Are there any acceptable "Old Fashioned" mixes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I've discovered that I love the Old-Fashioned (with bourbon) but I find that I only really drink it when eating out because it is a rather labor-intensive drink and I don't want to use an entire orange to make one drink. So I was wondering if there is such thing as an Old-Fashioned mix that actually is decent? I know that most mixes are nothing compared to the real thing, and I suspect this will be the same... but if anyone has an Old-Fashioned mix that they think is good enough to pass when making a quick cocktail... please share!

Thanks.

Oddly enough, Jagermeister makes for an exceptional substitute for "bitters" in the original Old Fashioned mix.

I'm not sure where you get the "entire orange" part, since most OF recipes I'm aware of have no orange in them.

My favorite (and very not labor intensive) version:

1 tsp simple syrup
2 dashes of Angostura (or Jager)
2 ounces bourbon

Mix syrup and Angostura/Jager (I prefer Jager) in a glass. Add ice, bourbon, and a twist of lemon.

Oh MetalChef - that's definitely NOT an Old-Fashioned!! Certainly not the authentic ones I remember from way back when they were "the" popular drink (I know - I'm aging myself).

But Crankin - I don't understand your problem. An Old-Fashioned is a truly simple drink & definitely not "labor intensive". And it doesn't require a "whole orange". A slice of orange, along with a maraschino cherry, is just a garnish. You could leave it out if you want.

What recipe are you using that makes this easy drink "labor intensive" for you?

Breezy - one of the first published recipes for an Old Fashioned, circa 1895, prescribed a cube of sugar dissolved in "a little water", two dashes of Angostura, ice, lemon peel, and one jigger of whisky.

Were you drinking them prior to that point in time? :huh: :LOL:

yep, looking at a recipe in an old book (1941, "Here's How" wooden cover), it calls for bourbon, Angostora bitters, 1/2 lump sugar, water. garnished with a piece of lemon and orange.

yep, looking at a recipe in an old book (1941, "Here's How" wooden cover), it calls for bourbon, Angostora bitters, 1/2 lump sugar, water. garnished with a piece of lemon and orange.

Glad I'm not completely off my rocker there. :ROFLMAO:

I just happen to prefer Jager over Angostura. That's my deviation, probably because I'm more accustomed to drinking Jager (not that I drink a lot, but I was in a band for several years that was "sponsored" by Jager - as part of our end of the deal, we had to turn up a shot or two during every live performance)

Oh please - who cares about a circa-1895 recipe. We evolved from the apes to improve our cooking - lol!! Well - most of us have.

If the recipes of the 1895's are what you prefer, enjoy them. I prefer the much better classic cocktail recipes of the 40's/50's. And no - I'm not going to post one - there are DOZENS, if not more available on the internet. All far more interesting & delicious than your 1895 concoction.

I can't imagine sitting in an old New York mahogany bar & drinking what you feel is a true "Old Fashioned". Where's the dash of Sweet Vermouth? Where's the maraschino cherry? Where's the obligatory orange slice?

Sorry mate - no deal.

Oh please - who cares about a circa-1895 recipe. We evolved from the apes to improve our cooking - lol!! Well - most of us have.

If the recipes of the 1895's are what you prefer, enjoy them. I prefer the much better classic cocktail recipes of the 40's/50's. And no - I'm not going to post one - there are DOZENS, if not more available on the internet. All far more interesting & delicious than your 1895 concoction.

I can't imagine sitting in an old New York mahogany bar & drinking what you feel is a true "Old Fashioned". Where's the dash of Sweet Vermouth? Where's the maraschino cherry? Where's the obligatory orange slice?

Sorry mate - no deal.

Fair enough, but don't say the recipe I describe isn't an "authentic" Old Fashioned. ;)

Just because they evolved into something different post-WWII doesn't mean the original recipe is no longer legit. I happen to like them that way. :chef:

Breezy, what you're describing is a Manhattan Cocktail (it was my mom's favorite, and I still prefer it to a Martini or an Old Fashioned).

An Old Fashioned is a different drink.

And in answer to the OP's question, no, there are no acceptable mixes for an Old Fashioned, or for a Manhattan, for that matter. Good cocktails require real booze, real bitters, and other fresh ingredients, and for that there ain't no subs.

Scotch - you may very well be right. My parents enjoyed both of the above & perhaps I'm confusing them. That said, I do believe my favorite watering hole way back when garnished both cocktails with marichino cherries & orange slices, which is probably helping with my confusion.

Scotch - you may very well be right. My parents enjoyed both of the above & perhaps I'm confusing them. That said, I do believe my favorite watering hole way back when garnished both cocktails with marichino cherries & orange slices, which is probably helping with my confusion.
The main diff is the sweet vermouth. And many bars do throw in all the garbage (technical term) they have regardless of the drink. There are a heck of a lot of really ignorant and incompetent bartenders around -- the ones who can mess up a Scotch and soda!

The recipes I've looked at all call for muddling a cherry, orange slice, or other fruit (i.e. Old Fashioned recipe). That's really all I meant by "labor intensive" - because if I want to make myself 2-3 of these in a night, sometimes I'd rather just have a drink I can build simply in a glass or else just shake and strain.

Oh, and I do not mean to imply that making an Old-Fashioned would actually use a "whole orange." What I meant was, if I am going to slice up an orange to use in a drink, and I only make one drink. What will I do but throw away the remainder of the orange. Therefore, I'm using a "whole orange" for one drink.

Oh, and I do not mean to imply that making an Old-Fashioned would actually use a "whole orange." What I meant was, if I am going to slice up an orange to use in a drink, and I only make one drink. What will I do but throw away the remainder of the orange. Therefore, I'm using a "whole orange" for one drink.

Well, again, the original calls for just a bit of lemon peel.

I might suggest partially zesting either an orange or a lemon as an alternative. This way, you're not even cutting into the fruit, meaning it's usable again later.

What will I do but throw away the remainder of the orange.
I know this is going to sound absolutely crazy, but hear me out. There are parts of the world where people...no really listen...it is true..they actually EAT oranges. You could try that ;)

I know this is going to sound absolutely crazy, but hear me out. There are parts of the world where people...no really listen...it is true..they actually EAT oranges. You could try that ;)
Lemon tree very pretty,
And the lemon flower is sweet,
But the fruit of the poor lemon
Is impossible to eat!

You're kidding, right? You mean you'd make one drink & toss the rest of the orange rather than 1) eating it, 2) juicing it & using the juice in any number of recipes for a bit of citrus flair, 3) cutting it up & stuffing it into a chicken or duck?

Maybe what you need is a bartending site rather than a cooking site.;)

Back
Top Bottom