"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
Head Chef

Your BLUEBERRY Muffin might have FAKE BERRIES!

Quote:
When consumers buy blueberry cereals, muffins, and mixes, they’re under the impression that they’re buying real blueberries. No ordinary consumer realizes they’re actually buying blue coloring chemicals mixed with hydrogenated oils and liquid sugars. That’s why this common industry practice of faking the blueberries is so deceptive.”
Blueberry imposters: Fake blueberries may be in your packaged foods on Shine

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I got a package like that one time. Usually I just make them from without a mix, then I know what goes into them. The little pho-berries are like candy, but not good in muffins!

Old 02-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Master Chef

they're flakes of fruit of a non-blueberry sort
Old 02-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Head Chef

I haven't made boxed muffins in quite some time but there is one on the market that has a can of real blueberries in them... I don't remember which brand it was but will look next time I go grocery shopping...
Old 02-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
I haven't made boxed muffins in quite some time but there is one on the market that has a can of real blueberries in them... I don't remember which brand it was but will look next time I go grocery shopping...
I think it says "wild blueberries" I have seen those-they are not the kind of blueberries I ate while growing up in Michigan. The little can has LITTLE berries. I am used to the bigger sweet berries. I have some in the freezer. It sounds really good. Maybe I will make some muffins. Or...I could just have some frozen blueberries. I love them frozen!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I think it says "wild blueberries" I have seen those-they are not the kind of blueberries I ate while growing up in Michigan. The little can has LITTLE berries. I am used to the bigger sweet berries. I have some in the freezer. It sounds really good. Maybe I will make some muffins. Or...I could just have some frozen blueberries. I love them frozen!
Yes Chopper that's right they are wild blueberries... I used to add the big ones in the mix to make them xtra BLUEBERRIER!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
Head Chef

These faux berries are in cereals and other items too. Yuck!

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
Yes Chopper that's right they are wild blueberries... I used to add the big ones in the mix to make them xtra BLUEBERRIER!!!
I really like that term; extra blueberrier! Can I keep that one and use it? Thanks! You make me smile!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
I really like that term; extra blueberrier! Can I keep that one and use it? Thanks! You make me smile!
It's all yours chopper!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Those "little blueberries" are the ones that I grew up eating in Maine. They are indeed the wild variety. No other blueberry tastes right to me, I can usually get these little wild blueberries at trader joe's.

I have great memories of camping on the coast of Maine, picking these tiny berries and having my mom put them in pancakes for breakfast.