Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
110 days no cigarettes...and my new diet is going fine...arrrrghhh!!!!

It will get better! I found that drinking a glass of water, even a small one, during an urge helped greatly!

I quit smoking eight years ago, but unfortunately, not in time. Beginning last January, I now wear an oxygen tube under my nose and am undergoing Prednizone steroid therapy, which may extend my life a half dozen years or so... or not. Believe me, you don't want this kind of difficulty!!! QUIT NOW!!!

As for my diet, I weigh myself every morning just as soon as I get up. I praise myself if I lose 1/2 a pound, but if I stay the same or gain, I say, "Oh well, I'll do better tomorrow."

I don't beat myself up, but become more conscious about what I eat that day... and fight the cravings. That's not easy since food is a large part of what comes on TV and looks so good! But I'll eat a zero calorie alternative as a reluctant substitute, knowing that my goal is worth the temporary deprivation. (Note the word, "temporary") ;)

The diet is a funny thing, before I started that silly nutrition class and cardiac rehab, I was losing weight, about 2 pounds a week. Since I started the class I am gaining weight...about 2 pounds a week. And my activity level is at least three times what it was before the heart attack. However, I had to go buy new pants and bought the next size down.:)

So, I am losing inches and gaining weight. Go figure!

And the cigarette thing...I only think about how nasty they smell when I walk by someone who is smoking. I haven't had an urge for a cigarette in about three weeks.

110 days no cigarettes...and my new diet is going fine...arrrrghhh!!!!

That is fantastic!

I quit three years ago and it was the toughest thing I have ever done.

Now I am fighting the battle of the bulge but, that is far easier for me than the smoking. I am really trying to change the way I eat this time and not just diet. I am concentrating on eating a normal amount and increasing activity, the pounds are slowly taking care of themselves. The Wegmans grocery chain has a website that has the basic plan I am using.

Change is never easy :mad:

PF, "So, I am losing inches and gaining weight. Go figure!"

Probably both, trading muscle for fat and water weight. ANY diet can produce a weight loss the first two weeks.. (8-10 lbs.) and it's all water weight, considered temporary and deceiving that the diet is working. The REAL diet begins after 3-4 weeks when fat tissue begins to be broken down for energy.

BTW, I didn't have a heart attack, but back in December I did have a Triple Bypass, so I know something about what you're going through - heart health-wise.

Last edited:
PF, "So, I am losing inches and gaining weight. Go figure!"

Probably both, trading muscle for fat and water weight. ANY diet can produce a weight loss the first two weeks.. (8-10 lbs.) and it's all water weight, considered temporary and deceiving that the diet is working. The REAL diet begins after 3-4 weeks when fat tissue begins to be broken down for energy.

BTW, I didn't have a heart attack, but back in December I did have a Triple Bypass, so I know something about what you're going through - heart health-wise.

I have cut my Triglyceride levels by 75%...the doctor was very pleased. He says he wishes more people would embrace the changes like I have. I just don't want to end up in a bed next to my patient's...selfish, I know! :ROFLMAO:

I did stop going to Rehab, now I'm just doing it on my own. It's much nicer, I can get it done earlier in the day and not get off work at 11 pm.

Shrek has started smoking again, I told him to please make sure it's not following me. I'm trying very hard not to be a "Holier than Thou" ex-smoker.

The diet is a funny thing, before I started that silly nutrition class and cardiac rehab, I was losing weight, about 2 pounds a week. Since I started the class I am gaining weight...about 2 pounds a week. And my activity level is at least three times what it was before the heart attack. However, I had to go buy new pants and bought the next size down.:)

So, I am losing inches and gaining weight. Go figure!

What Selkie said. I'll bet your body mass/fat ratio is lots better now. Next time you go swimming you might sink. :LOL:

One of my uncles built a summer house. He hauled all the bricks up a hill. He was hoping to lose weight, but didn't change weight at all. But, by the time the house was finished all of his shirts were too small and all of his trousers were way too loose.

What Selkie said. I'll bet your body mass/fat ratio is lots better now. Next time you go swimming you might sink. :LOL:

One of my uncles built a summer house. He hauled all the bricks up a hill. He was hoping to lose weight, but didn't change weight at all. But, by the time the house was finished all of his shirts were too small and all of his trousers were way too loose.

I am trying to stay on the low side for weights...I really don't need Popeye arms. My morning walks are taking me farther away, though!:ROFLMAO:

Speaking of dieting, as I type this (eating and typing at the same time...oops!) I'm having an early dinner - tacos. I thought I would splurge a few calories. As it turns out, the shells I planned to use where already opened... and stale - Phttuie!!! After only one bite I dumped the contents of the shells onto my plate, and I'm now finishing shelless tacos and saving myself a bunch of carbs in the process, which is fine with me.

Washing my keyboard of taco sauce is a small price to pay! :LOL:

Speaking of dieting, as I type this (eating and typing at the same time...oops!) I'm having an early dinner - tacos. I thought I would splurge a few calories. As it turns out, the shells I planned to use where already opened... and stale - Phttuie!!! After only one bite I dumped the contents of the shells onto my plate, and I'm now finishing shelless tacos and saving myself a bunch of carbs in the process, which is fine with me.

Washing my keyboard of taco sauce is a small price to pay! :LOL:

I always end up eating it with a fork anyway!:LOL: I asked Shrek when the last time we bought taco shells, he said about 2 years ago...I threw away the package I found in the cabinet.:angel:

Weigh in day for me last thursday. I am down 24 pounds since March 5th. Happy dance!

I had lost 5 by my birthday last week, then put is all back on over my long b-day weekend. *URP* but it was worth it. :LOL:

i decided to lose 10-15. maybe 20. we'll see. a few weeks of apples & pears, portobellos, some buttered veggies, this kinda-hidden sliver of chix or seafood here & there~ diet pop when i'm being a real rebel~ that shant make me into sheer mental mincemeat, huh? lol. huh

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom