Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The most sensible diet I've seen is the no-flour, no-sugar diet. Eat nothing made with flour (bread, pasta, crackers, cookies, cakes, muffins, etc.) or sugar, including that hidden in labels on processed foods. This almost forces you to eat only whole, homemade foods and gets rid of the empty calories.

That reminds me - I read this recently on Michael Ruhlman's blog:

Cooked Food for Thought (and Speech) | Michael Ruhlman
I follow the no-flour, no-sugar rule most of the time and the eat-protein-in-the-morning/biggest meal in the morning rule. I still get lots of carbs in my fruits and veggies and lots of natural sugar. I do not eat processed food, however, I do use various sauces (srirachi, soy, hoisin, etc.), but no ketchup. I use tomato paste (homemade) or homemade salsa instead of kethcup. That would be the limit re: processed food in my house.

Whenever I watch Rachel, I can't help but notice she almost always uses cheese and almost always uses pasta. I'd like to know the nutritional value of the dishes she prepares...

Cutting out sugar and bread reduces calorie intake. It's that simple ;)

BINGO!

Whatever restrictive diet that you go on, you'll be reducing your calories by a lot. Carbs are very calorie dense so when you cut them out, you are cutting out hundreds of calories per day. When doing very low carb, you suddenly have a lot of calories to fill with less calorie dense foods.

And I'm not saying that carbs don't contribute to weight gain, or insulin issues, they sure an of eaten or drunk in excess.

Different diet and exercise methods work differently for each of us. Like the color of clothes. YOU might look good in yellow, but if I wear it someone is bound to ask me how long I've been dead...:ermm:

smileyvault-slaphead.gif
BUT do you all see what we just did here folks? We took a perfectly fine support thread and turned it into a debate! :huh: Again!! :ohmy: It seems like we're all sniping at each other a lot lately. Winter's been tough on most of us (don't want to hear about your warm weather tinlizzy and Cheryl :LOL: ) and it's probably time we all just relaxed a bit. If we're going to continue this discussion on the merits of varying diets maybe someone should take the initiative to start us a new thread. ;)

Back to the pool today after work. Deep water aerobics then onto aqua chi. I did get an extra 20 mn of swimming in in between classes.

Thanks to all for the wonderful support!!

Way to Go Simon! Swimming is so soothing for both the body and the mind.

RB, congrats on the weight loss - 5 pounds can be a real boost because it shows you can do it! Keep up the good work, you are obviously on the right track.

SB, glad you got your deep water in again. I missed the Y yesterday because of my sciatica, but TB put it in very nice terms. He said "last week you went once (Friday) and so far you have gone once this week so if you go Friday it will be twice and then you can try for three times next week"! It is nice to hear the positive side!

I am doing stretches at home and am still feeling my pants a little loose so that is a good sign. I am still not eating a lot but trying to eat healthy.

The doctor is happy with my weight loss...she is not happy with the anemia...she was surprised to find out they didn't send me home on an iron supplement after the surgery and huge blood loss. I am now on an iron supplement for the first time in my life.

Any way, looks like I need to go out for my walk, I'm too healthy to sit around.

Different diet and exercise methods work differently for each of us. Like the color of clothes. YOU might look good in yellow, but if I wear it someone is bound to ask me how long I've been dead...:ermm:

smileyvault-slaphead.gif
BUT do you all see what we just did here folks? We took a perfectly fine support thread and turned it into a debate! :huh: Again!! :ohmy: It seems like we're all sniping at each other a lot lately. Winter's been tough on most of us (don't want to hear about your warm weather tinlizzy and Cheryl :LOL: ) and it's probably time we all just relaxed a bit. If we're going to continue this discussion on the merits of varying diets maybe someone should take the initiative to start us a new thread. ;)

Way to Go Simon! Swimming is so soothing for both the body and the mind.

You are right, this needs to be an encouragement thread!

Weight loss is such a confusing subject with so many opinions that it just serves to confuse the public, and there is more and more questionable information coming out all the time.

Do what works for you!

I am not looking for a quick fix diet. I just want something to live with, eating healthy, for a long life with a minimum in aches & pains. I am always going to "cheat" with ice-cream, chips & candy, but I believe it's unrealistic to think I can completely live with out these items. They just need to be incorperated into my kind of diet. Although I will continue to exercise daily & eat healthy, most of the time, it's a lifelong thing.

Yes, CG, you're right - this is supposed to be about supporting our buddies. I'm glad to know you're all making progress.

SB, I understand your frustration at not meeting your goals as fast as you'd like; my husband is in the same situation. But you're getting healthier and more fit, and that's important, too :)

Working on the muscle making is not a plateau in weight loss, you are trimming up and building structure now after removing the fat supports. Does that make sense? This is an important step in the process. And I am so stoked that you have made it. You can't kick out all the supports without replacing it with a strong structure...

Yes, CG, you're right - this is supposed to be about supporting our buddies. I'm glad to know you're all making progress.

SB, I understand your frustration at not meeting your goals as fast as you'd like; my husband is in the same situation. But you're getting healthier and more fit, and that's important, too :)

Considering how far she has come, from when she started on this long arduous journey, I think SB is doing great. As long as she continues to stay her course, the scale will start to move again for her. :angel:

Working on the muscle making is not a plateau in weight loss, you are trimming up and building structure now after removing the fat supports. Does that make sense? This is an important step in the process. And I am so stoked that you have made it. You can't kick out all the supports without replacing it with a strong structure...

Just think and remember SB, that the flab that is left behind, is now going to be turned into muscle that can be put to use by exercising. Keep at it and don't get discouraged. You have all of us rooting for you. :angel:

SB, I agree with what everyone else has said about the muscle "plateau". You need to build this up before you can lose more weight. And you WILL lose more weight.

