Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't keep any chocolate,sweets, chips etc in the house as I know I'll just eat all of it (I work from home as well which doesn't help) - and I'll be doing so well BUT then DH will come home with eg a slice of cheesecake because he feels like cheesecake of which he'll then have 2 forkfuls and guess who eats the rest ?

Hi Babe,
You`re beginning to worry me! I notice, from message 14, that you are 70 years old - so losing 6 pounds in a week is not healthy, or MAY NOT be healthy at your age. You say you`ve not felt very well - how long have you felt unwell?

I could tell you all the accepted wisdom - as we age we need to eat less or small meals 4/5 or 5/6 times a day are better than 2/3. However, I`m not going to - I would suggest that you speak with your Doctor (in the UK we call them a GP or General Practioner) and tell him/her that you have lost 6 pounds in a week and appear to have lost your appetite. Please, contact your doctor and have a chat with him/her.

All the best,
Archiduc :kiss:

oh thank you so much for your concern. the appetite seems to be back. or at least partly back. not to concerned that the six pounds seems like a lot very quickly. i seem to put it back on, just as quickly.

i have been eating little bits all day long and that seems to work.

really do need to lose about forty pounds. last summer i had a broken foot. the morphine i was given for pain really killed my appetite. i lost seventeen pounds in six weeks. gained most of it back.

you are very kind to warn me of dangers.

babe

DW is down about 2lbs, I am down about 4lbs. Neither of us have been eating as much lately, and eating a lot more salads. In fact, a lot of the time she has to push me to make supper for everyone as her and the kids are hungry and I am not.

I'm down 5 lbs.,but I'm afraid to get on the scale now, the last few days I really blew my diet, daughters softball team made semi-finals so the team and parents all stopped to eat out on the way home from the last 2 games. We ordered bulk so I had to eat pizza and chicken wings. Oh well back to being strict this week, unless of corse they win tonight then they go to finals and I'm sure we'll all go out again.

Good to see you Mikki!
The battery ran out on our scale and I haven't remembered to get a new one.
That's probably good, I don't think I'l be happy once I replace it.

I went to the docs and he said that I am borderline for having hypothyroid. Might explain a lot. DH and I are going to start using the gym in our club house. ...t's free for residents, all you have to do is pay $2.50 for the IDs. We shall see what happens. I don't want to be on meds for the rest of my life,

Hello all,.... i just joined this forum....and i am also one of you .... who is determined to loose weight.... but just cant give up on my favorite calorie food... :(
I started it from June 2nd when i realized i gained 4pounds instead of loosing...so now almost daily i am trying to hit the gym for atleast 30min....and having one sandwitch for lunch with carrots & cellery as snack or watermelon .... and at night also i am trying to eat less.... because rice is our primary food....but i don't know what else i can prepare that is less in calories and at the same time is economical..
plz do suggest me some more ideas for making healthy food...and loose weight. I want to loose 5 pounds in this month. Will i be able to????
help me out plz....

Hello all,.... i just joined this forum....and i am also one of you .... who is determined to loose weight.... but just cant give up on my favorite calorie food... :(
I started it from June 2nd when i realized i gained 4pounds instead of loosing...so now almost daily i am trying to hit the gym for atleast 30min....and having one sandwitch for lunch with carrots & cellery as snack or watermelon .... and at night also i am trying to eat less.... because rice is our primary food....but i don't know what else i can prepare that is less in calories and at the same time is economical..
plz do suggest me some more ideas for making healthy food...and loose weight. I want to loose 5 pounds in this month. Will i be able to????
help me out plz....

You might try brown rice and other whole grains like barley, quinoa, oats, etc. White rice is not blood sugar friendly. You can introduce other grains a little at a time so the change isn't as drastic. I tend to prefer the whole grains, but many people need to work up to it. Also watch the sodium, which I finds affects me in several ways. Are you getting enough protein? Eggs and tuna are good, affordable protein, and you can do so much with them!

I have been trying to make wiser choices, loosely following Weight Watcher's Core ideals. No cheese and no nuts is very difficult, and I think they're both quite healthy in controlled moderation, so *if* I have something, I just make sure to consider what these core foods would be in points if I were counting points. I hate the counting you see, can't be bothered. But trying to be mindful of the choices I make. Sooner or later that darned scale has got to move ... or does it? Lots of fresh fruits and vegies as you can afford to work them into your diet. I buy what's on sale, period.

Gosh I hope I see more results soon. I need more exercise!

Well I haven't lost anymore since last post so today I decided that I'm going to start walking when I get home from work. Hopefully I'll stay awake and not get hit by a car.

