Bacardi Mojito Mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BreezyCooking said:
I know I could make them from scratch, but frankly, am not a HUGE mint fan (which probably makes me an idiot for trying this in the first place - lol!!). I do like rum, however, & we just bought the mix to see why everyone was so hot about Mojitos.

I should have known better, since I'm not a Mint Julep fan either.

I've been seeing some great recipes for different flavoured mojitos, lately. I've seen ginger, strawberry and even lemon.

VeraBlue said:
I came across a recipe from a bartender from NOLA who uses peach syrup instead of simple syrup in his juleps. We had it that way on Derby Day. The difference was superb. The peach and mint went together like hand in glove. You gotta try it.

I so hate having to do this type of research... ;)

John

Why is it that the makers of premix think that the more sugar they pack into those things the better? They're just so sweet that you can't taste anything else. I can't stand them!

Corn syrup seems to be in EVERYTHING these days to sweeten it up. I even found it in a bottle of caesar dressing my wife brought home. Blech!!!

That's why I make my own mint syrup when I make mojitos or mint juleps. :mrgreen:

John

Thanks for the warning! Sometimes on a whim I'll buy the already prepared bottles where all you have to add is the ice. I've never had a mojito and have been curious to try one so I'll def. steer clear of the premixed and make the fresh when I do. Thanks again!

VeraBlue - this is totally unrelated to mojitos but are you a midnight oil fan? It's just your signature is a line from one of their songs and I wasn't aware that they were all that well known outside of Australia...

there's a brand of more upscale products sold by our local giant grocery stores (tho a quick google tells me that several other stores sell it too) called "simply enjoy". they have a mojito mix out that i considered for a while, since it seemed to be all the right stuff...basically, a simple syrup with mint, but then i decided that mojitos were definitely best fresh. hmm, wonder if this stuff really would be an acceptable shortcut?

my bartender friend uses coconut soda as the mixer. it's yet another of the fantastic treasures we get from the asian market (and "coco rico" isn't a stealthy product, we've found it at every asian & hispanic grocery i've been to). it's NOT super sugary like coconut candy, but more like if you made coconut milk or fresh coconut juice into a moderately-sweet carbonated product. it's FANTASTIC.

and Anthea, midnight oil is quite well known outside of australia. the song Vera's quoting hit number 17 stateside.

Last edited:
Anthea said:
VeraBlue - this is totally unrelated to mojitos but are you a midnight oil fan? It's just your signature is a line from one of their songs and I wasn't aware that they were all that well known outside of Australia...

Yes, and Midnight Oil was very popular in the USA back in the 80s. I find that particular line and the song it comes from to be something I wish more people would take notice of. Hi, by the way, nice to meet you.

Ha! Okay, I guess I'm just plain ignorant or maybe the people I associate with are? Oh well!

Coconut soda sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a try sometime but I'm afraid it's a bit too cold to be drinking Mojitos in Australia at the moment... :(

Today called for Mojito's in the garden since the sun is shining, which is rare here this summer!

I also made the mint infused simple syrup and its lovely! Will be doing this from now on!!

I am having a mojito and fajita party. My simple syrup infused with mint and lime is made. I used raw sugar for the syrup so it is a deep golden color. The syrup tastes so good I could just drink it as is. I like using cacasha instead of rum so I have a bottle of that. I also have a bottle of dark rum from Nicaragua (great stuff!) and a bottle of 151 as well as a bottle of a lighter (amber colored) rum.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom