Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How much iron do you suppose you get in brown sugar? I looked it up. 1 tsp (~3 grams) gives you 0.02 mg of iron. In 100 grams of brown sugar, you get 0.71 mg.

Sure, you can get more than a day's worth of iron (8 mg/day for adult males and women over 51, 18 mg/day for women 18-50) from a cup of molasses (15.91 mg of iron), but that's a whole cup.

Show Nutrients List
I think you have misunderstood me. I am not saying eat brown sugar to get your iron intake, but that it DOES have some nutritional advantage over white sugar, however marginal that might be. That's all.

Actually, brown sugar is white sugar with molasses added to it, so it's more processed than white sugar.
More processed? By adding back some of its original content I do not regard that as an additional processing method - more like one of redemption! Both white sugar and brown sugar are bleached but at least brown sugar is rendered more natural by adding back some of the molasses it was originally deprived of.

Last edited:
More processed? By adding back some of its original content I do not regard that as an additional processing method - more like one of redemption! Both white sugar and brown sugar are bleached but at least brown sugar is rendered more natural by adding back some of the molasses it was originally deprived of.

Processed means doing something to it. You can make up your own definitions if you want; that doesn't make them fact.

And sugar is not bleached, at least not in the United States.

"Pure sugar crystals are naturally colorless. No artificial bleaching or whitening is necessary. Molasses, which is naturally present in sugar beet and sugar cane and gives brown sugar its color, is removed from the sugar crystal with water and centrifuging. Carbon filters absorb any remaining colored plant materials."

www.sugar.org

Last edited:
So for those who are trying to lose weight, I just got back from Winthrop and have dropped one more pound. Yea! 121# today. My goal is 115 pounds. And I started at 160+#'s. Today I have on slacks that last year at this time it was way too small for me. But the down side is that I really need a whole new wardroom. Time to look for a sugar daddy to buy me a trunk full of new clothes. :angel:

This is a support thread and I stand fully behind you with any decision you make on how you want to handle your weight loss. Do what is right for you!
Exactly. When I switched eating my big meal to the a.m. ... four years ago? or was it five? Well, I did that to gain energy. I went from a size 14 to a size 6/8 (with help from a friend who is a tailor--he makes my clothes fit me). On the bottom, I am a 6/8. On the top I am a small or medium. Was it hard? No. I just dropped sugar and bread/pasta from my diet. Easy-peasy.

Exactly. When I switched eating my big meal to the a.m. ... four years ago? or was it five? Well, I did that to gain energy. I went from a size 14 to a size 6/8 (with help from a friend who is a tailor--he makes my clothes fit me). On the bottom, I am a 6/8. On the top I am a small or medium. Was it hard? No. I just dropped sugar and bread/pasta from my diet. Easy-peasy.

I did carb and (mostly) sugar free for about two and a half weeks and went from size 34 (snug) to size 32 (just a bit of room). I didn't lose much weight during this time, but my stomach, as a coworker put it, "looked deflated." I sure felt a heck of a lot better too.

Funny thing was, I decided to have some pasta with sauteed zucchini and broccoli and a normal sized plate of the stuff gave me a stomachache, headache and made me feel a little intoxicated. Repeated results the next day when I had the remainder for lunch at work.

I've spent the last few months immersing myself in some of the newer information regarding health and weight loss. I've seen the following results since:

8 pounds lost (215-207) in 7 days by eliminating coffee. I was drinking it loaded with milk and HFCS sweetener. Later found out that not only does the sugar have an insulinemic effect, the milk does as well.

22 pounds lost (207-185) through ketogenic fasting over around 5 weeks.

11 pounds gained back (185-196) through stressful semester at school (physics and intro to circuitry) and discontinued diet/fasting.

Adoption of cold exposure and EGCg (decaffeinated green tea extract) supplementation has actually hindered my attempts to gain 4 more pounds and get to an even 200 before starting my new body recomposition experiment. I've been eating like a slob, including carbs and sugary stuff and I have been stuck at 196. If I were to eliminate the supplements and cold exposure, I could probably put it back on no problem, but I'll just take this as a good sign going in to this experiment.

I am holding at 122 lbs. And I feel comfortable. I use a small salad plate for my meals. And if the food requires a bowl, I use a small dessert bowl. I still have the set of spoons I used for my kids when they were learning to feed themselves. The spoons have a small bowl and I take smaller mouthfuls using the spoons. So by using smaller eating utensils, I have smaller helpings and eat less, yet my plate looks full every time I eat. The bowl of the spoons is about the size of a long ice tea spoon.

I didn't set out to deliberately eat this way. It is just the dishes I find easiest to reach. But I really think it has been the main contribution to my weight loss. :angel:

I've lost 10 pounds in 8 weeks. 139# down to 129#. Still have a few more pounds to go before I can fit into some clothes I have. Doing this darn low carbohydrate diet.

It's that dang plateau. Everybody's nemesis. But it does pass. Congrats! :angel:

Not with me, my loss has been steady, without the "fade" diets some have been bantering about lately.:ohmy: I eat what I want, just less of it.

Last edited:
I am back on the healthy eating wagon, again.....
We discontinued our cafe & catering business at the end of 2015.
I am now working as a "Butcher" at a local grocery store in town.
It feels a little strange being out of foodservice as that is most all I have done for the past 35 years.
I' m looking for healthy options for boxed lunches, any good ideas out there?

I am back on the healthy eating wagon, again.....
We discontinued our cafe & catering business at the end of 2015.
I am now working as a "Butcher" at a local grocery store in town.
It feels a little strange being out of foodservice as that is most all I have done for the past 35 years.
I' m looking for healthy options for boxed lunches, any good ideas out there?

There you are, Simonbaker! So good to see you again! So sorry to hear about your business.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom