Absinthe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spork

Head Chef
Went to the local wine store yesterday, had a sudden itch of curiosity about a mythical alcoholic drink which in the past maybe three years has been revived, with several producers claiming to have discovered/reverse-engineered the secret concoction. There were about five labels, mostly from Europe, in modern-gothic bottles. One bottler was none other than the rock-musician Marilyn Manson. hmmm, I'd better ask DC first...

Does anyone have info or experience with this liquor?

I used to sneak bottles back from Europe when you couldn't get it here.

I like it.

Occasionally have it in a cocktail when I go out.

I don't think anyone makes the original, which had wormwood (I think that is the word) in it and, drinking it to excess, really did do brain damage. And pretty quickly (as opposed to the decades it takes to do brain damage with normal alcohol)(trust me, I'm a drinker! haha!) It was a fad for awhile here (meaning the US, when we were in New Mexico) to find the killer stuff and drink it to be a "manly man". Huh? OK, go do meth. Why don't you enjoy alcohol for its many benefits, not go looking for something to kill your brain prematurely??

By the way, if you're drinking it legally, then it is missing the poisonous ingredient, so you're good to go.

Last edited:
I've seen a set of special spoons and glasses for use with Absinthe. Apparently you pour it over a sugar cube into the glass...?

Yes. I head what's in it is wormwood oil. I've seen a technique where you have a sugar cube placed in a spoon thats paced on top of the cup. It is set on fire from some absinthe, and then you drop it in. Does anyone know anything else about this? Or have done this?

I've seen a technique where you have a sugar cube placed in a spoon thats paced on top of the cup. It is set on fire from some absinthe, and then you drop it in. Does anyone know anything else about this? Or have done this?
We do this with a fork and sugar cube rested on the rim of a glass of Cointreau, the burning beads of sugar drop into the cointreau with a sound like gun fire,I think it was called an "old soldier"

I've had it a few times. In London over sugar, at home over sugar. Right after it came out a friend bought a bottle. At a party I spent the better part of the night trying to come up with a drink that anyone thought was actually good. I never found one. I did have a very good time though.

Then, I went to a local restaurant that serves it by rinsing the glass with it before adding the drink. I had a mojito in a glass rinsed (swirled) with absinthe.

That was quite good. I'll never buy it though, not to my taste and very expensive. $80 for 750 ml.

I, of course, didn't have the wormwood kind.

Back
Top Bottom