2004 Bigfoot Barleywine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronjohn55

Head Chef
The temperatures have dropped, and some of the leaves have started to turn.

And I've gotten into the stash of 2004 Bigfoot Barleywine!

Despite the name, it's actually a beer. This particular version is brewed to 9.6% alcohol (some go even higher), hence the "wine" in the name.

It's a lovey beer - Thick, syrupy, and even at about 2 years old it's still outrageously hoppy and bitter! It's developing lovely notes of sherry in the aroma and the taste, but the bitterness keeps it from being cloyingly sweet. It's definetly anything BUT an easy drinker, best consumed in small sips. It sure is enjoyable though! A perfect fall/winter brew!

I've got about half a case of this stuff left downstairs, plus a case of 2006 (I missed out on the 2005, so I'll need to work out a trade with someone to get a six pack to include in the beer stash!). It's amazing how these things age... :mrgreen:

John

Last edited:
...and if it does, let's all be happy that Ronjohn's a boy!

I gotta say, your descriptive phrasing was just like being there. Hand me some peanuts, will ya?

ronjohn55 said:

Despite the name, it's actually a beer. This particular version is brewed to 9.6% alcohol (some go even higher), hence the "wine" in the name. John

I would be "barefoot" and "barenaked" after the second one, lookin for the hot tub! 9.6%???????
img_329291_0_e47f0ddd605e615a742162856ac4e489.gif
img_329291_1_be4df1217be28a66021f2ca8bab2c145.gif

jkath said:
I gotta say, your descriptive phrasing was just like being there. Hand me some peanuts, will ya?

Why thank you! As a beer judge, I take that as wonderful compliment!

Hands jkath peanuts....

Enjoy!
John

TATTRAT said:
where can one get there hands on this adult elixer? Sounds yummy.

Hi Tattrat!

You should be able to find Bigfoot at any decent sized beer store. It's made by Sierra Nevada Brewing, so if you find a place that has most of their offerings, you should be in business. It usually comes out in late November (I think - I know I usually grab it around Christmas).

John

Thanks Ronjon! I am No stranger the the fine quality of Sierra Nevada Micro brews. I am a huge fan of thier stout and india Pale ale. sounds like I shouldn't have a problem finding it, thanks!

ronjohn55 said:
Great description of what 'barleywine' really is.
We don't get bigfoot over here in the UK but I know people that I converse with on US beer sites really rave about it!
I'm jealous, I guess i'll have to console myself with some 'Old Tom' soon which is a UK favorite barleywine of mine!:)

ronjohn55 said:

Despite the name, it's actually a beer. This particular version is brewed to 9.6% alcohol (some go even higher), hence the "wine" in the name.

It's a lovey beer - Thick, syrupy, and even at about 2 years old it's still outrageously hoppy and bitter! It's developing lovely notes of sherry in the aroma and the taste, but the bitterness keeps it from being cloyingly sweet. It's definetly anything BUT an easy drinker, best consumed in small sips. It sure is enjoyable though! A perfect fall/winter brew!

I've got about half a case of this stuff left downstairs, plus a case of 2006 (I missed out on the 2005, so I'll need to work out a trade with someone to get a six pack to include in the beer stash!). It's amazing how these things age... :mrgreen:

John

John,

Thanks for reminding me--I've got some Sam Adams barley wine in the cellar from 10 or more years ago. Might be time to break it out and see what time has wrought! I have got to check into this offering by Sierra Nevada. I regularly subsidize their IPA line . . .

Bullseye

Back
Top Bottom