Brandy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jennyema said:
E and J Brandy is really not a great drinking brandy, IMO. It's pretty harsh.

I have a bottle on hand to use during summer SANGRIA making.

Why don't you make up a nice pitcher of Sangria next weekend?

While I agree with your Sangria suggestion, I differ with your opinion as to the harshness of E&J's VS brandy. If you wanna try harsh, try Fundador. Fundador is a Spanish brandy that is frequently used to make Sangria. Asbach Uralt is a heck of a lot more expensive than E&J and quite harsh. Perhaps the harshness to which you refer is the bite that comes from curing in oak.

E&J mixed with some Stock sweet vermouth can make a tasty brandy Manhattan.

Last edited:
Caine said:
Other than going into the keg around a St. Bernard's neck, I use brandy for my family's favorite Easter Dinner:

BRANDIED RABBIT IN MUSTARD SAUCE

1 medium frying Rabbit, cut up
1 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs butter
1 medium onion, quartered
whole cloves
bouquet garni
Salt and pepper
brandy
4 Tbs whipping cream
1-1/2 Tbs Dijon mustard

Pat rabbit pieces dry wioth paper towels and trim off any fat. Heat olive oil and butter in large skillet. Generously press whole cloves into onion quarters, add to skillet, and saute until onion is soft, but not browned. Season rabbit pieces with salt and pepper, add rabbit pieces and bouquet garni to pan, and saute rabbit pieces on all sides until browned.

Generously 'slosh' at least 1/2 cup brandy over top of rabbit pieces, cover, and cook over medium low heat for about 30 minutes, or until rabbit pieces are cooked through. Remove rabbit pieces from pan and keep warm.

Discard onion quarters, cloves, and bouquet garni. Increase heat to medium high. Add cream and mustard, stirring constantly until slightly thickened. Return rabbit pieces to pan and coat on all sides with sauce. Serve immediately.
Why wait for Easter? That sounds delicious anytime! :chef:

justplainbill said:
While I agree with your Sangria suggestion, I differ with your opinion as to the harshness of E&J's VS brandy. If you wanna try harsh, try Fundador. Fundador is a Spanish brandy that is frequently used to make Sangria. Asbach Uralt is a heck of a lot more expensive than E&J and quite harsh. Perhaps the harshness to which you refer is the bite that comes from curing in oak.

Aging in oak doesn't make it harsh. Quite the opposite, actually.

I have a bottle of E&J VSOP and it's nothing I would drink straight up. Sorry.

100 degrees

mudbug said:
best to drink it straight up in a nice bowled glass in front of a roaring fire during an evening snowstorm in January.

Sounds good right now about snowstorm. It is almost 100 degrees outside right now so they say. Good thing I bought the brandy, I'll be ready when the snow comes! You always have good thoughts, mudbug.

jennyema said:

Ahh, Jennyema, I agree with you there, but try the E&J Patriarch--if you can find it!

For several months (5+) I’ve been cogitating about your opinion of EJ Brandy and have concluded that I should inquire as to what opinions you might have about Lepanto and / or Vecchia Romagna Etichetta Nera?

Should I feel like a dolt that E&J VSOP is my favorite?
I can't afford much more than that, but if there's better around $20 for a1.75l I will try it.
E&J VS is cheaper but I think it's a little harsh.

Vecchia Romagna is good, have u ever tried the Oro one?
Can't get that anymore, or order it in, my parents have a bottle of it...not bad at all, supposed to be some good stuff!!!

My BF loves the black one.

you might not be able to try and get the gold one anymore. (pls tell me if u ever see it!)
My parents asked my sis to get it from Italy if she could find it but couldn't.
Someone said it was at a Duty free store, it's not
and the liquor shop that can order anything in that we go to, could not at all get it.
I think there are 3 of them Black, gold and something else.

Back
Top Bottom