"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 04-08-2006, 10:01 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti
The screw tops had a little riddle on the inside, one that you could solve after imbibing six or seven. The best part was that you could buy a case for about $5.00.
hah! you see, beer makes you smarter, and more frugal!

i will never again drink steel reserve, or any of those high alcohol content chemical flavored beers. (unless i have to...)

i think one advertises that it is made from pure ethylene glycol. mmmm, glyyyyycol.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:36 AM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Budweiser and drugs, just say no! Regardless of cost, or lack thereof. If all that is being served is Budweiser products, I'll be designated driver that night!

Old 04-08-2006, 11:56 AM   #13
Master Chef

I really only like European-type beers, especially darks, because I like the "beery" taste. Even before light beers became so popular, I just found them too bland.

However, as far as beers that I've tried & nearly wanted my money back on, two come to mind:

"Rolling Rock" - for some reason, served in vegetarian establishments everywhere, this "brew", if you can call it that, is one tiny step up from drinking water.

"Kingfisher" - which is an Indian beer & which we had at a pricey Indian restaurant in Manhattan a number of years ago. I'll never forget our first sip, as well as my husband's immediate comment that it tasted like it had been made with water from the Ganges.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:34 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to GarrettB Send a message via Skype™ to GarrettB
I am admittedly a beer snob. I actually write page long reviews or so of each beer I have and post them on the internet.

Sadly, my family and most of my friends don't share this affinity for good brews. Also, I'm still in college which leaves me dry at most parties. Still, I can tolerate almost anything at the low, low cost of nothing.

Except Moose Drool. Never. Ever. Will I ever. Drink Moose Drool again.

It gets my vote for best box art though.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:14 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

lol garett, box art. i particularly like the advert artwork from the long trail brewery, with their "pollenator" and "double bag" brews.

hey ronjohn, is box art a collectible or (at least for home brew dudes) of any interest?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:25 AM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Bucky I love the Double Bag art. Hilarious!

As for beer not worth buying, The lowest I will go generally is Heineken, not that I consider it a bad bear. It is just the lowest I will go.
Now if I am at a BBQ or something like that and all they have is Bud and Busche etc. then I will not turn up my nose, but you will never catch me wasting $ on brands like that.

My FIL on the otherhand, when you ask him what his favorite beer is he says "cold".
Old 04-10-2006, 08:35 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB

My FIL on the otherhand, when you ask him what his favorite beer is he says "cold".
LOL! My Dad's favorite brand is "Whatever's on Sale".

As for the artwork, there are some very talented homebrewers out there who make up some incredible labels for there beers. I am not one of those homebrewers. Besides, I prefer kegs to bottles...

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:50 AM   #18
Master Chef

Pretty much all light beers are not worth buying. They look like you know what and probably that "you know what" taste like those beers too. Sorry to say, but there are very few mass produced American beers that are worth bying all together.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:26 AM   #19
Head Chef

I have to add a particular microbrew to the list as well...

Dogfish Head Pangea

Dogfish Head makes some great beers, I would not say the Pangea is one of them.

The concept is actually rather novel, they took ingredients from all over the globe, each continent. They used all of these ingredients in a single beer, to "recreate" pangea, the old super continent. The resulting beer was interesting, but far too busy. There were so many different things going on that they all kind of fought each other and got lost in the mix. In the end, I thought the beer was a disappointment.

I don't believe it's a regular production item, so I may not even have another chance to spend money on it, but I probably wouldn't even if I could.

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:30 AM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

John that is kind of an interesting concept. Do you happen to know which ingredients they used from each continent?