Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have several members who are shedding those extra pounds that come with middle age and having babies. Our newest member to join this thread is CharlieD. And we all give a lot of support to anyone who is fighting the battle of the bulge. Losing weight is a hard job. It went on so easily. And you don't even notice it happening. Not until your doctor tells you that you have some serious health problems that are caused by all that weight you are carrying around. Keep coming back and let us know how you are doing. Losing those thirteen pounds were no easy feat. It takes hard work to lose weight. Good luck. :angel:

Congrats on a job well done to you and also CWS and anyone else who has successfully lost weight. I can get to the point that my tight pants are no longer tight, but not enough to go down to the next size. I am still working on it!
I didn't set out to lose weight, I set out to change my eating habits and maybe gain some energy and perhaps shed a few pounds. It has been over a year. The "new" eating habits are firmly in place and, golly gee, I lost weight, and have more energy.

Just getting back from a long weekend of mom's homemade baked goodies, cold beer & fair food, I ate it all in moderation, but I ate it all. Tomorrow is back to the gym for me. I did get 2 hours on a sit down elliptical type exercise machine while there. Hope I at least maintained.

Very interesting article:
"The obesity era

"As the American people got fatter, so did marmosets, vervet monkeys and mice. The problem may be bigger than any of us"

Here's the link: David Berreby

I celebrated my 15 pound weight loss with a dish of vanilla ice cream. Back to it tomorrow or Friday...:LOL::pig:

I found it very interesting that lab animals with strictly controlled diets weigh more than their earlier counterparts.

I think that's because the animals left to their own resources have to forage for their food, and eat because they are hungry. The lab animals are used to being given the food, so they eat it because it's there. Just like I do. LOL

I think that's because the animals left to their own resources have to forage for their food, and eat because they are hungry. The lab animals are used to being given the food, so they eat it because it's there. Just like I do. LOL
But, the lab animals are getting the same amounts of the same kinds of food and over decades, they are getting heavier.

I don't know about the formulas for the food remaining the same over decades. If the mix in the food has changed, that could be why the animals have gained weight--they aren't processing the food the same, etc. Also, what type of conditions are they in--has the environment changed so that they don't have as much room to move around? If they are getting grains, have those been significantly altered to increase the caloric amount? All sorts of unanswered questions one could raise. We know that humans eat more processed foods that contain more junk.

I don't know about the formulas for the food remaining the same over decades. If the mix in the food has changed, that could be why the animals have gained weight--they aren't processing the food the same, etc. Also, what type of conditions are they in--has the environment changed so that they don't have as much room to move around? If they are getting grains, have those been significantly altered to increase the caloric amount? All sorts of unanswered questions one could raise. We know that humans eat more processed foods that contain more junk.

It seems to me that medical researchers would have taken those questions into consideration.

You are right, some things may have changed. I guess the point I was making was that they were always in a controlled environment where they didn't have to forage, just had their food given to them.

Maybe some of the problem is caused by changes in the grains they are eating and that we are eating. Or other foods. Or the type of lighting.

More evidence that it isn't an individual problem.

Last edited:
Happy to say I only gained 1 Lb over labor day weekend. Aqua chi for 45 mn & water jogging for 15 mn tonight!

I am. And I find it difficult to eat right. First of all I rarely want to eat breakfast. I'm just not hungry. But I stay up late at night and thats when I want to snack.

Back
Top Bottom