I need a lot of positive thoughts my way regarding going to the pool tomorrow morning. I know that doing the pool walking will not hurt my sciatica or damage anything, and I don't care about a little extra pain. My one and only concern is that I have to drive myself there and back and it is on some busy roads. If I get an intense stab in my side or back while driving, it is not good. But I really don't want to miss either. When I am there I feel on top of the world and that I am making a difference in my health.

Because it is spring break here, I need to get to the pool by 9 at the latest so I am done before 10 when the kids are let in. There is no special lane for walking so I am in the main area with them.

The old adage "eat less calories" just might work if every calorie was treated the same way by our bodies - but they most definitely are not. A calorie is not just a calorie. I hate to see that myth perpetuated. =/

SB, I agree with what everyone else has said about the muscle "plateau". You need to build this up before you can lose more weight. And you WILL lose more weight.

I need a lot of positive thoughts my way regarding going to the pool tomorrow morning. I know that doing the pool walking will not hurt my sciatica or damage anything, and I don't care about a little extra pain. My one and only concern is that I have to drive myself there and back and it is on some busy roads. If I get an intense stab in my side or back while driving, it is not good. But I really don't want to miss either. When I am there I feel on top of the world and that I am making a difference in my health.

Because it is spring break here, I need to get to the pool by 9 at the latest so I am done before 10 when the kids are let in. There is no special lane for walking so I am in the main area with them.

Plain and simple, are you letting the "possibility"of a stab of pain keep you from doing what you know is right? You have to get moving and keep going forward, no more steps back. I love you and I wouldn't tell you this if I didn't. I want to see you getting better, not sliding back. Go to the pool, do your walk. Don't wave it off on a possibility.

For everyone trying to lose weight, I am sorry, I have no advice to give to you. I don't know of this yet.

But I have made a list of those who are trying to lose weight and become healthier, and I pray for all of you.

From what I understand, losing weight is terribly difficult. It seems so many are very brave to face this and to try, and I do congratulate all of you in this endeavour!

Sometimes, from what Mamma told me, it is of genetics, yes? That must be very worse. I believe no one wishes for to be overweight and it is difficult for those who are.

I love you all, and I pray all of you will reach your goals for to be healthy and to feel better. I will support any and all of you in any way I can.

With very much love and support,
~Cat

...Winter's been tough on most of us (don't want to hear about your warm weather tinlizzy and Cheryl :LOL: )....

You rang? Thought I heard my name! :LOL:
Trust me....once summer comes and it's 115F in the shade for what seems like forever, I will no longer be saying how nice it is here. I'll be frying eggs on the sidewalk and wishing I was where many of you are. :)

Back on topic...I have no weight loss advice to share. I just want to add myself to the list of strong supporters you all have. You can do it!! :cool: :flowers:

Gosh darn...since June 2012, I've shrunk from a size 14 to a size 8, sometimes a size 6 just by (1) eating my big meal in the morning, (2) eliminating bread and sugar. I did not add any more exercise. I did not stop drinking wine. All I did was eat a good breakfast and then eat smaller portions/meals the rest of the day. It worked for me. By eating protein in the morning, I also got rid of any cravings during the rest of the day. Now when I want a snack, I grab an apple or other fruit. When I do want something sweet, dates are my go-to. I can hardly wait for summer when I can put on those size 6 capris...

Last edited:
...Cutting out sugar and bread reduces calorie intake. It's that simple ;)

Sugar and white bread are not carbohydrates?
One must also try to understand how I could snack on beef jerky, Slim Jim's, bacon, eggs and the like and still lose weight?
All very high calories snacks, yet I still shed the weight.

RB, congrats on the weight loss - 5 pounds can be a real boost because it shows you can do it! Keep up the good work, you are obviously on the right track.

Thanks. I was not really trying to lose weight, but decided to cut down on my carb intake. I did not realize I was losing any weight until I went to the doctor and they weighed me.
Now, I'm trying! :LOL:

Gosh darn...since June 2012, I've shrunk from a size 14 to a size 8, sometimes a size 6 just by (1) eating my big meal in the morning, (2) eliminating bread and sugar. I did not add any more exercise. I did not stop drinking wine. All I did was eat a good breakfast and then eat smaller portions/meals the rest of the day. It worked for me. By eating protein in the morning, I also got rid of any cravings during the rest of the day. Now when I want a snack, I grab an apple or other fruit. When I do want something sweet, dates are my go-to. I can hardly wait for summer when I can put on those size 6 capris...

This^^^^^^

This is my biggest hurdle. I like to eat late. I never eat breakfast. I have not eaten breakfast in 40 years.
I do eat an early lunch because I am so hungry by 11:30 am. Then I eat dinner around 7:00 pm. Then (not now) I would eat ice cream or other high sugar snak sometimes as late/early as 2:00 am. I am a night person living in a day persons world.

If I could do as you do, I might not ever need to diet. Something I might need to explore even further. Thank you.

Plain and simple, are you letting the "possibility"of a stab of pain keep you from doing what you know is right? You have to get moving and keep going forward, no more steps back. I love you and I wouldn't tell you this if I didn't. I want to see you getting better, not sliding back. Go to the pool, do your walk. Don't wave it off on a possibility.
Thanks, your Ogerness, for the kick in the butt. I love you too and so I didn't even take the time to reply. I just got dressed and drove to the Y. I did my 30 lengths (a few backwards to work on different muscles) and relaxed in the hot tub.

I didn't have any serious jabs on the drive there or back and I have only minor pain now. You nailed it - my fear was outweighing my confidence. So, that was one time last week, two times this week....can we say three next week? :)

Back
Top Bottom