A flight of bourbon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
http://limpero.com/index2.htmUncle Bob, pull up a chair.;)

Ever since our second trip to New Orleans, Lou and I have been experimenting with all sorts of bourbon, to great success, I might add:wacko:. Ocassionally, we'll mix it, but usually, we enjoy it on the rocks. I like it neat, and can appreciate the subtle nuances better when neat, but really prefer just a bit of a chill..

We were at Jazz Standard last weekend for the final set, starting at 11:30. We'd had cocktails at home - Basil Hayden. We went to dinner at http://limpero.com/index2.htm
With dinner, we enjoyed Makers Mark. When we got to the club, naturally, we planned to stick with bourbon. Blue Smoke : : Jazz Standard has a very impressive bourbon list, but the waiter suggested we try a flight of 5 bourbons. It started with the Basil Hayden and ended with a Van Winkle, 18 year aged bourbon.

By the time we got to the Van Winkle 18 (there were two different Van Winkles in the flight) we were convinced the Basil Hayden was swill. :glare:. The 18 year Van Winkle, I was told, is made special for Blue Smoke, the BBQ restaurant upstairs, from a 20 year batch which is removed after 18 years. It was like melted butter sliding down my throat.

I did a brief search regarding the esteemed Van Winkles and discovered I can procure my own bottle at a nearby spirit shoppe.

So, has anyone tried this glorious bourbon??? What is your opinion?

Miss Blue...

So many Bourbons and so little time...The Pappy Van Winkle's label is well known and well respected/loved by many bourbon connoisseurs. With all of the different labelings of each brand it is hard to keep tabs on all of them.
I have poured the Van Winkles Family Reserve 15(years old) bottled at 107 proof. It is the only label of the Van Winkle's brand I have enjoyed to date. My first pour was disappointing, but subsequent pourings were better, later very very good. All bourbon must be at least 51% Corn(most are in the 70% range) then followed by rye, wheat, and malted barley depending on the brand, recipe etc. It is the secondary grain that distinguishes a wheat bourbon from a rye based bourbon. The Pappy Van Winkle's are "wheater's in that wheat is the predominant grain after corn. This gives Van Winkles and all other "wheaters" a distinguishing taste/flavor/aroma etc. Like all things, some people love it...some hate it. Others can enjoy both the wheat based and rye based depending on moods etc, etc, etc, I personaly prefer the rye based bourbons but can enjoy a "wheater" at times.
Some distilleries do bottle labels for foreign markets only. I have never heard of one being bottled "just for a restaurant"
Pappy Van Winkles does bottle(or did) an 18 year old bourbon labeled as
PVW Reserve Park Ave. at 105 proof I think. The PVW 23 sells for around $200.00 or so. Be sure to pick up a couple of bottles for the week-end.
Going from a 105 proof to a 80 proof bourbon will make the 80 seem very week indeed..It is best, in my opion to move from a lower to a higher proof as the evening progresses.
Yes I have tried it..and Yes the Pappy Van Winkle's are excellent bourbons.

Enjoy!

kitchenelf said:
Uncle Bob - isn't that saying "so many bourbons, only one liver"? :LOL: That's our motto at the wine shop anyway!

You work in a wine shop???????????????????????????????

kitchenelf said:
Uncle Bob - isn't that saying "so many bourbons, only one liver"? :LOL: That's our motto at the wine shop anyway!

:LOL:
Miss Elf...

A word of Caution to all that pass this way. To much of a good thing is indeed dangerous!! Mashed potatoes and graaaaaaaavy come to mind:ermm:

Seriously I limit myself to 2 oz. per day. And not all days of the week. Over a period of sometimes hours.

Some groups advocate no more that 2 drinks per day. In wiskeys I think that equates to two 1 1/2 oz drinks.(Maybe less for women) I don't know how it equates to wine and beer. Maybe you can comment on wine?

I do know that any of you ladies who are in a "family way" should avoid ALL alcohol for the duration of the process. Also, anyone with any type of health issues, should discuss the consumption of alcohol with their family physician.

As in many or all things...Moderation is key. If not total abstinence!

Enjoy.

PLEASE DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!!!

Yes, and it's the best job anyone can have!!!!!!!! You get to drink wine with lunch, reps come in about 3 times a week and you get to taste, it's a bad day you get to pour a glass, it's a good day you get to pour a glass - it's a DAY you get to pour a glass - :LOL: I don't mean a full glass - a couple ounces here, a couple ounces there - I LOVE it!

Tasting wines, spirits, and brews is like a taste of the region where it came from. I find it fascinating to "taste" and "feel" the different regions. I am guilty of explaining wines and their regions to my child. It is a simple as climate, soil type, heritage, tradition, etc. Just as we can and can't grow certain types of flowers here.

I find it very fascinating to read your posts on bourbons and their differences! I am an old fan of Jim Beam, not very refined, I know!!!

shannon in KS said:
Tasting wines, spirits, and brews is like a taste of the region where it came from. I find it fascinating to "taste" and "feel" the different regions. I am guilty of explaining wines and their regions to my child. It is a simple as climate, soil type, heritage, tradition, etc. Just as we can and can't grow certain types of flowers here.

