Anyone else fond of making Manhattans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I have dinner guests I often like to use the occasion to break out the stirring pitcher and the nice glasses and make some proper cocktails, which a lot of people really like because it seems so uncommon these days for people to take the time to do it at home.

Anyhow, while Martinis (gin, of course) are what I usually make, I've been experimenting with Manhattans, which are a really nice drink and fun to make. So I wanted to discuss 'em a bit, and as I'm really just a novice bartender, maybe some of the more experienced forumites can offer some wisdom...

One thing I'm learning is that I should not skimp on the vermouth. Once I upgraded a bit from Martini and Rossi to Noilly Pratt dry vermouth, my martinis got tastier, so I did the same for sweet vermouth and lo and behold, my Manhattans got better. I suppose I'll keep upgrading and see how it goes!

I keep experimenting with the vermouth/whiskey ratio, stirring time, and amount of bitters... but anyhow here's how I made 'em last night. (I use a small-ish shot glass to measure out the quantities.)

Combine 1/2 shot sweet vermouth 2 1/2 shots rye whiskey (Old Overholt) over ice, stir for 15 full seconds. Strain into chilled martini glass, adding a dash of bitters.

:w00t2:

justplainbill said:
I prefer brandy instead of whiskey and closer to 1 part vermouth to 2 parts brandy and am ambivalent about the desirability of angostura.

I should try it with brandy sometime. Kinda like a sidecar but with vermouth...

I have to disagree about the bitters; for me it's not a Manhattan without bitters!

Last edited:
What exactly is a sidecar? I had one at the recommendation of a bartender once and loved it. I did ask for it again at another place but they were unfamiliar with what it was.

elaine l said:
What exactly is a sidecar? I had one at the recommendation of a bartender once and loved it. I did ask for it again at another place but they were unfamiliar with what it was.

Ah sidekar ish wut ya’ needz be rid’n in after a few uf dose! :LOL:

A real basic version is Brandy, Triple Sec, and Lime Juice in a 2-1-1 ratio. But there are many, many different variations.

I like Manhattan's with bourbon. Maker's Mark especially.

I think Makers Manhattans are nice; I've even ordered them, but on the whole they're usually sweeter than what I prefer. IMO rye seems to compliment the sweet vermouth well.

A Rob Roy is nice too, just sub Scotch for the whiskey...

It's almost Manhattan season!!!!! Ever since I can remember, my dad would make a pitcher of manhattans on Thanksgiving for the adult guests. He always let me have the cherry....and eventually, I got a cocktail of my own.

I have a hard rule...no manhattans before Thanksgiving and none after easter.

I cannot tell you how excited I am!!! I do prefer Rob Roys, though.. and my formula is 3 to 1, whether it's a manhattan or a rob roy.

Penguin....You may want to upgrade to a better rye as well. Maybe from Old Overholt to a Thomas H. Handy. I'm certain it will improve your Manhattans.....

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom