Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks, hard to believe that it sept. the doctors and family were urging me to eat, because i had lost twenty pounds while ill. guess i took them to literally, lol

my hardest time is at night from about 9 pm on. i find myself eating stuff i don't need and i am not really hungry. some of it may be medications. the rest is just lousy impulse control. at two in a.m. woke up and had a bunch of chocolate covered raisins. these are leftovers from christmas baking. maybe it won't be so hard if i just don't have that kind of stuff in the pantry. :ohmy::ohmy:

my hardest time is at night from about 9 pm on. i find myself eating stuff i don't need and i am not really hungry. some of it may be medications. the rest is just lousy impulse control. at two in a.m. woke up and had a bunch of chocolate covered raisins. these are leftovers from christmas baking. maybe it won't be so hard if i just don't have that kind of stuff in the pantry. :ohmy::ohmy:

I noticed with snacking in the evening that I would crave something about the same time as I had something yesterday. Once I noticed that, I just told myself that was why I was craving, and skipped the snack. After a couple of days, I no longer have the craving, and get back to not snacking again.

BTW, a bowl of Nuts & Bolts (Alix's recipe) Party Mix will satisfy you instead of a meal sometimes. If I have breakfast, and it's time for lunch (I usually have a sandwich) but I'm not very hungry, I eat some of this instead. You'd be surprised how satisfying it is and you don't need much.

Night time isn't my hard time, but coming home right after work was, and still is sometimes. One thing I do is to brush and floss my teeth or chew gum. It might help you too.

Night time isn't my hard time, but coming home right after work was, and still is sometimes. One thing I do is to brush and floss my teeth or chew gum. It might help you too.

Right after work is when I always started dinner. As long as I was cooking, I could wait until it was done.

I most humbly beg your pardon my liege. May Your Ogreness reign forever! Who sprinkles rose petals in front of you when you walk?

:ROFLMAO:Rose thorns, maybe!:ROFLMAO:

There is a large contigent of people walking and a walk-in clinic (run by the hospital I use) right there in the mall if I feel off.

Last edited:
I usually eat a couple big meals per day, and I don't snack too much. I know that's supposed to be bad for your metabolism, but it seems like if I snack, I'm just as hungry at mealtime, and then I eat just as much!! I am a really slow eater- my bf usually sits and watches me finish dinner when he is done, so it's not like I'm wolfing down food before it has time to register that I'm full. Weren't they working on some sort of pill that expands and fills up your stomach before you eat dinner? I think I need that lol.

I usually eat a couple big meals per day, and I don't snack too much. I know that's supposed to be bad for your metabolism, but it seems like if I snack, I'm just as hungry at mealtime, and then I eat just as much!! I am a really slow eater- my bf usually sits and watches me finish dinner when he is done, so it's not like I'm wolfing down food before it has time to register that I'm full. Weren't they working on some sort of pill that expands and fills up your stomach before you eat dinner? I think I need that lol.

Back in my working days I was responsible for the inventory at our Puerto Rico plant. I noticed that the people there were all so trim and fit looking, so I asked about it.

She said that they eat their largest meal of the day at lunchtime, with only a small dinner meal. It does make sense. You have time and exercise to work off a big lunch.:LOL:

I was just diagnosed with pre-diabetes--some folks say pre-diabetes is like being 'a little bit pregnant--and I don't want to get any worse! I am low-carbing, with lots of low carb veggies, meat, and very little grain. No sugar, but that is not a hardship to me.

I have been testing my blood sugar regularly and have reduced my fasting levels to normal! Yay, me!!! And I have lost 12 pounds since the first of December--double Yay!!

I do get a jump if I eat, for example, a sandwich, so I am trying hard to avoid the grains, even the 'good' ones. I fill up on broccoli or salad or protein, instead. And, it is very odd, but I am absolutely not hungry between meals, and I have very few cravings.

Anybody else low-carbing?

I have to eat low carb too, because of insulin resistance... It's hard because although I don't have much of a sweet tooth, I love pasta and bread. Must be the Italian in me.

My hand is already raised up in the air, but losing weight is not that easy. I have gained about 50 pounds during my pregnancy and now I have to lose all of this weight. The nights without sleep, the work around the house and watching the baby all the time didn't do the trick yet. I am seriously thinking about a diet, but don't know which one is the healthier and the most appropriate for my lifestyle. Please help me with some advices!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am on one of my weight loss jaunts at the moment. Quitting smoking and Christmas really didn't do my figure much good. I have simply lowered my carb intake and slightly increased my exercise. This has always worked for me. I am losing about 3lbs a week which suits me just fine. Good luck to all who are getting trim!

I have heard about a ridiculous diet with soup, fiber bars and boiled apples. It's supposedly a wonder diet that will help you lose about 22 pounds. It doesn't seem very healthy and I don't know if I should try it. What do you think?

Those ridiculous diets don't work. Even if you do manage to lose weight, is it really something you are going to do for the rest of your life? If not, you're just going to gain it all back.

I started Weight Watchers at the beginning of the year and it's working great for me...I've already lost a little over 20 pounds eating normal foods and making good choices.

Those ridiculous diets don't work. Even if you do manage to lose weight, is it really something you are going to do for the rest of your life? If not, you're just going to gain it all back.

I started Weight Watchers at the beginning of the year and it's working great for me...I've already lost a little over 20 pounds eating normal foods and making good choices.

I agree! Don't count on a quick fix that you cannot continue for the rest of your life. It has to be just that...a lifestyle change.

I have heard of this program, but never actually imagined how it is to have someone that watches over your weight and diet. Can you tell us more about what this program requires and what changes brought for you?

I've dropped 55 lbs. in 90 days - low carbs, low sugar, small to medium portion control (no seconds) and walking.

Basically, sensible food choices; fresh fruits for dessert, non-fat snacks (nuts, dried fruit, pork rinds, sugar-free ice cream bars, etc.), the main meal of the day around noon (a hamburger without the bun, baked chicken in place of fried - all fried food is a no-no, in a short time you won't miss it!), with only a light meal in the evening (salad, cheese & fruit, 1/2 portion of leftovers.)

Learning what is fattening and what is low fat and fat free is just a matter of a little reading and study (it's not hard), so educating yourself is the best thing you can do and may even save your health.

I'm using the online program. I don't go to meetings and no one "watches over my diet or weight". The program gives you a certain number of daily points based upon your age, height and weight. As your weight decreases, so do the amount of daily points you get. Everyone is also given 49 weekly points to use if you chose whenever you want during that week (they don't carry over). You can also get activity points depending upon the duration and and intensity of the activity. You are encouraged to get at least 30 minutes of activity everyday.

All foods are given a point value. Fruits and most vegetables are free (in moderation) to encourage people to eat more of those. There is a recipe builder where you can plug in your own recipes and serving size and it will give you a point value for that recipe per serving. The recipe builder as well as the points calculator calculates the number of points based upon the nutritional value of the recipe/food (total fat, carbs, protein and fiber). You can eat whatever you want but when you are out of points, you are out of points. It is a very forgiving program...unlike other programs...if you "fall off the wagon", you have weekly points to fall back on and if that is not enough, you can just put in some more time exercising...or...if you really "fall off the wagon", just call it a day and start anew :LOL:.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom