"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-15-2005, 02:55 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Not sure how healthy it is, but I absolutely love grilling a chicken breast, cutting it into several pieces and making a wrap out of it. All I have is the chicken with a little salt and pepper and the wrap. Never miss the mayo (which I absolutely love). I also like to make wraps out of a bit of cuban pork and black beans. Again don't need mayo and it is absolutely yummy.

Nobody tell me that isn't healthy please. Leave me in my happy ignorance!!! :)

Old 07-15-2005, 06:18 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Wraps are healthy, I am quite sure, especially if you hold the mayo!

Old 07-15-2005, 06:26 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Take wheat toast and top with thinly sliced tomatoes...add cottage cheese and dashes of Frank's Hot Sauce.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:29 PM   #14
Sous Chef

YIPPEEEEEEE, I am eating something healthy and enjoying it!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2005, 08:14 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Add a spoon full of curry to the lentils and you know I'm in.

I also love plain salads with italian vinagre (or balsamic) and sometimes a little shaved cheese.

Or super thin slivers of very thin blanched steak mixed in with fresh veggies and served over white rice with a touch of soysauce.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:13 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Working out I eat a lot of tuna. 2 of my favorites are tuna with mustard and onion and tuna with basalmic vinegar.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:37 PM   #17
Master Chef

I often make soups and stews (this includes curries) for the freezer. Since we have no central A/C, we really look for light meals. My three favorites are a salad Nicoise (hubby's very favorite), a Mex meal (we do it vegetarian, and the only thing heated is my favorite brand of refried black beans, everything else is cold and we sit around the table and serve ourselves. I rarely put out cheese or sour cream, but when I do, just a dab'll do you). But a favorite is what I call "MFKF" soup because I got the idea from one of her books. I simply heat up some stock that I've previously made, and put out chiffonade or julienned vegs and maybe a chicken breast leftover from a previous barbecue. Cold noodles can be added if you need some heft. You sit around and pour the hot stock into your bowl, then add the veggies/meat/noodles, each to their own taste. If you use a rather simple broth, you can have hot sauces on the table to zip it or not. It is a favorite hot weather meal with us.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:01 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I have a good recipe made with low fat cottage cheese.
cucumber
radish
carrot
celery
gr.onion
squash
Dice all vegtables (1/4 cup each or less) and add to cottage cheese and chill for several hrs.
This salad goes with everything. You can also add fresh tomatoes on top before serving.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:56 PM   #19
Senior Cook

pretty much all of the meals that i make would be considered healthy, with the exception of special occasion meals. rather than trying to find recipes for low fat healthy foods, i just convert recipes that i know to healthier versions. white rice becomes brown rice, a tbsp of oil becomes a tsp, and i try to sneak veggies into everything. add a grated carrot or a grated zucchini to marinara sauce, or a big bunch of fresh chopped parsley to ground beef. learn about vegan baking! replace bad fats with good fats, use olive oil instead of butter. and the thing that has helped me the most in learning to eat healthy is learning to love veggies. if this means going out of your way to buy fresh organic veggies from the farmers market, go for it! buying higher quality fruits and veggies can make all the difference in the world... i cant even eat a supermarket tomato or an out of season cucumber anymore.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:48 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to TheLemonSong
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyMist
Never miss the mayo (which I absolutely love).
Actually Mayo is fine for you. Don't believe me, you say?

Lets break it down:

Canola oil is abou the third or fourth best oil for you after flaxseed, fish, and olive oils. Canola oil and egg yolks are what mayo is made of..and I eat eggs nearly every other day.

FAT IS GOOD FOR YOU PEOPLE!!! I can't stress that enough!! It doesn't mean slather on the mayo, but this "fat free" myth is a real bummer...I'm shocked people still believe it just like they will believe carbs are bad for them in 10 years because of the Atkins campaign.

This isnt' about moderation, its about essential fats and while mayo isn't the BEST you can do, if you're careful with portion size its certainly not bad for you!!!