I'm gonna bump this thread. I'm on my new cardio diet which isn't too bad but I also have to make the treadmill my new best friend. (I could do different exercise but this will work best in my life right now.) Well, I didn't think I was in bad shape but man, my butt and thighs are sore!!!! This will go away, right? I do a lot of manual labor with my arms and I guess I didn't realize how much I had neglected the lower half. I noticed a lot of you jog and walk so any tips for me? (I already figured out not to use a treadmill barefoot.)

Hiking on a treadmill is the best work out. Crank up the incline and walk at a decent pace and you will burn burn burn!!

And yes, once you start working your lower body more often the soreness will go.

I was thinking about this thread this morning, thanks for reminding me FM!

I've been lingering around 165 for a while now. Months actually. We've been, not dieting, but eating less of better food. Don't get me wrong, before this we ate really healthy but we never thought about the calories adding up.

Lately it's been a large side salad with some sort of grilled protien. Mainly chicken, pork(lean) and fish, in that order. We also have been eating all sorts of rice. I have so much more energy now and this morning I weighed in at 160 on the button. My jeans even fit normally.

The DW uses the treadmill alot. I like it because it helps get my breathing and stamina back from smoking. But my knees are screwed up so I can only do so much. We go down to the school and hit tennis balls against the brick wall. I like doing that because it's fun and it doesn't seem like you're just exercising. We tried regular tennis but that was horrible. We need alot more practice.

My kids broke the elliptical, which with all the rain really sucks.
So far a steady 2 lbs a week.
Eat less, move more, lay off the chips. (most days :) )

Hiking on a treadmill is the best work out. Crank up the incline and walk at a decent pace and you will burn burn burn!!

And yes, once you start working your lower body more often the soreness will go.
Thanks, Red. Hey, you'll be walking the hills of San Francisco soon, right? You'll have buns of steel! (I'll be satisfied with white bread buns - right now they are dough.:()

I was thinking about this thread this morning, thanks for reminding me FM!

I've been lingering around 165 for a while now. Months actually. We've been, not dieting, but eating less of better food. Don't get me wrong, before this we ate really healthy but we never thought about the calories adding up.

Lately it's been a large side salad with some sort of grilled protien. Mainly chicken, pork(lean) and fish, in that order. We also have been eating all sorts of rice. I have so much more energy now and this morning I weighed in at 160 on the button. My jeans even fit normally.

The DW uses the treadmill alot. I like it because it helps get my breathing and stamina back from smoking. But my knees are screwed up so I can only do so much. We go down to the school and hit tennis balls against the brick wall. I like doing that because it's fun and it doesn't seem like you're just exercising. We tried regular tennis but that was horrible. We need alot more practice.
Wow, that's great Jeekinz. You lost 5 pounds without counting calories!!! How about DW? Is it working for her, too?

And have you quit smoking or are you trying to? That's really hard to do without gaining weight. And bad knees to boot. (Is that from injuries on your bikes?)

Shock

I have been going to aerobic classes faithfully since September of last year. This lady who is in my class told all of us she lost 114lbs. No diet, just exercise, cutting out sodas and sweets, and walking 9.3 miles per day except on weekend and when it rains. I just can't believe this, I still am shocked. That is almost whole person. She said her doctor has cut her pills from 8 per day to 3. Everything has improved. This gal is not young, 64 years and she can walk this much? Since she has a doctor involved I don't worry about if it is too much, too fast, he would tell her if it was don't you think? She is so happy and looks 10 years younger. Her hair has grown in fuller, her skin is not droopy and her clothes fit her not baggy as before. If ever it was inspiration to lose she sure is. I called her the loser of the class because she has lost more than any of us. I don't know how the others feel but I cannot stop praising her enough. I just want her to know that I am happy for her. Geez, that is determination!

Wow, that's great Jeekinz. You lost 5 pounds without counting calories!!! How about DW? Is it working for her, too?

And have you quit smoking or are you trying to? That's really hard to do without gaining weight. And bad knees to boot. (Is that from injuries on your bikes?)

Thanks FM. ;)

It's a little tougher for the DW, and I try to accomodate that as much as possible.

Yes, we both quit smoking. For me it was Nov. 07, for the DW it was late Dec. I smoked a pack a day since I was 15 or 16 years old. I am totaly over the cigs. 110%! Yes, the bad knees are from the bikes. I have to wear high tech knee braces whenever I ride, or jog, or do any kind of activity where there's lateral movement on my legs.

The hard part for me is that I love to cook and try different flavors. Trying to balance the joy of cooking/experience and counting calories is frickin tough! I'm pretty much happy physically with myself now (all things considered) but I could easily slip off track because of my tastes for foods.:angel:

Back
Top Bottom