"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
There is more to this than meets the eye, for example, a healthy meal is different for a sedentary office worker than one for someone who does heavy manual work.
I agree.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #22
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I agree.
Yep, me too. Much depends upon who's eating!

Old 01-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
There is more to this than meets the eye, for example, a healthy meal is different for a sedentary office worker than one for someone who does heavy manual work.
I understand your point. I also know that each of us have different dietary needs, depending on age, activity level, availability of foods, likes and dislikes, etc. This isn't supposed to be a discussion to nail down the one, healthiest meal, ever. Instead it was an exercise in thinking about what to you is the healthiest meal. I've seen some great examples in this thread so far.

The goal of this thread is to get as many great and healthy recipes as possible, and maybe in the process, inspire others with less cooking experience, to try new, healthier meals.

Maybe we should post recipes with our entries.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

If people want to post recipes, I think they should go in the appropriate forum and put a link here.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
If people want to post recipes, I think they should go in the appropriate forum and put a link here.
+1
Not to mention any recipe labeled as "healthy" will have critics. My recipe for a "healthy" Pasta Carbonara would send Vegetarians, Vegans and those set against white flour over the edge.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
+1
Not to mention any recipe labeled as "healthy" will have critics. My recipe for a "healthy" Pasta Carbonara would send Vegetarians, Vegans and those set against white flour over the edge.
+2. The question was "what do you consider a healthy meal" not 'what recipe do you go to for a healthy meal.'
Old 01-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
+1
White flour? Do you mean in the pasta? That's easily remedied by any of us who don't want white flour. I just use Italian, whole grain pasta.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:36 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
White flour? Do you mean in the pasta? That's easily remedied by any of us who don't want white flour. I just use Italian, whole grain pasta.
Yes, it can be, but that never seems to be a given - it always has to be pointed out, which kinda spoils the spirit of a post.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #29
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Going on about what ingredients you think will be attacked also breaks the spirit of a thread.

How about rewinding back and just talking about our healthiest meal? With the knowledge that some people cannot eat it without adapting it to their particular diet needs. Also knowing that if someone asks about an adaptation/substitute they are not attacking your recipe, they are trying to fit it to their dietary needs/preferences.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Ahh, but then it would be your recipe, not mine.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health