I find it very fascinating to read your posts on bourbons and their differences! I am an old fan of Jim Beam, not very refined, I know!!!

Miss Shannon...

The Jim Beam White Label I do believe is the # 1 Selling Bourbon. Due to in part to it's price/quality ratio. At 80 Proof it could be described as light bodied. There is also a Black Label Jim Beam 8(years old) that is 86 proof.
Then there is the Beam Small batch Collection consisting of Basil Hayden's 8 @ 80 proof, Knob Creek 9 @ 100 proof, Baker's 7 @ 107 proof and Booker's 6/8 @ 127 proof. The Booker's label is the "Top of the line" for the Beam Distilling Co. At 127 proof it is a true Kentucky sippin whiskey. All of these Bourbons have their own "recipe" to tempt the most discriminating palate...

Enjoy...(In Moderation)

Uncle Bob, I do prefer the Black over the white label stuff! I am going to have to try and find some of the bourbon's mentioned by vera and yourself soon! Thanks!!!! :)

I have done flights of Scotts whiskey more than I have of the others, but yes I have experienced the butter! Now give Rye a try...it's on the way back and very fine!

VeraBlue said:
I love Bookers!!!
:glare:

**makes a note to change the locks on the liquor cabinet again...**

:-p

John

(Oh, wait. My bottle of Booker's is here in metro Detroit, and Vera can not come to Detroit, she's seen Kentucky Fried Movie)

I have enjoyed this thread and agree with all the recommendations for high end liquor.

As a son of the South in general and of Tennessee in particular I enjoy sour mash whiskey as part of my heritage.

I can throw-in the Evan Williams brand as a good, every-day drink... meaning not to have everyday but not reserved for special occasions.

Side-by-side with Jack Daniels and Beam I believe it offers smoother, sweeter profile, and at a far lower price- thus providing great value.

My absolute favorite is Maker's Mark, every day is Early Times black label. Funny, though, the quality every once in a while will be strangely amazing - one bottle in particular had a vanilla note that was very pronounced! Haven't had one like that since.:(

Our "adopted" daughter drinks Jack & coke.:sick: I'm trying to teach her that she shouldn't drink bourbon that she has to cover up! "Try a little Maker's, sweetie!" Now she knows that Maker's is off limits to her - it's alcohol abuse to add anything but ice and a splash of "branch" to a fine bourbon.

When I first went away to college, my dad, Mr. White, sat me down and had a talk with me. A youthful wild hair does run in the family, and he knew I was gonna party.
He told me, "We Whites can drink all the beer we want, but we can't drink whisky." Of course it went in one ear and out the other.

I went off to school, and come the first big fraternity party, I found out what whisky can do to "us Whites".
I'd been drinking beer all afternoon and early evening, but when the band started playing, one of the guys started giving me shots of bourbon. I killed a whole pint, and really made a fool of myself. In addition to dancing myself into a frenzy to songs like "Gloria", I had to be walked around the parking lot, and then hung my head out the door of the car all the way back to the dorm. My fiancee was so disgusted, he left me there, and the guys that got me drunk had to take me back to the dorm.
I ended up being taken to the hospital, having a gawdawful hangover for 3 days, and having to face Dean Dickey, dean of women, old maid, and retired Baptist preacher the next morning. She didn't like my Yankee attitude, and put me on disciplinary probation.

That's the last time I drank Bourbin for many years. But I did develop a taste for Scotch...Chevas Regal, which I drank on the rocks. I won't bore you with details, but I found that Scotch made me crazy.

My dad was right.

Harborwitch said:
My absolute favorite is Maker's Mark, every day is Early Times black label. Funny, though, the quality every once in a while will be strangely amazing - one bottle in particular had a vanilla note that was very pronounced! Haven't had one like that since.:(

Our "adopted" daughter drinks Jack & coke.:sick: I'm trying to teach her that she shouldn't drink bourbon that she has to cover up! "Try a little Maker's, sweetie!" Now she knows that Maker's is off limits to her - it's alcohol abuse to add anything but ice and a splash of "branch" to a fine bourbon.

Miss Habourwitch...

Just a couple of points for clarification purposes. Early Times that is sold in the U.S. Market is not a true Bourbon Whiskey..but rather a 20/80 percent whiskey that is aged 20% in USED barrels and 80 percent NEW barrels.
To be a Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey it must be aged in 100% New charred barrels. Early Times that is sold to overseas markets is a true Kentucky bourbon 100% aged in new barrels..Your label probably says Kentucky Whiskey..rather than Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. What does this have to do with you enjoying it...Absolutely NOTHING!!:LOL: Also Jack Daniels is not a Kentucky Bourbon but a Tennessee Whiskey that is filtered prior to aging. Again it has nothing to do with you or anyone enjoying it.

Lastly, then I promise to shut up! For the best taste, use a distilled water as your "branch" water and ice. City (tap) water is often Chlorinated which can cause off taste at times. Sometimes here, in the shower it smells like I am in a swimming pool.

Oh! I do believe I used your Hot Buttered Rum recipe during Christmas! Was excellent!

Please enjoy!!!

Uncle Bob

Back
Top Bottom