Your favourite healthy meal ideas!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyles

Head Chef
What are your favourite healthy meals (recipes get extra karma!!!)???

In summer, it's my vegetarian lasagne, for which there is no recipe!! And chicken cooked on the George Foreman with bean salad. I am not sure what I did before George came into my life (oh yes that's right, fried in oil and got fat :pig:)

Chicken caesar salad pitas.

No real recipe for that either. Just grill your chicken, slice thinly and toss it in a pita with a pile of caesar salad.

ummmm... you mean we're supposed to eat healthy ?????
oh, crud. lol

i too use a foreman grill... love that thing !!! usually i'll grill
up chicken or steak and toss it into a salad.

I sure do those soups all time myself, luvs food. Also add Manhatan Clam Chowder and a few others. For quick easy healthy eatin' I also have two staple menus:

loin lamb chops with rosemary and garlic, broiled or pan seared. (The amount of meat you are getting is top quality and portion controlled.) You could swap a small filet steak instead if you are a beefer. Couscous cooked in broth, brocoli or peas. THis is a healthy quick cook meal.

I also like broiled or grilled fish (salmon, tuna whatever) your fave small potato boiled and served with garlic and balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. No fats needed, the taste is wonderful. And greens of choice...chard cooked in broth and garlic is quick and mild and way healthy, but if you like baby spinach, go far it!

Both of these are easy for one or more, and yummy and healthy. And cooking with chicken or vegey broth and garlic (or shallots) is really tasty.

One of my favorite Summer recipes is really yummy and it's quite healthy as well:

Summer Salad - (I didn't want to post it again, as I've already done so, and folks might think I only can make one salad!

Anyway, it's under the thread of "main dish salads"

Try it!

Last edited:
My latest favorite is what I made for dinner tonight. This makes dinner for two.

I took two large sheets of aluminum foil and laid then out. On each I put a little olive oil. Then I took one pound of cod fillets and spit it in two. Once piece went on each piece of foil. I seasoned the fish with Old Bay seasoning, but just salt and pepper would be fine here too. I went out to the garden and grabbed what herbs I had on hand. Today it was cilantro, dill, oregano, and lemon thyme. These got a rough chop and were sprinkled over the fish. I sliced up a summer squash into rounds about a quarter inch think and put those rounds on top of the fish. I took a lemon and cut it in half. I squeezed one half over each piece of fish. Sometimes I take another lemon and slice some lemon rounds and put those on top too, but tonight I did not. To all of this I add a splash of white wine then a good grind of black pepper. Then I close the foil to make an airtight pouch. This all goes on a preheated grill for 15 minutes.

Tonight I added an additional side which is not completely healthy, but also not terribly bad for you. I took two tomatoes and sliced off the top. I squeezed out all the guts and then took some fresh oregano from the garden and sprinkled over the top. Then I took a mixture of parm regiano and seasoned bread crumbs and stuffed the tomatoes with that. A good drizzle of EVOO and then these went on the grill too (in a cooler spot than the fish). These cooked for about 5 minutes. We then sprinkled then with Fleur De Sel as we ate them.

GB:

I do a similar "pouch" with salmon, mushrooms, scallions, ginger, garlic, vermouth and soy sauce.
We also enjoy a selection of grilled veggies for dinner occasionally. Ususlly included are portobellos, zucchini, peppers and vidalias. Just brush with EVOO and sprinkle with S&P

Take any assortment of summer veggies that you have and sautee them in evoo with some freshly minced garlic, red pepper flakes to taste, and a pinch of salt and pepper.When they're just about tender, add a splash of white wine and some chopped, seeded tomatoes. Toss the whole thing with pasta (I prefer angel hair) and top with fresh basil chiffonade and lots of fresh Parmesan.

No measurements are really necessary--just proportion veggies and pasta to your liking.

It sure is a lot easier to eat healthy in the summer when everything is in season and also cheap.

A long time favorite of mine is pasta tossed with fresh mozz, tomatoes from our garden and homemade pesto. Serve it with a good salad and you're set.

Not sure how healthy it is, but I absolutely love grilling a chicken breast, cutting it into several pieces and making a wrap out of it. All I have is the chicken with a little salt and pepper and the wrap. Never miss the mayo (which I absolutely love). I also like to make wraps out of a bit of cuban pork and black beans. Again don't need mayo and it is absolutely yummy.

Nobody tell me that isn't healthy please. Leave me in my happy ignorance!!! :)

Wraps are healthy, I am quite sure, especially if you hold the mayo!

Take wheat toast and top with thinly sliced tomatoes...add cottage cheese and dashes of Frank's Hot Sauce.

Add a spoon full of curry to the lentils and you know I'm in.

I also love plain salads with italian vinagre (or balsamic) and sometimes a little shaved cheese.

Or super thin slivers of very thin blanched steak mixed in with fresh veggies and served over white rice with a touch of soysauce.

Working out I eat a lot of tuna. 2 of my favorites are tuna with mustard and onion and tuna with basalmic vinegar.

I often make soups and stews (this includes curries) for the freezer. Since we have no central A/C, we really look for light meals. My three favorites are a salad Nicoise (hubby's very favorite), a Mex meal (we do it vegetarian, and the only thing heated is my favorite brand of refried black beans, everything else is cold and we sit around the table and serve ourselves. I rarely put out cheese or sour cream, but when I do, just a dab'll do you). But a favorite is what I call "MFKF" soup because I got the idea from one of her books. I simply heat up some stock that I've previously made, and put out chiffonade or julienned vegs and maybe a chicken breast leftover from a previous barbecue. Cold noodles can be added if you need some heft. You sit around and pour the hot stock into your bowl, then add the veggies/meat/noodles, each to their own taste. If you use a rather simple broth, you can have hot sauces on the table to zip it or not. It is a favorite hot weather meal with us.

I have a good recipe made with low fat cottage cheese.
cucumber
radish
carrot
celery
gr.onion
squash
Dice all vegtables (1/4 cup each or less) and add to cottage cheese and chill for several hrs.
This salad goes with everything. You can also add fresh tomatoes on top before serving.

pretty much all of the meals that i make would be considered healthy, with the exception of special occasion meals. rather than trying to find recipes for low fat healthy foods, i just convert recipes that i know to healthier versions. white rice becomes brown rice, a tbsp of oil becomes a tsp, and i try to sneak veggies into everything. add a grated carrot or a grated zucchini to marinara sauce, or a big bunch of fresh chopped parsley to ground beef. learn about vegan baking! replace bad fats with good fats, use olive oil instead of butter. and the thing that has helped me the most in learning to eat healthy is learning to love veggies. if this means going out of your way to buy fresh organic veggies from the farmers market, go for it! buying higher quality fruits and veggies can make all the difference in the world... i cant even eat a supermarket tomato or an out of season cucumber anymore.

IcyMist said:
Never miss the mayo (which I absolutely love).

Actually Mayo is fine for you. Don't believe me, you say?

Lets break it down:

Canola oil is abou the third or fourth best oil for you after flaxseed, fish, and olive oils. Canola oil and egg yolks are what mayo is made of..and I eat eggs nearly every other day.

FAT IS GOOD FOR YOU PEOPLE!!! I can't stress that enough!! It doesn't mean slather on the mayo, but this "fat free" myth is a real bummer...I'm shocked people still believe it just like they will believe carbs are bad for them in 10 years because of the Atkins campaign.

This isnt' about moderation, its about essential fats and while mayo isn't the BEST you can do, if you're careful with portion size its certainly not bad for you!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom