get her head around the fact we can't eat flour/gluten, dairy, soy and eggs. And TB is a lot worse off than me, but I am trying to eat healthy because of my pain and to lose weight. They mean well, I know. We will just have to be more assertive with them.

On the whole, I feel good about this. Tomorrow is the first day I will be devoting time to better my health and appearance. I even have a young Mom at our church who wants to coach/train me and she has experience with many of my physical challenges. I am really excited about that.

And I know I have a cheering section here. :)

LP--if I may suggest, don't get on the scale. Judge whether you have lost weight by how you feel and how your clothes fit. I've been standing "backwards" on the scale when I go for my annual for almost 30 years. Less stress, sweetie.

No offense taken.

I can't eat long spaghetti. It just hangs down my throat. It seem my swallowing muscles have gotten weaker with age. My doctor said this is common in the elderly.

:angel:
Ummm...this was an old dog. The drugs were prescription. And the problem was swallowing. I would still ask the doc if there are new drugs if you have been on the drugs for awhile. I think I might have the pill bottle from the ol' boy that I would have filled at the pharmacy--human drug. Give me a couple of days to find it...

:whistlingWay to go, Chopper!!!! You must feel so much better! And, the change in eating habits seems to have been the right choice for you.

I feel as if this really is a life change for me since I have now done this for six months. I don't feel deprived at all any more. You are right, I feel so much better now. I got rid of all of my size 20 pants, and I am wearing 18s and 16s. I wore some 18s today, and they are so big on me that I need to start getting rid of 18s too! :cool:

I feel as if this really is a life change for me since I have now done this for six months. I don't feel deprived at all any more. You are right, I feel so much better now. I got rid of all of my size 20 pants, and I am wearing 18s and 16s. I wore some 18s today, and they are so big on me that I need to start getting rid of 18s too! :cool:
+1

It is a nice feeling, isn't it? Like you, I don't feel deprived at all.

I gave all my size 14s to a friend who has been dropping sizes--she's on the fence between 16 and 14, but doesn't want to stop there (and who can afford a new wardrobe each size???). Giving her those clothes has given her incentive to continue (not to mention, she has watched me shrink over the last year). Those giant safety pins come in handy when you are dropping sizes but not quite the next size...

Last edited:
+1

It is a nice feeling, isn't it? Like you, I don't feel deprived at all.

I gave all my size 14s to a friend who has been dropping sizes--she's on the fence between 16 and 14, but doesn't want to stop there (and who can afford a new wardrobe each size???). Giving her those clothes has given her incentive to continue (not to mention, she has watched me shrink over the last year). Those giant safety pins come in handy when you are dropping sizes but not quite the next size...

:ROFLMAO: I used the safety pins on a sun dress the other day. :D

Congrats on a job well done to you and also CWS and anyone else who has successfully lost weight. I can get to the point that my tight pants are no longer tight, but not enough to go down to the next size. I am still working on it!

Wow, this is an old thread. I'm glad to see it open though, lol. I think I would like to reread everything myself.
Have lost 13 lbs, thanks to my new found appetite control and energy!!
I have 47 more to go :)
Nice job Chopper!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom