Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I fell off the (diet) wagon big time over the weekend so today when I was invited out to lunch I thought "What the hell" and went. I had thick slices of lamb rump cooked perfectly with just a little pinkness, and roasted veg (carrot, sweet potato and parsnips) accompanied by the most gorgeous creamed potatoes, followed by fresh fig tart and cream, And, what's more, I had a glass of wine with it - so there! I probably won't need to eat again today.

Back on the Slimming World plan tomorrow. Class and weigh in on Wednesday.

I fell off the (diet) wagon big time over the weekend so today when I was invited out to lunch I thought "What the hell" and went. I had thick slices of lamb rump cooked perfectly with just a little pinkness, and roasted veg (carrot, sweet potato and parsnips) accompanied by the most gorgeous creamed potatoes, followed by fresh fig tart and cream, And, what's more, I had a glass of wine with it - so there! I probably won't need to eat again today.

Back on the Slimming World plan tomorrow. Class and weigh in on Wednesday.

Every so often you need to treat yourself. You main dish was a balanced nutritional meal. :angel:

Well today was Doctor day!

A1C held steady at 6.3 and his evil scale registered a 10 pound loss, I was sure it would be more like 20!

The slow pace gets discouraging, but I'm still a loser in his book! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Thanks, I think I am finally getting the hang of this eating business after almost 60 years of trying to figure it out! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

It's an evolving process process as you age, different needs for different stages of your life. Unfortunately, my cravings still think I am 20 years old.:ermm:

I personally don't like the word "diet." It suggests that once you lose the weight, you can go back to your old eating habits. I prefer "new eating habits" that will last a lot longer than diet efforts. Change how you eat, and you will keep the weight off. Diet and the weight will come back on after you go back to your old eating habits. Simple. Add more exercise (a pound of fat is about the same as a pound of butter, a pound of muscle is about the size of a golf ball--you can lose fat and gain muscle and still weigh the same, but not wear the same size clothes--hence the reason why I don't weigh myself) and you will feel better and look better.

I personally don't like the word "diet." It suggests that once you lose the weight, you can go back to your old eating habits. I prefer "new eating habits" that will last a lot longer than diet efforts. Change how you eat, and you will keep the weight off. Diet and the weight will come back on after you go back to your old eating habits. Simple. Add more exercise (a pound of fat is about the same as a pound of butter, a pound of muscle is about the size of a golf ball--you can lose fat and gain muscle and still weigh the same, but not wear the same size clothes--hence the reason why I don't weigh myself) and you will feel better and look better.
That's why I like Slimming World. There's nothing faddy about it and there's no-one telling you you'll go to hell if you have a gin and tonic or a slice of toast. It's about re-learning how to eat sensibly and healthily.

And it works - I've played hookey for the last two weeks but I went this evening and way-hay, I've lost 5 pounds! I want to do it slowly and I don't want to part with much more than a pound a week. I don't want to be left with a lot of loose skin after the fat has gone!

I don't exercise as such - I reckon shovelling and carting two wheelbarrows of wet straw and manure (sorry if you're in the middle of your lunch) to the muck heap twice a day and walking half a mile a day to and from the field with the horse means I'm let off the treadmill.

That's why I like Slimming World. There's nothing faddy about it and there's no-one telling you you'll go to hell if you have a gin and tonic or a slice of toast. It's about re-learning how to eat sensibly and healthily.

And it works - I've played hookey for the last two weeks but I went this evening and way-hay, I've lost 5 pounds! I want to do it slowly and I don't want to part with much more than a pound a week. I don't want to be left with a lot of loose skin after the fat has gone!

I don't exercise as such - I reckon shovelling and carting two wheelbarrows of wet straw and manure (sorry if you're in the middle of your lunch) to the muck heap twice a day and walking half a mile a day to and from the field with the horse means I'm let off the treadmill.

I would pay someone to let me live on their farm and be allowed to help with the chores. I can't possibly think of a better way to live. It leaves you with a good healthy tired at the end of the day. Unfortunately, I no longer can stand too long or walk very far. So it takes me twice as long to do just a simple chore right here in my apartment. It doesn't cost anything to dream though. :angel:

Any advice on treadmill? I decide to get one so i can do at least some exercises. Looked on line there hundreds of them. Where do I even start?

Any advice on treadmill? I decide to get one so i can do at least some exercises. Looked on line there hundreds of them. Where do I even start?

Charlie, why not walk around the block?????

I guess I'm just too cheap to spend money until I'm sure I've committed myself to a long term exercise program.

Good luck, whatever route you take!

EFX is a good brand name that stands behind their machines. I have a "octane" brand elliptical, it's a little more economical & works great, it's a little easier on the knees.

Are you anywhere near a riding stables? If you are and you go along and volunteer to help they'll bite your hand off. Mucking out, carting water buckets, filling, carrying and hanging hay nets, sweeping the stable yard, leading the horses in and out to the paddocks - You get the same effect (weight loss and developing muscles) as when you go to the gym but it's free and the horses appreciate the attention.

Are you anywhere near a riding stables? If you are and you go along and volunteer to help they'll bite your hand off. Mucking out, carting water buckets, filling, carrying and hanging hay nets, sweeping the stable yard, leading the horses in and out to the paddocks - You get the same effect (weight loss and developing muscles) as when you go to the gym but it's free and the horses appreciate the attention.

Aaahhhhhh ............. No!
:)

Charlie, why not walk around the block?????

I guess I'm just too cheap to spend money until I'm sure I've committed myself to a long term exercise program.

Good luck, whatever route you take!

sorry when it hits 25 bellow, walking isn't happening.

Charlie I know several folks who have treadmills. They have them set up in an area where they are all alone. No TV, radio or anyone to talk to. So the treadmill just sits there unused.

I don't mean to discourage you, but set it up where you can at least watch television or talk to someone. Or at the very least make sure there is enough room for you to set a book on so you can read while working out on it. It can get very lonely when you are all alone and have nothing to do but walk and look at four walls. The main reason why so many treadmills just sit unused in the corner somewhere and lonely. Sooner or later they end up in a yard sale. Good luck. :angel:

I am on my second treadmill and second elliptical and I do use them as does my husband. They are set up in a gameroom that has a TV and I watch TV while I exercise. I'm gong to be watching TV anyway, why not exercise while I do it? First, decide if you want to run on it or walk on it. If you want to run on it you need a heavy duty one that can take the pounding. If you just want to walk you can get any kind. I suggest going somewhere like Dick's Sporting Goods where you can get on the ones they have set up and try them all out to see what feels right for you. I did not do this with my first elliptical and it was an uncomfortable fit for me and I sold it and bought one I had tried out. Once you decide what kind you want, check on Craigslist in your area and see if anyone has a used one. If not, then buy the one that felt best.

If you are really not sure if you are going to continue to use it, maybe you can get a used one cheap to use until you know this is something you want to do long term before making a bigger investment.

Good luck to you on this!

Last edited:
Not much for losing weight for me this weekend. Way to much good food around, then the movie theater popcorn & candy...argh!!! Back to hitting it hard come tomorrow. : (

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom