Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am back on the healthy eating wagon, again.....
We discontinued our cafe & catering business at the end of 2015.
I am now working as a "Butcher" at a local grocery store in town.
It feels a little strange being out of foodservice as that is most all I have done for the past 35 years.
I' m looking for healthy options for boxed lunches, any good ideas out there?

Good to see ya!!!

If the boxed lunches are for you, I would say that the most important thing is to have a plan.

A grocery store can be a very dangerous place when you are having a hectic day and the Oreo cookies are just an aisle away! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

How about:

Bag salad and a slice of meat or cheese from the deli.

Yogurt or cottage cheese from the dairy case and an apple from the produce department.

A roll from the bakery and back to the deli for the slice of meat or cheese.

If you have a break room with a microwave head for the soup aisle or the frozen food case and grab a single serving item.

Good luck!!!

Last edited:
I am back on the healthy eating wagon, again.....
We discontinued our cafe & catering business at the end of 2015.
I am now working as a "Butcher" at a local grocery store in town.
It feels a little strange being out of foodservice as that is most all I have done for the past 35 years.
I' m looking for healthy options for boxed lunches, any good ideas out there?

I am so glad to see you again. I have been thinking about you for the past week. How is your daughter doing? Tough having a grown teenager. Yet it is a time to treasure. A time for mother and daughter to both watch her grow into a young woman.

How much of the weight you lost before have you been able to keep off? I lost 40 pounds last year and am holding it. I would like to lose about ten or fifteen more, but my health team tells me I am not 20 y.o. anymore. According to the latest health charts from the insurance companies, I should be 97 pounds. I would settle for 105/110. I was quite shocked when I found I could cross my legs. And I can now feel my hip bones. How did I do it? It wasn't really intentional.

As I am getting older and less active, I have a smaller appetite. So I use a salad plate, thus small helpings. Portion control. You did it before, I know you can do it again. You will always have me in your corner. :angel:

Addie, you must be 4 foot 5 inches tall for any weight chart to tell you that you should weigh 97 pounds.

I am so glad to see you again. I have been thinking about you for the past week. How is your daughter doing? Tough having a grown teenager. Yet it is a time to treasure. A time for mother and daughter to both watch her grow into a young woman.

How much of the weight you lost before have you been able to keep off? I lost 40 pounds last year and am holding it. I would like to lose about ten or fifteen more, but my health team tells me I am not 20 y.o. anymore. According to the latest health charts from the insurance companies, I should be 97 pounds. I would settle for 105/110. I was quite shocked when I found I could cross my legs. And I can now feel my hip bones. How did I do it? It wasn't really intentional.

As I am getting older and less active, I have a smaller appetite. So I use a salad plate, thus small helpings. Portion control. You did it before, I know you can do it again. You will always have me in your corner. :angel:

I have been able to keep off 65# but gained back 35#, I just got back from the gym with my daughter (17) her first time there. Hoping to keep her going with me, it's great incentive for both of us. She isn't terribly overweight but could use some toning. Those darn donuts in the bakery at work need to come to a stop during my break & I also need ro cut out the soda pop, again.
Thank you for the tips Aunt Bea I will definitely use them.
It's trying to get used to taking breaks every 4 hours I have to take 15 mn & after 6 hours, I have to take an hour (unpaid). Most shifts are 12 hours: 45 hours a week. Working on trying to incorporate more protein into my diet, a daily challenge. Thanks again for all of the support!
Quitting the business was bittersweet. DH is continuing to do some catering & getting the paperwork caught up.
Hope all is well with your daughter Addie!:angel::angel::angel:

Hi, I'm a type 2 diabetic who has lost over 30 lbs and gotten off diabetes meds through watching what I eat and exercising. Does anyone belong to MyFitnessPal? I use the calorie counter on that site. I'm looking to step things up and start cooking healthier meals at home. Which is what brings me back to this site.

Hi, I'm a type 2 diabetic who has lost over 30 lbs and gotten off diabetes meds through watching what I eat and exercising. Does anyone belong to MyFitnessPal? I use the calorie counter on that site. I'm looking to step things up and start cooking healthier meals at home. Which is what brings me back to this site.

I just started today on my fitness pal. Thank goodness I exercised today to absorb the way to many calories I had.

Yeah, exercising is a good way to increase your calorie allowance for the day. Especially running.

My knees are shot, the only way I run is jogging in deep water.To many years on cement kitchen floors...

I recommend that you check out Diabetic Cooking - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

And this thread, people have had some excellent results: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f12/low-carbing-with-the-keto-team-92360.html

Last edited:
Hey, everyone! I haven't checked in here for awhile.

I gained a lot of weight in the last part of 2015 because my leg was acting up and I was not very mobile. When pain levels are bad I tend to eat comfort foods (easy prep) and when I am alone, it is a lot of junk food.

However, thanks to the flu, which I have had in varying degrees over the past several weeks, I have lost 7 pounds and cracked the 240 level once again. I am trying very hard to not get up there again.

I can start using the exercise bike slowly again so that will help. I just have to watch the knee. I have a CT scan set for Feb 16 so we will see after that if another surgery is needed. I really hope not. Every time I have a setback with one part of my health it affects the rest.

I am eating much better again, starting the day out with a green shake and eating small amounts more often. If the flu stays away I should be back on track!

Hey, everyone! I haven't checked in here for awhile.

I gained a lot of weight in the last part of 2015 because my leg was acting up and I was not very mobile. When pain levels are bad I tend to eat comfort foods (easy prep) and when I am alone, it is a lot of junk food.

However, thanks to the flu, which I have had in varying degrees over the past several weeks, I have lost 7 pounds and cracked the 240 level once again. I am trying very hard to not get up there again.

I can start using the exercise bike slowly again so that will help. I just have to watch the knee. I have a CT scan set for Feb 16 so we will see after that if another surgery is needed. I really hope not. Every time I have a setback with one part of my health it affects the rest.

I am eating much better again, starting the day out with a green shake and eating small amounts more often. If the flu stays away I should be back on track!

Keep up the good effort SimonBaker. Like I said before, I am in your corner. Seventeen all ready? I remember you celebrating her 14th birthday. She is at the age now that the two of you can do a lot of activities together. She is now a young lady.

My daughter has been in remission for quite some time now. She goes for an MRI every three months to check on the tumor. The cancer is gone, but there was still a small piece of the tumor left. There is no way they can remove it without cutting out some of the brain. The tumor, on its own is slowly shrinking. All that is left is a small piece no bigger than her pinky fingernail.

Spike has still continues to be a tremendous help to me. My daughter finally gets well and my middle son Pirate becomes disabled. He applied for Social Security Disability and was approved in less than two months. Unheard of! Everyone I have ever known who applied was always denied and had to put in an appeal. Only then are they approved.

So this past week has been a really good week for both of us. He will be getting enough to find his own apartment and be able to support himself. Nothing but good news every day for him.

The bad part all these months was he could never get a straight answer from any of the doctors that he was sent to. It was Social Security that told him what they saw in his medical records that decided on such a quick and decisive decision. One of his doctors called him on my phone one day. He wasn't home. He was actually at another doctor's office. She continued to give me information about what was wrong with him. Personal information that should have been shared only with the patient. Even though I am him mother, she was in violation of patient confidentiality. What if he didn't want me to know? What if it had been a girlfriend posing as me? Pirate reported her to her supervising doctor of the clinic. She was taken off his case immediately.

It feels good to report good news all around. :angel:

Just back from my six month checkup, I'm down another 12 pounds. Two pounds a month ain't much but I'm happy that I made it through the fall/winter/holiday season with some progress.

Over the next six months he wants me to swap the low carb diet for the traditional exchange diet. The idea being to concentrate on a more balanced diet with a focus on portion control. I told him I would give it a try and see how it goes. When I followed the exchange diet before I was always experiencing hunger and uncontrollable cravings.

I think the phrase focus on portion control is doctorspeak for put down the fork and lose two pounds a week! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Just back from my six month checkup, I'm down another 12 pounds. Two pounds a month ain't much but I'm happy that I made it through the fall/winter/holiday season with some progress.

Over the next six months he wants me to swap the low carb diet for the traditional exchange diet. The idea being to concentrate on a more balanced diet with a focus on portion control. I told him I would give it a try and see how it goes. When I followed the exchange diet before I was always experiencing hunger and uncontrollable cravings.

I think the phrase focus on portion control is doctorspeak for put down the fork and lose two pounds a week! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

That's great news, Aunt Bea!

I'm dubious of exchange diets myself. I get a kick out of how doctors seem to think low carb diets are something new and controversial, when in reality they've been around since the 1800's in one form or another, and have a good overall track record.

This morning the scale said I've lost 24 pounds. I think I'm close to an equilibrium point with my current dietary routine. The mini changes I've made have gotten me to this point. I'm not sure they will take me any farther. I have been fluctuating up and down a pound or so each weigh-in.

Not sure I'm ready for more drastic measures.

I'm dubious of exchange diets myself. I get a kick out of how doctors seem to think low carb diets are something new and controversial, when in reality they've been around since the 1800's in one form or another, and have a good overall track record.

Dieting is not my doctor's strong suit, he is one of those fellas that weighs the same today that he did in college and is able to eat anything he likes without gaining an ounce.

I'll give it a try by adding a couple servings of carbs a day. It would actually be kind of nice to add a fruit or starch if I can do it without going overboard! :pig:

This morning the scale said I've lost 24 pounds. I think I'm close to an equilibrium point with my current dietary routine. The mini changes I've made have gotten me to this point. I'm not sure they will take me any farther. I have been fluctuating up and down a pound or so each weigh-in.

Not sure I'm ready for more drastic measures.

24 pounds is great! :clap:

The big thing is to maintain, when it feels right for you go to the next step.

Small changes can make a big difference when you are ready for the next step. Look at the things you do everyday and bargain with yourself over what to keep and what to let go. It sounds kind of hokey but salad dressing on the side, no butter on the toast, no mayo on the sandwich, every other burger without a bun, no more than 10 french fries at a meal, all help to cut another 250 calories per day out of your routine and that is enough to lose two pounds a month.

Good luck!

Good job everyone! I'm not trying to lose weight but since I starting doing every-other-weekend, overnight backpacking trips in my local mountains here I've lost a couple of inches around the waist.

Since the 1800s? Actually, they were the traditional diet of many indigenous people.

I have Sámi ancestors. Carl Linnaeus spent a year in Sápmi (Lappland) in 1732. This is what he had to say about their diet,

“A Northern Lapp [Lapp was the word used for Sámis back then, please don't use it. It's offensive] lives only of meat, fish and poultry and hence becomes small, thin, light, nimble. A farmer, however, in Sweden’s southern provinces of the Skåne plains, eating peas, very much buckwheat porridge, and whose diet consists mostly of vegetable flour dishes, becomes tall, well built, stiff, strong and then heavy [meaning overweight/obese] ”

“The Northern Lapp does not eat bread but is an example of good health. I saw old men about 60 years of age running around in the mountains like children, even able to put their foot on their necks. My conclusion is that it is because the absence of bread. Everyone eating bread has an obstructed stomach.”

Since the 1800s? Actually, they were the traditional diet of many indigenous people...

I'm not so sure about that. Maybe in the far northern latitudes, where wheat, rice, barley, buckwheat, millet, potatoes, etc., don't grow well, but the diet of most of the ancient agricultural societies was based on some sort of grain.

Dieting is not my doctor's strong suit, he is one of those fellas that weighs the same today that he did in college and is able to eat anything he likes without gaining an ounce.

I'll give it a try by adding a couple servings of carbs a day. It would actually be kind of nice to add a fruit or starch if I can do it without going overboard!
:pig:

I agree it would be very nice if I could do that too, but I find that even a taste of something like that puts me in a serious craving mode similar to an alcoholic never being able to drink again. So far I've lost 40 lbs on under fifty carbs a day, sometimes half of that, in the last seven months. I know I could have done better with more exercise though. I see to it that my Souschef gets his carbs with my low carb dinners, but even at that, he's lost 11 lbs, and he's happy too.

Back
Top Bottom