"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 10-30-2006, 11:18 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Blue Moon beer

Is great. It has high alcohol content, comes with oranges, and goes down nice and smooth...

Not to mention it is always on some sort of special in my area ! I love it !

Old 10-31-2006, 12:20 AM   #2
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Depending on the variety, it is great. I have never seen it come with citrus, but the heffewiezen is classic with a slice of oarnge. They have a pilsner that also good...

The white label is the heffe I think..

Old 10-31-2006, 06:56 AM   #3
Senior Cook

We've got Blue Moon on tap at work. It's one I'll have occasionally, but they can keep the fruit.

Lately though I've grown rather fond of Budweiser's Pumpkin Spice. Never before have I uttered those words INTENTIONALLY of, "I'll have a Bud, please." This is pretty decent stuff.

Ciao,
Old 10-31-2006, 07:07 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightsinCalifornia
Is great. It has high alcohol content, comes with oranges, and goes down nice and smooth...

Not to mention it is always on some sort of special in my area ! I love it !
It is real good--haven't seen/tried any with oranges IN it--it is served with them sometimes. Alcohol content is a normal level--not high.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:48 PM   #5
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Love It!!!!!

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:22 AM   #6
Head Chef

Blue Moon is a really good American interpretation of the witbier style. It's a bit heavier/darker in color and body than a true Belgian Wit, but a very good beer. As has been mentioned before here on the boards, it's actually made by Coors brewing.

For what may quite possibly be the best example of a witbier made in the USA, see if you can find a bottle of Celis White. It's now made by the Michigan Brewing Company, with the full blessing of Perre Celis himself. They even brought him in to recreate his original recipe (From back when he was running Celis Brewing in Austin, TX).

Or... Just stop by my place. I'm making a witbier again this weekend, and it's held its own quite nicely head to head (<-- Gratuitous beer pun...) against both Celis White, and the widely acknowledged standard bearer for the witbier style.. Hoegaarden Wit. (And I have the comment sheets to prove it!)

Oh, and the reason orange goes so well with these beers? They are brewed with orange peel (Usually curaco) in the beer when it is boiled up at the brewery!

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:30 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A
...I've grown rather fond of Budweiser's Pumpkin Spice...
Blue Moon also has a Pumpkin Spice that is quite tastey and is really quite a pretty label. The other to try if you are in the northern midwest would be Leinenkugels ... they do a great Apple Spice as well as their normal line.

(sorry - misspelled Leinies!)
Old 11-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger
Blue Moon also has a Pumpkin Spice that is quite tastey and is really quite a pretty label. The other to try if you are in the northern midwest would be Lienenkugels ... they do a great Apple Spice as well as their normal line.
We got one with this brand Lienenkugals w/some kind of berry. It is real good. I am curious about Pumpkin Spice by Blue Moon. Wonder where we can get it? Have to do some searching. Thanks for suggestions. Always help and interest .
Old 11-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #9
Hospitality Queen

Pumpkin Spice Budweiser? I've not seen that one!
Old 11-02-2006, 04:29 PM   #10
Head Chef

Leinenkugels makes a ton of different brews - several seasonal (like their Berryweis - spelling? and their Apple Spice) and all good. I really missed it when we lived out west and tended to stock up when we were back in Wisconsin.

Not sure were to recommend looking for the Blue Moon Pumpkin. My dad just started carrying it in his grocery store.