A Real Martini?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a bit of a latecomer to this thread, but since I'm pretty passionate about the classic cocktails, here goes. Forgive me if I sound a little opinionated!
:)

I cannot for the life of me understand what people call the "vodka martini". I think it's a stretch even calling it a martini. Gin and vodka are very different tasting. A proper martini will ALWAYS be a cocktail made with gin. (Please understand I have nothing agianst vodka!)

The other thing that blows me away is the "toss a drop of vermouth in the glass, swirl, and toss" thing. At the heart of the cocktail is the interaction of gin and vermouth- when you take away the vermouth and the gin, what are drinking? A martini? Really that's a stretch. I have nothing against people drinking cold vodka shaken with ice, and garnished with olives, from a cocktail glass, but I think it needs a different name!

I can only blame the "ridiculously dry" thing on the fact that vermouth will overpower vodka (while it mingles nicely with gin) and so, when vodka "martinis" became popular, people (not surprisingly) didn't like the traditional gin/vermouth ratio.

Also, I have to say Mr. Bond is must either a)be in a hurry, or b)want a weak drink so he won't be impaired in his secret agent acticivies, because shaking is not the way to go. A martini should be stirred and carefully poured. It's not a banana passionfruil wheatgrass smoothie, it's a classic, respectable drink and there's no need to handle it so roughly.

Anyhow, here's how I prefer 'em: (I measure with a shot glass)

2/3 shot Noilly Pratt dry vermouth
3 shots chilled Bombay Sapphire gin (Bellringer when I'm on a budget)

Combine vermouth and gin over ice, stir for 15 seconds. Pour carefully into chilled cocktail glass. Add three olives.

Last edited:
I'm a bit of a latecomer to this thread, but since I'm pretty passionate about the classic cocktails, here goes. Forgive me if I sound a little opinionated!
:)

I cannot for the life of me understand what people call the "vodka martini". I think it's a stretch even calling it a martini. Gin and vodka are very different tasting. A proper martini will ALWAYS be a cocktail made with gin. (Please understand I have nothing agianst vodka!)

The other thing that blows me away is the "toss a drop of vermouth in the glass, swirl, and toss" thing. At the heart of the cocktail is the interaction of gin and vermouth- when you take away the vermouth and the gin, what are drinking? A martini? Really that's a stretch. I have nothing against people drinking cold vodka shaken with ice, and garnished with olives, from a cocktail glass, but I think it needs a different name!

I can only blame the "ridiculously dry" thing on the fact that vermouth will overpower vodka (while it mingles nicely with gin) and so, when vodka "martinis" became popular, people (not surprisingly) didn't like the traditional gin/vermouth ratio.

Also, I have to say Mr. Bond is must either a)be in a hurry, or b)want a weak drink so he won't be impaired in his secret agent acticivies, because shaking is not the way to go. A martini should be stirred and carefully poured. It's not a banana passionfruil wheatgrass smoothie, it's a classic, respectable drink and there's no need to handle it so roughly.

Anyhow, here's how I prefer 'em: (I measure with a shot glass)

2/3 shot Noilly Pratt dry vermouth
3 shots chilled Bombay Sapphire gin (Bellringer when I'm on a budget)

Combine vermouth and gin over ice, stir for 15 seconds. Pour carefully into chilled cocktail glass. Add three olives.

You, Sir, are a man after my own heart. I would bend an elbow for one of your martinis anytime.:cool:

Is there really a huge difference in the flavor of different Gins (or vodkas for that matter)? I have only tried Bombay Sapphire and I like it in a martini but I have never tried anything else. I mostly only drink at home (not much at bars/restaurants) and so I do not have access to many types of Gin - I only have the one brand I bought. How do you find what kind of gin you like best? Do you buy tons of varieties for home or you just figure it out by experimenting at a bar or something?

Just trying to understand how people have such strong opinions on this stuff!

Last edited:
Too much of the ice melts when it is shaken. Waters the gin.
Where I see it the opposite. An important part of the drink is having the right amount of water melt into the drink, which is why I like mine shaken, not stirred.

Is there really a huge difference in the flavor of different Gins (or vodkas for that matter)? I have only tried Bombay Sapphire and I like it in a martini but I have never tried anything else. I mostly only drink at home (not much at bars/restaurants) and so I do not have access to many types of Gin - I only have the one brand I bought. How do you find what kind of gin you like best? Do you buy tons of varieties for home or you just figure it out by experimenting at a bar or something?

Just trying to understand how people have such strong opinions on this stuff!
There absolutely is a difference. We can compare it to different types of cola. Do you find a difference between Coke and Pepsi and RC Cola and (add any others in here)? There are all cola, but each one has it's own flavor. Some differences are minor and some are more pronounced. As for figuring out which you like best, that is just a matter of trying different types until you find one that speaks to you.

Back
Top Bottom