Any wine suggestions to pair with Thai beef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe a Gewurtztraminer? A beaujolais?
There is a new book on the market What to Drink With What You EAt--apparently it even pairs coke and tea.
Our daughter is in the final weeks of her second year's sommelier course and for Christmas we gave her a book (on the recommendation from a cookbook author/instructor) by Evan Goldstein Perfect Pairings (I am doubting that title a little--I'll check). It is a WONderful book with some menus/recipes and lots of wine facts/attributes/matches. $19 on Amazon.
But additionally, I have some sirloin in the fridge and a Thai beef salad to match our 75* weather might be for dinner here so I'll have to look for some wine too.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a dry Riesling on hand - which I guess is still ok with the beef. A Beaujolais usually doesn't "knock my socks off" but the spicy beef may make this a pleasant wine to have with it. I was thinking more along the lines of a red - though I would not have any hesitation in drinking a white like a Gewurtztraminer.

I'll go search my supply to see what I have on hand. My motto is - when in doubt serve bubbly :chef: :LOL:

good question....

I think thai might be kind of a hard food to pair wine with. Maybe im wrong but its just my opinion. So many flavors comming at you from thai...from sour to sweet to salty to hot. Thai is definitly a complex dish and its why its one of my favorites. First of all if i was looking for a wine with thai i would look for something with a "little" sweetness. I am not talking about a sweet desert wine but i don't think you want anything bone dry either. I think a slightly sweet wine would go well with the slight sweet flavores in thai such as pad thai. I also would try to get something with a hint of tropical fruit.

Also i think sparkling wines would work well. The bubbles would cut through the heat/grease in thai food i think.

I think Reislings would work well. I also think a white sparkling would work well thats crisp and clear and not aged to long which i think would taste muddy. I think maybe a sparkling rose would be nice.

Ncage

I would recommend a good beer first, like Sing-Ha, King Fisher or Sapporo.

As far as a red whine, something on the spicy side, like a south American Cabernet Savignon.

I think that a very fruit forward Chard might work, but there are a lot of strong flavors in Thai cuisine, and the whine might get lost, or your palate will be shot.

Last edited:
And I think Andy has a good idea. And roses get a really bad rap, because they are thought to be white zins, but a nice French rose would be good. Or a Cote du Rhone.

I'll have to put my feelers out for a citra wine!!!!!

Beer -
hide8rp.gif
I've tried to like it but it hasn't happened yet!

I think Andy M. suggested what I am going for tonight. A BIG red! ...unless the bubbly wins out! I do have a demi sec that might work nicely!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!!!!!!
mk017ms5.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom