"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 01-26-2005, 02:44 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaru
Hmm... VT should be close enough to MA for me to find longtrail... Ineed to look into that.

About pilsner... yeah the green bottle is such a turnoff! I've bought it on two ocations and both times the beer was skunked, probably from sunlight.
Yep!, and if not sunlight - then flourescent lamps that almost all stores use (some even have them in the COOLERS!!! ARGH!!) will do it just as badly. Even the good beer store here in town has them, frankly, I don't think they make commercial coolers without them...

Went to the drugstore the other day and was shocked to see they had started carrying Pilsner Urquell! Sadly, it was in the cooler right behind one of those flourescent bulb. I passed.

John

Old 01-26-2005, 03:54 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
If I'm not mistaken, bucky..."Steel Reserve" is a malt liquor. I see at the convience store across the street usually sold in the 40 oz. bottles for $1.29. No wonder why it wasn't very good.
i had it in a can, and it was pretty bad. not sure if it's a malt liquor or not, but i'm not gonna bother to try it again. there was an equally bad high alcohol beer called camo 24 that i tasted. yuk.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:31 PM   #13
Senior Cook

BATF Designations

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
not sure if it's a malt liquor or not,
Just an FYI, AFAIK when written on the label, the words "Beer" "Ale" and "Malt Liquor" are simply BATF designations for alcohol content and really have nothing to do with brewing techniques etc. In fact, if you look at the small print on any Dopplebock or even most Oktoberfest imports you'll see "malt liquor" in small letters some place because of the high alcohol content.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:05 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks beerco. umm, what does afaik mean? i know the bureau, but i'm stumped on that one...
Old 01-26-2005, 11:14 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
thanks beerco. umm, what does afaik mean?
As Far As I Know?
Old 01-27-2005, 01:51 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

as far as you know what, mj? (just kidding)

thanks bud...
Old 01-27-2005, 10:36 PM   #17
Master Chef

I don't drink much beer but when I do I like Fat Tire Amber Ale. The best thing is my dad, who normally drinks Budweiser, yuck, likes Fat Tire. So, I don't have to have that other beer in my refrigerator. This has been a very interesting topic.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:38 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Consul Send a message via AIM to Consul
I'm a simple man when it comes to beer. Just give me a pint of Guinness straight from the oak cask.

In Colorado Springs, there was one place that served up a good Guinness. Where I live now (Port Huron, Michigan), I can pop over the border to an Irish pub in Sarnia, Ontario and enjoy the goodness.

Someday, I will try making my own beer, and a nice, creamy stout is on the list.

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry
Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 01:51 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Rather wasted as I am now let me ad what I was drinking tonight: blue moon. It's a rather thick pale beer made from wheat which I found particularly satisfying. I love "grain" tastes but not when they overpower the beer, so this one has a perfect balance for me. Now if you exuce me I must go pass out.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:08 PM   #20
Master Chef

I tried this beer, yesterday. It was very good. I liked the carmel taste. A friend of mine bought it with him from Portland.

The first Unibroue beer to be released in Ontario (in late 1995) and the beer that made me a fan of the brewery was Maudite. The name translates into "damned," and possesses a story based in Québec folklore. The label (all of Unibroue's labels are great - see some Unibroue artwork throughout their profile on The Bar Towel) is primarily orange, yellow and black, with a canoe flying through the air in front of a bright sun, with a smirking devil beneath them in the foreground. The label depicts a scene from a French-Canadian legend in which a group of impatient woodsmen, late returning home during the holidays, enter into an agreement with the devil. The devil agrees to fly their canoe home if they do not speak. If they are unable to fulfill their obligation, the devil gets their souls. They remain silent until, at the sight of Montréal's Notre Dame cathedral, they all cheer. They realise their fate, and all scream "Maudite!"

This is a beer with personality. At 8% alcohol, Maudite is an interpretive Belgian Strong Ale. Being bottle-conditioned, it is more aromatic and spicy than most standard ales. It is dark amber-ebony coloured, with hints of fruit and caramel in the flavour, and a wonderfully lingering finish. I immediately loved it the first time I tried it, and it remains one of my favourite beers. Unibroue itself proclaims that Maudite is "one great beer," and this is a sentiment which I wholly agree. Maudite is an extraordinary beer and one I am proud to call Canadian. Maudite is regularly stocked in six-packs in select LCBOs and Beer Stores.

http://www.bartowel.com/qc.phtml

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote