"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 12-12-2007, 10:32 PM   #1
Master Chef

Absinthe

Absinthe was something that I have read about - but has been outlawed in several (most) countries for about 100 years ... now it seems the US is going to allow it's production again.

Some of my childhood was spent in New Orleans ... now maybe I'll have a chance to understand the drink that gave the Old Absinthe House it's name?

If only they would recend the rules and let A&W make real rootbeer again ...

Old 12-12-2007, 11:15 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Absinthe was something that I have read about - but has been outlawed in several (most) countries for about 100 years ... now it seems the US is going to allow it's production again.

Some of my childhood was spent in New Orleans ... now maybe I'll have a chance to understand the drink that gave the Old Absinthe House it's name?

If only they would recend the rules and let A&W make real rootbeer again ...
I belive Absinthe had hallucinating properties which in turn made it illegal.It was supposed to be quite powerful.Yet I would like to try the real thing at least once also Jaegar Meister a German liqour was suppossed to also contain opiates.I dont know but Absinthe was supposed to be the it drug in drink form many years ago.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:29 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
I've tried in Brazil, it was a yellowish herb type liquor.
Nothing extraordinaire or very special, I guess you have to drink a significant quantity to feel any special effect. I was told that you can have it straight (as I did, and it was the bottle recommendation), or with a sugar cube and iced water using a special slotted spoon. This way of preparing apparently, "magnifies" the herb properties. It was originally produced in Switzerland, but mostly consumed in France and outlawed after first WW1.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:04 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Its a greenish, herby drink. The "hallucinating" properties come from wormwood. I once made an effort to get intoxicated enough to see if this was true and, while I did manage to get intoxicated much quicker than usual, I didnt experience any sort of hallucinogenic response.

The sugar cube thing basically involves setting a sugar cube on a slotted spoon, dousing it with the alcohol, and burning it so the sugar melts and falls into a cup below the spoon, then you drink it. Supposed to increase the effect.

Also, another more interesting way of "consuming" the drink is to put it in a bowl, light it on fire, place a plate or something over the bowl to suffocate the flame, then inhale the absinthe fumes. Have never tried this, but supposedly provides a pretty interesting buzz.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:25 AM   #5
Head Chef

I have a bottle . I like it.

Never noticed anything from drinking it, other than the version I have is very, VERY strong. (110 Proof, if I recall)

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
Sous Chef

True absinthe contains wormwood which is believed to be a psychedelic. It normally just makes you feel drunker according to some friends of mine.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
Head Chef

ahhh crap. I had a huge and informative post and I lost it! /cry

Here's a quickie recap:

It was produced in Switzerland and France ~ I'm sure that most brands that you see hitting the U.S shelves will be produced in either of the same areas.

The alcohol content is not any greater than most rums, vodkas and even bourbon / whiskeys (80-110%).

If you drank as much as the lushes who purportedly "saw" things after drinking it you'd know that the type of alcohol you drank was less important than the amount at that point. (i.e. rot gut rum can produce the same symptoms!)

There is a compelling ceremony that goes along with drinking Absinthe (much like drinking tea in Japan ... ). There are glasses, spoons and even dispensers which are considered de rigueur when consuming it ~ to find the perfect "louch"ing point.

USFDA didn't ever ban it per se, but it was able to halt the import of it by controlling the amount of "thujone" which it contained. Funny thing is, every day herbs such as sage, thyme, rosemary, caraway, sassafras, and yarrow contain more than the drink ever did. Thujone is also used in several modern products including Absorbine Jr.®, Vicks Vaporub, Absinthe, Gammel Dansk, and many more. Absinthe today contains very safe levels of thujone which is why it was able to be legally distributed here in the good ole USofA again.

I do know that two manufacturers were given permission to distribute here in WA state just this past week or so. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is Lucid. As soon as I remember the other, I'll let y'all know.

Z
Old 12-13-2007, 09:17 AM   #8
Head Chef

ahh yeah, the green-ish color (before louching) was what gave it the name la Fée Verte or "Green Fairy" ...

Z
Old 12-13-2007, 09:30 AM   #9
Sous Chef

thanks Zereh, that was quite informative.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:34 AM   #10
Sous Chef

We've always had it in Australia to my knowledge.