Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While I admit that I'm NOT trying to lose weight(I'm quite small actually), I AM on a "quest" to eat healthier...(stupid gallstones -ugh). Good news is that I have nearly eradicated myself of those dreaded stones, &, I have thus found out gobs of interesting info about the crap that I USED to eat. EVOO is now my best friend, &, butter/margarine shall never again cross my lips. I now READ ingredients, &, steer far clear from things that are processed & contain high fruitcose corn syrup/corn syrup...(do you have ANY idea as to how many products that actually contain this yucky ingredient??? - it's SHOCKING!!) I now boycott white breads in favor of 100% whole wheat products...my mayo now is the olive oil, less calorie mayo (side note - my family members also love this stuff...doubt that I will ever buy reg. mayo. ever again). I also "splurged" on these series of books(now my food bibles) by David Ziinczenko called "Eat This, Not That"(I have 6 of these now)...My grocery shopping list is now quite different that lists of my past...I now buy 75% of fresh veggies, followed by about 10% dairy(the healther kind), then, use the remaining 15% reserved onto my whole grains - MINUS the HFCS junk...
I eat more oftenly, I have gobs more energy, &, I just feel SOOOO MUCH BETTER than I have felt for years gone past.WHOO-HOO!! I reall have "embraced" this healthier lifestyle, &, am DAILY feeling better!!! Luck to you all!! :)

Last edited:
Midnight_Merlot said:
While I admit that I'm NOT trying to lose weight(I'm quite small actually), I AM on a "quest" to eat healthier...(stupid gallstones -ugh). Good news is that I have nearly eradicated myself of those dreaded stones, &, I have thus found out gobs of interesting info about the crap that I USED to eat. EVOO is now my best friend, &, butter/margarine shall never again cross my lips. I now READ ingredients, &, steer far clear from things that are processed & contain high fruitcose corn syrup/corn syrup...(do you have ANY idea as to how many products that actually contain this yucky ingredient??? - it's SHOCKING!!) I now boycott white breads in favor of 100% whole wheat products...my mayo now is the olive oil, less calorie mayo (side note - my family members also love this stuff...doubt that I will ever buy reg. mayo. ever again). I also "splurged" on these series of books(now my food bibles) by David Ziinczenko called "Eat This, Not That"(I have 6 of these now)...My grocery shopping list is now quite different that lists of my past...I now buy 75% of fresh veggies, followed by about 10% dairy(the healther kind), then, use the remaining 15% reserved onto my whole grains - MINUS the HFCS junk...
I eat more oftenly, I have gobs more energy, &, I just feel SOOOO MUCH BETTER than I have felt for years gone past.WHOO-HOO!! I reall have "embraced" this healthier lifestyle, &, am DAILY feeling better!!! Luck to you all!! :)

That is all really great- I've been trying to eat healthier myself, mainly by eating a lot of salad with lots of fresh veggies. But just wanted to let you know that high fructose corn syrup is just glucose, and metabolizes in your body just like cane sugar. Only reason they use it is because it is cheaper.

hey simon, i signed up and am gearing up to go on the first. again thank you. they have lots of recipes. some however don't appear to be very low cal.
Glad it works for you. I always feel with any lifestyle change you can eat about anything in moderation. I found the key to be portion control & exercise. Good Luck!:)

portion control works too. however it is easy to delude myself that the portion is not to many calories. counting calories has worked for me in the past. i do eat some things like desserts in tiny portions and that works too,. i lost so much weight when sick last year. everyone encouraged me to eat!eat! and i did. lol now it has to come off.

portion control works too. however it is easy to delude myself that the portion is not to many calories. counting calories has worked for me in the past. i do eat some things like desserts in tiny portions and that works too,. i lost so much weight when sick last year. everyone encouraged me to eat!eat! and i did. lol now it has to come off.
I have always found that it is easier (not neccessarily easy) but easier to lose weight than to maintain it. I lost 123 lbs in 18 months the gained back 100 of it in 7 years.:pig: But, I'm back on track to keep it off permanetly this time.

Skittle68 said:
That is all really great- I've been trying to eat healthier myself, mainly by eating a lot of salad with lots of fresh veggies. But just wanted to let you know that high fructose corn syrup is just glucose, and metabolizes in your body just like cane sugar. Only reason they use it is because it is cheaper.

I think the jury is still out on that one. I am not convinced that it is metabolized the same, I could be wrong. Whatever the outcome, I am better off putting natural sugars in my body than HFCS.

I started to loose weight since last February. I lost about 20 pounds. But I still need to loose 10 more pounds to reach my ideal weight. The problem is I've been the same weight for 2 weeks now and I think if I remain like this without loosing any pounds I'm going to be frustrated.

I started to loose weight since last February. I lost about 20 pounds. But I still need to loose 10 more pounds to reach my ideal weight. The problem is I've been the same weight for 2 weeks now and I think if I remain like this without loosing any pounds I'm going to be frustrated.
Always remember..muscle weighs more than fat. You're toning don't you feel great!:)

Babe, you crack me up! Just remember you aren't in this alone.

I don't drink beer or smoke, but I am giving up a huge vice - chocolate. It is very difficult specially seeing I live with two huge chocoholics and need to make them baking. But I am surrounding myself with healthy snacks, like my own trail mix, California mandarin oranges (very sweet tasting), DH's gluten free Sweet potato quinoa cookies (made with agave syrup and dates instead of sugar. I flavour my water with orange and lemon slices (and as a treat Nestea individual ice teas for water bottles).

If we stick together we will win this!

well folks, i fell off the wagon big time, yesterday. chinese food, chocolate covered strawberries. then for dinner, an eight oz lobster tail dipped in melted butter. however the scale says no harm no foul. so i am back at it today. it was a wonderful mothers day though. my son gave me two tails for mother's day. my daughter brought the chinese and i made the berries. the strawberries were the best i have seen in many years. red and good even in the middle.

110 days no cigarettes...and my new diet is going fine...arrrrghhh!!!!

that's awesome! congratulations!
i am smoke free for 7 yrs! it's best decision i ever done for myself/family.
keep up good work, chewing on celery sticks have helped me.

well folks, i fell off the wagon big time, yesterday. chinese food, chocolate covered strawberries. then for dinner, an eight oz lobster tail dipped in melted butter. however the scale says no harm no foul. so i am back at it today. it was a wonderful mothers day though. my son gave me two tails for mother's day. my daughter brought the chinese and i made the berries. the strawberries were the best i have seen in many years. red and good even in the middle.

You didn't fall off the wagon. You had a cheat day :LOL:

If you don't schedule the occasional cheat day, it's much harder to stick with a diet.

Back
Top Bottom