"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 06-17-2014, 03:27 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I never could develop a taste for a martini. I'll stick with my standard whiskey in a glass with ice.
I never could develop a taste for gin. If I want that flavor, I can always chew juniper berries from my bushes out front for a much cheaper price.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:41 AM   #12
Master Chef

I like them dirty, made with olive juice or Claussen dill pickle juice.

3 ounce gin or vodka
1/4 ounce dry vermouth
1 ounce olive or pickle brine

I also enjoy a nice G&T when it is hot and I'm sitting by a large body of water, never think about them any other time.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Since my unfortunate adventure with Tanqueray back in the 80's, no more gin for me.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:50 AM   #14
Master Chef

I am a Bombay Sapphire martini girl. Very dry with one Olive or a twist.

When I make them at home I add about a tablespoon if dry vermouth to my shaker, shake the rocks, dump out and then add the gin.

We went to Amanda Freitag's restaurant, Empire Diner, a month or so ago (fabulous) and since it was still early went across the street to the Red Cat for a nightcap and I had the best martini made from a delicious local gin. Made in Brooklyn. GREEN HOOK GINSMITHS.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #15
Senior Cook

I like mine like example one: Just enough vermouth to swill around the glass, then poured out. I prefer Bombay Gin and, of course 3 olives. In preparation, the bartender should use as little ice (or no ice) as possible. I can drink this martini like a good glass of Cabernet....just slightly cooler than room temperature.

And, thanks for the trivia on James Bond. I haven't read Ian Fleming for some 30 years and my memory is dim.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklitmanfan View Post
I like mine like example one: Just enough vermouth to swill around the glass, then poured out. I prefer Bombay Gin and, of course 3 olives. In preparation, the bartender should use as little ice (or no ice) as possible. I can drink this martini like a good glass of Cabernet....just slightly cooler than room temperature.

And, thanks for the trivia on James Bond. I haven't read Ian Fleming for some 30 years and my memory is dim.
After 60 years of martini drinking, I have tried most things my mind can dream up, including keping everything in the freezer and using no ice and pre mixing a quart or so, storing in the freezer, and just pouring. I always go back to 6-1 stirred over ice, Citadel + Noilly or Martini. The minimal water adds a different flavor.

It is fun to play with the olive. I've tried many, including blue cheese stuffed (don't try), and jalapeno (interesting and fun).
Old 06-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Follow a high school outing that involved Gin and Sprite, I get kweesey when I smell a pine tree. Pour the vermouth into the measurer and pour out the excess, 2 measures Ketel One vodka into a mixing container that was in the freezer, over lots of ice. Stir until cold, strain into a glass that comes out of the freezer, two twists of lemon peels. Enjoy. this is my winter drink, or the standard Johnny Walker Black over two ice cubes and a double twist.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Home Cook View Post
Follow a high school outing that involved Gin and Sprite, I get kweesey when I smell a pine tree.
I hear ya.

It was 20 years before I drank vodka after a particularly debaucherous weekend between high school and college. Which also involved getting picked up by The Monkees in the parking lot of a Howard Johnson's.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:17 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I hear ya.

It was 20 years before I drank vodka after a particularly debaucherous weekend between high school and college. Which also involved getting picked up by The Monkees in the parking lot of a Howard Johnson's.

Now THAT sounds like a good story!
Old 06-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #20
Sous Chef

OK you Guys,
You are now talking serious stuff here. I have just enjoyed our nightly Martini that we always have (except when we are either going out or expecting company ), made by my husband, who has been making them on a regular basis for the last 20yrs ( Hic! )
60% gin or vodka and 40% vermouth, although Gin is our favorite ( MC you must try Noilly Prat because it is GOOOOD) and, we are a 2 olive team here like your, over the pond, Teddy Roosevelt was I believe! We don't follow that up with any other liqueur, but it has always been that delightful time of day when we sit down and catch up with each other's day around 6pm.
It is a very personal Drink and I doubt you will all agree on the proportions but when you discover what suits you then you will find one of life's eternal pleasures.
Sante! or Good Health as they say

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote