9 month old Guinness... still good for cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The one and only time I drank Guiness was in Ireland. My moustache left an indelible imprint on the foam across the top. It must be a sturdy beer that holds up well under intense scrutiny and all weather conditions.

I too drank Guinness in a little pub in Ireland...in Dublin, it is nice, an acquired taste

I have a couple of bottles of Guinness that were bought around the holidays last year... so from the point of purchase to now are about 8-9 months old. I'm wondering if these would still be passable either for drinking or, if not, for cooking? Is there any risk of getting sick from old beer or is it just that the taste will go bad?
Of course it will keep. The alcohol acts as a preservative. Personally, I think draught Guinness tastes better than bottled and you can sling the canned stuff in the rubbish bin. However, if you want it at home bottled it has to be.

I have some bottles of Mackeson (similar to Guinness but slightly sweeter) in the cupboard that I bought for last year's Christmas puddings and I will use the bottles up in October when I make this year's puddings. That's if I haven't used them in casseroles before then.

Back
Top Bottom