Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any advice on treadmill? I decide to get one so i can do at least some exercises. Looked on line there hundreds of them. Where do I even start?
No advice here, CharlieD. I make sure when I go s/where in my car, I park at the far side of the parking lot. If there are stairs, I take the stairs. I also store a lot of stuff in my basement, so am up and down the stairs several times/day. I keep a set of hand weights by the couch and if I'm watching TV, I do some lifts during commercials, ditto for the stretch band. I also picked up a DVD set - Slim in 6 - at the Goodwill and pop that in the DVD player 3x / week. Is there a mall nearby that has morning walks? This is one way to walk without having to deal with the weather.

Charlie, why not walk around the block?????

I guess I'm just too cheap to spend money until I'm sure I've committed myself to a long term exercise program.

Good luck, whatever route you take!

I don't have issues with anyone who does their walking outside. It is actually better for you than the treadmill, because with an electric treadmill, the treadmill is moving you and you are exerting less energy. And walking outside is free. I used to walk outside 20 years ago but for one thing, my health is not as good as it was and I am concerned that something will happen if I am out there walking. If I'm on my treadmill all I have to do is turn it off and stop. Also, my husband is here if something happens. The second concern is that my neighbors are not all good about keeping their dogs on a leash or in a fenced in yard. I love dogs, but not when a strange one is barking and chasing me up the street. Traveling to the park to walk takes time, and I could already be walking on my treadmill for that time period.

Medical ID Carol...I have a key fob USB with all my medical files AND a medical ID pendant. I don't leave home without them. I also walk in a well traveled area by the YMCA.

I like those!! Mine is easy to update, it also has a form/template to fill out. It's the most current info I have and the program is on the USB so it can be used with any computer. And I can keep Shrek on there, too.

Do the EMTs usually have access to a computer "on the scene"?

They do now with EMR (Electronic Medical Records) at least here in Missoula. Tied to both hospitals and the 2 clinics that I use. They are used now to transmit vitals, etc. to the receiving ER's and the Docs on Call.

They do here, too. Having EMR is one of the requirements of the Affordable Care Act and there's funding in the Act to help implement it. In my area, most doctors' offices affiliated with the largest hospital system are connected to it. All my doctors can see all my test results with graphs and all my meds. The system warns of interactions.

You can even have your palm scanned and associated with your account so EMTs can access your records if you are unconscious.

Got to the gym for water aerobics & aqua chi tonight, felt great! I have had 2 bad days of eating this past week, I need to leave those sweets alone!

I was rather miffed this week I was congratulating myself on losing 10lbs in 6 weeks using my scales at home only to be told that the all-singing, all dancing, whizzy, whizzy, Slimming World electronic scales say it's only 8 lbs. Grrr! :glare:

Still not up to full mileage on my 5 miles a week walking challenge. Didn't do any this last week as every time I went up to the stables I needed the car for something else so I haven't got my mile a day in. Will start again on Monday.

Now at 25 pounds lost, I'm starting to get comments. Problem, sciatic pain is curtailing my walking. If it's not one thing it's another.

That is a mean thing to have. Been there, done that. Take care of yourself. :angel:

The pain that goes down my leg is what I can't handle...dull throbbing, makes me nauseous. I have a TENS machine for some pain relief and BioFreeze for bedtime. Not perfect but they help. This pain can't be handled by tylenol or pain meds...darn it! I hate nerve pain.

The pain that goes down my leg is what I can't handle...dull throbbing, makes me nauseous. I have a TENS machine for some pain relief and BioFreeze for bedtime. Not perfect but they help. This pain can't be handled by tylenol or pain meds...darn it! I hate nerve pain.

I have had it on more than once occasion. Twice I had it so severe I couldn't even stand, never mind walk. The first time was right after The Pirate was born at home. Newborn baby and I couldn't even get up to feed him or change him for three days. Only bed rest helped. The second time was in Hawaii. I decided to go for a walk. It lasted five hours. Just made it home. :angel:

Now at 25 pounds lost, I'm starting to get comments. Problem, sciatic pain is curtailing my walking. If it's not one thing it's another.

Oh man, sciatica is the worst. Congrats on the 25 pound loss, though, PF!

And to you too, Mad Chef, for your 8 to 10 pound loss!

Last edited:
I suffered from that for about 6 weeks one year. A friend booked me in to see her massage therapist who also has an MD in acupuncture. I kid you not, 10 minutes after she put the needles in, the pain went away and has not returned (it has been 10 years). If you have access to an acupuncturist, it might be worth a try. Nothing else I did worked. Since it is nerve pain, acupuncture might be the answer.

I have had it on more than once occasion. Twice I had it so severe I couldn't even stand, never mind walk. The first time was right after The Pirate was born at home. Newborn baby and I couldn't even get up to feed him or change him for three days. Only bed rest helped. The second time was in Hawaii. I decided to go for a walk. It lasted five hours. Just made it home. :angel:
I couldn't sit, stand, walk, or drive. It was a brutal six weeks that 10 minutes at the acupuncturist cured.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom